PDA

View Full Version : OT: LOL! Javelinas

RFC
12-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Apparently there was a shootout at 92nd and Sweetwater in Scottsdale this morning at 6:45.

A woman and her dog were being chased by a Javelina and guy stop his car, got out and started shooting at it. The police then grilled him about discharging a firearm in the city limits.

In the future, this event will be known as the “Sweetwater Javelina Shootout.”

Duende
12-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Javelinas are no joke. The shooter might have saved the ladies life. But I'm sure you know this living in Scottsdale

RFC
12-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Javelinas are no joke. The shooter might have saved the ladies life. But I'm sure you know this living in Scottsdale

Actual javelina attacks are very rare and tend to be limited to baby season. They might charge, but almost always halt and run away. I've dealt with them hundreds of times. I promise you that domestic dog bites are hundreds of times more common.

And, actually, given that no one was hurt and the gunmen missed, I do think this is kind of funny.

Keep in mind that this is a suburban neighborhood with lots of nearby open space, so we have lots of wildlife moving through.

I always get a kick out of the posts on the neighborhood forum when someone who does not have experience with wildlife sees a 25 lb coyote or a 15 lb bobcat and, in a panic, demands that the local authorities kill it because it's going to carry away her grandchildren. They see a coyote or bobcat and think timber wolf or tiger.

twolve
12-28-2016, 03:14 PM
AHH hilarious. I'm leaving Minneapolis for Cave Creek tomorrow, but I might have to skip the vacation in fear of javelinas!

gomango
12-28-2016, 03:17 PM
AHH hilarious. I'm leaving Minneapolis for Cave Creek tomorrow, but I might have to skip the vacation in fear of javelinas!

Take your sunscreen.

Folks from Minnesota need it. :)

The sunburn might be more dangerous.

RFC
12-28-2016, 03:42 PM

Be careful! Word is that javelinas have taken over the Cave Creek City Council.

jlwdm
12-28-2016, 04:07 PM
l lived in Scottsdale north of Carefree for 12 years and saw more than my share of javelinas. We lived on the edge of a wash and their regular route came up our driveway from the wash. They would stop at the entry courtyard and eat the cactus - usually about a dozen of them at a time. We had to install a gate at the entry courtyard and another one between the wash and the driveway.

Javelinas are essentially blind and travel their routes by smell. Thus they scare easily when you sneak up on them while biking. They are faster than you would expect in a short sprint when they have babies in the group.

Jeff

Duende
12-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Actual javelina attacks are very rare and tend to be limited to baby season. They might charge, but almost always halt and run away. I've dealt with them hundreds of times. I promise you that domestic dog bites are hundreds of times more common.

And, actually, given that no one was hurt and the gunmen missed, I do think this is kind of funny.

Keep in mind that this is a suburban neighborhood with lots of nearby open space, so we have lots of wildlife moving through.

I always get a kick out of the posts on the neighborhood forum when someone who does not have experience with wildlife sees a 25 lb coyote or a 15 lb bobcat and, in a panic, demands that the local authorities kill it because it's going to carry away her grandchildren. They see a coyote or bobcat and think timber wolf or tiger.
I grew up in Tucson. I saw a pack of Javelinas two months ago roaming my brothers neighborhood. You could smell them before you saw them.

For Bobcats, coincidentally a much bigger than 15lb one was playing on our roof over the holidays.

Agreed though that the bobcats and coyotes are nothing to be afraid of... We have to disagree on the Javelinas.

Once ran into a mountain lion on my bike while riding out of Sabino canyon.. Now that was definitely something to be afraid of!

drewellison
12-28-2016, 04:12 PM
I'd never heard of these. I had no idea what you were talking about, thinking this was about an old American Motors car or something.

Googling unearthed this.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/scottsdale/2016/05/07/fountain-hills-woman-recovering-javelina-attack/84060746/

BobO
12-28-2016, 04:16 PM
Agreed though that the bobcats and coyotes are nothing to be afraid of... We have to disagree on the Javelinas.

A few years back a friend of mine in Payson was very badly injured by a bobcat. The cat had attacked his Golden Retriever in his back yard along the ninth fairway of Payson Golf Course and he moved to save the dog. I can assure you that bobcats are absolutely something to be wary of. Coyotes under the right circumstances can be very dangerous as well. These are wild animals and it is wise to treat them with respect.

RFC
12-28-2016, 04:47 PM
I grew up in Tucson. I saw a pack of Javelinas two months ago roaming my brothers neighborhood. You could smell them before you saw them.

For Bobcats, coincidentally a much bigger than 15lb one was playing on our roof over the holidays.

Once ran into a mountain lion on my bike while riding out of Sabino canyon.. Now that was definitely something to be afraid of!

Seeing a mountain lion would cause me concern. The word is that, because they are so stealthy, you will never see one unless it's stalking you.

RFC
12-28-2016, 04:50 PM
A few years back a friend of mine in Payson was very badly injured by a bobcat. The cat had attacked his Golden Retriever in his back yard along the ninth fairway of Payson Golf Course and he moved to save the dog. I can assure you that bobcats are absolutely something to be wary of. Coyotes under the right circumstances can be very dangerous as well. These are wild animals and it is wise to treat them with respect.

Agree about treating them with respect and I have no desire to hug a javelina. When I see them, I give them lots of room to move on. Also, they don't like dogs since their main natural enemy is the coyote. Particularly when they have babies, the presence of a dog may motivate a charge.

Regarding the bobcat and your friend, was the bobcat attacking the dog or vice versa? Either way, it wasn't stalking and attacking your friend. Ever try to separate two cats in a fight? I have and have the scars to prove it.

Frankly, with my scenario, I am much more concerned about the shooter shooting into the winter darkness in a fully built out residential community.

