PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Spyder Composits?

SPOKE
12-28-2016, 04:00 PM
Anyone have recent experience getting a carbon frame or wheel repaired by Spyder Composites??
I have sent 2 emails through their contact page on their website but haven't received a reply. First email was sent a couple weeks before Christmas. Second one was sent today.....
The phone number just goes to a mail box that's full.

SoCalSteve
12-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Anyone have recent experience getting a carbon frame or wheel repaired by Spyder Composites??
I have sent 2 emails through their contact page on their website but haven't received a reply. First email was sent a couple weeks before Christmas. Second one was sent today.....
The phone number just goes to a mail box that's full.

No experience with that company, but the lack of response and voicemail box full would throw up red flags for me instantly. After the experience I had with Ruckus ( who actually did answer their phone ) I'd look elsewhere.

ultraman6970
12-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Not defending them but a lot of people goes away for a week or two at the end of the year.

SoCalSteve
12-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Not defending them but a lot of people goes away for a week or two at the end of the year.

Absolutely true, but they leave an outgoing message stating that fact and when they will be returning and a canned response on their email as well...again, not very professional.

AngryScientist
12-28-2016, 05:35 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder31/62279031.jpg

don't bother. if you cant get in touch with them for new business forget trying when they have your frame and it's 6 months behind schedule.

Pi Guy
12-28-2016, 05:39 PM
No experience with that company, but the lack of response and voicemail box full would throw up red flags for me instantly. After the experience I had with Ruckus ( who actually did answer their phone ) I'd look elsewhere.

Apologies for the drift...what happened with Ruckus if you don't mind?

Cicli
12-28-2016, 05:44 PM
I wont do business with someone who cant answer an email. If they are out of town, fine. Set up your email accordingly. Its easy to do.
Move on.

SoCalSteve
12-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Apologies for the drift...what happened with Ruckus if you don't mind?

Lots of information regarding them on this site ( pretty much all bad ). Do a search. I've posted a few things regarding my experience with them and getting my Ottrott fixed.

duncanknudsen
12-28-2016, 05:55 PM
I've almost used Spyder once for a cracked top tube. I went through the entire process of contacting and meeting Frank, but because of a pending lawsuit (the reason my bike was broken) I didn't end up using him. I had a top tube impact fracture, he quoted $240 for the repair.

Frank has two jobs: Frank works through Cycle Haus in Los Gatos, and runs the Spyder Composites carbon repair shop located at 901 Camden Ave. #6B
Campbell, CA 95008. It looks like his yelp page is FINALLY fixed. He previously had his home address on Yelp which made me drive 2 hours out of my way into the santa cruz mountains, before he called me back saying where the shop actually was in Campbell.

While I can't speak to his work personally. I can say he is not especially concerned with providing fast turn around. Be prepared for your bike to be in the shop for 2-6 weeks. Maybe more.

pinoymamba
12-28-2016, 06:04 PM
i'm local so it was very easy for me. I dropped off my old canyon at his house took about a day and we met up at starbucks. Forgot what it cost me $160?

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/10981357525_f9460fc9c3_m_d.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2846/11165097013_9a70dd3f27_m_d.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/11165061424_6bd8e55559_m_d.jpg

When i crashed i cracked the seat stays. I bought the frame with a repaired chainstay. He checked it out and said it was good and repainted it for me. Easy guy to work with. We communicated via text messages.

Raced and road the canyon for a few months after before I cracked the fork on a bike mount. Had to wait for a used fork on eBay UK. Sold it to my buddy who raced and road it until it's recent retirement due to starting a relationship... lol

kramnnim
12-28-2016, 09:37 PM
Drew Wilson @ Cyclocarbon. Email him, or message him on Facebook.

sales guy
12-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Ryan at Phoenix Fiberworks in Minnesota. They did an amazing job for me recently. The paint repair I had was incredibly tough too. And it was for a show bike. So it needed to be perfect. It was. I was thrilled with them.

cmbicycles
12-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Drew Wilson @ Cyclocarbon. Email him, or message him on Facebook.
Ive had great service from Drew/cyclocarbon as well. I had my frame back in about 2 weeks including shipping both ways.

Mikeys
12-29-2016, 11:43 AM
his website is super cheesy and his assistant can be a little brash, but you could try frame doctor in FL.

http://framedoctor911.com/fdmain.htm

The shop I worked at in Florida sent all carbon repairs to him. The work was good and the turnaround time wasn't too bad.

Pi Guy
12-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Lots of information regarding them on this site ( pretty much all bad ). Do a search. I've posted a few things regarding my experience with them and getting my Ottrott fixed.

Will do. Thanks.