Gummee
12-28-2016, 05:06 PM
The dog and I got caught between a herd (?) of Jhavelina and a pack of coyotes coming back from an evening run. Only time I've wished I had a handgun on a run.

Managed to avoid both groups by taking a hard left back into open desert and letting things be

M

purpurite
12-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Totally had to Google "Javelina."

I had no idea.

RFC
12-28-2016, 05:13 PM
The dog and I got caught between a herd (?) of Jhavelina and a pack of coyotes coming back from an evening run. Only time I've wished I had a handgun on a run.

Managed to avoid both groups by taking a hard left back into open desert and letting things be

M

Sounds like quite a party!

Gummee
12-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Sounds like quite a party!

The dog and I were somewhat concerned...

M

Cicli
12-28-2016, 06:24 PM
I know this old guy that lives out by Tonapah west of Phoenix. He eats them there Javalina.

jlwdm
12-28-2016, 07:01 PM
I know this old guy that lives out by Tonapah west of Phoenix. He eats them there Javalina.

There is a candy shop near me that sells chocolate covered javelina bacon. I love chocolate and bacon but not chocolate covered javelina bacon. Once was enough.

Jeff

zmudshark
12-28-2016, 07:27 PM

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAT3BXzVTME), and Tonapah is nowhere near Phoenix.

CampyorBust
12-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Where is my Javalina?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Bxu8qXrCYAAjsuc.png-small_zpsfcy8xuzo.png

christian
12-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Javelinas are 35-lb ungulates. Unless you're feeding them, or otherwise inviting contact, you have nothing at all to fear from them. My view is that this is yet another a good example of why idiots shouldn't carry hand guns.

Gummee
12-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Javelinas are 35-lb ungulates. Unless you're feeding them, or otherwise inviting contact, you have nothing at all to fear from them. My view is that this is yet another a good example of why idiots shouldn't carry hand guns.

None of us here were there. I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt.

M

cadence90
12-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Apparently there was a shootout at 92nd and Sweetwater in Scottsdale this morning at 6:45.

A woman and her dog were being chased by a Javelina and guy stop his car, got out and started shooting at it. The police then grilled him about discharging a firearm in the city limits.

And, actually, given that no one was hurt and the gunman missed, I do think this is kind of funny.

This is scarier to me than any animal wandering through the neighborhood.

Another reason to avoid going anywhere near the greater Phoenix area ever again; I lived there for a year...and hated every nano-second of it.

Frankly, with my scenario, I am much more concerned about the shooter shooting into the winter darkness in a fully built out residential community.
Absolutely. That behavior is incredibly irresponsible, and potentially extremely tragic. Really stupid, imo.

Duende
12-28-2016, 08:00 PM

Of course you don't want to invite contact. But in this case they were chasing a woman. Now I agree the guy shouldn't be firing off a gun in city limits, but in this case.. I'd shoot the pig too.

Anyway's, to each his own. I'll trust my own life's experience having grown up in the desert thank you very much.

Gummee
12-28-2016, 08:01 PM
I hear the secret is to marinate/slow cook in tequila for 24 hrs, toss out that out and do it again the next day too. Only then are they edible.

I've seen some good recipies, but haven't tried one yet

M

CampyorBust
12-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Found it!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/The_Royal_Tenenbaums_354_zpsv0batyfi.jpg
:D

RFC
12-28-2016, 08:34 PM
I hear the secret is to marinate/slow cook in tequila for 24 hrs, toss out that out and do it again the next day too. Only then are they edible.

I've seen some good recipies, but haven't tried one yet

M

Then, throw away the meat and drink the juice.

RFC
12-28-2016, 08:39 PM
The dog and I were somewhat concerned...

M

Sounds like they had a rumble planned and you got in the middle.

Gummee
12-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Sounds like they had a rumble planned and you got in the middle.

yup

Completely by accident. The coyotes were funneling the jhavelina into a corner of the desert and against a housing development's wall

M

RFC
12-28-2016, 09:32 PM
yup

Completely by accident. The coyotes were funneling the jhavelina into a corner of the desert and against a housing development's wall

M

I'm sure it was a helluva fight. Would have paid to see it. Very Mad Max.

BobO
12-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Regarding the bobcat and your friend, was the bobcat attacking the dog or vice versa? Either way, it wasn't stalking and attacking your friend. Ever try to separate two cats in a fight? I have and have the scars to prove it.

The dog was very old. The cat got him when he was let out to pee before bedtime. My friend wasn't breaking up a fight, he was separating the cat from it's prey. Anyway, he charged the cat and it attacked.

Agreed, unless it was legitimate self defense.

RFC
12-28-2016, 10:17 PM
The dog was very old. The cat got him when he was let out to pee before bedtime. My friend wasn't breaking up a fight, he was separating the cat from it's prey. Anyway, he charged the cat and it attacked.

Agreed, unless it was legitimate self defense.

Thanks for your thoughts. It's a matter of interpretation. I don't think 15-25 lb bobcats normally consider 70 + lb Goldens to be prey, even if they are very old. More likely, your friend let the Golden outside. It followed it's basic instincts and went after the surprised cat, which fought back. Your friend tried to separate the two and ended up cat slashed.

Ronsonic
12-28-2016, 11:20 PM
Don't know javelina at all. Here we've got pigs and they do need shot.

I did run across a bobcat on the trail last weekend. Came up behind him to within 10 yards or so. Haven't met big cats in the wild before.

But pigs, way too many pigs.

93legendti
12-29-2016, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't mess with a bobcat. According to this, they prey on deer and lamb, as well as smaller animals...

http://www.defenders.org/bobcat/bobcats

jlwdm
12-29-2016, 04:11 AM
Young bobcats used to sleep on our patio furniture.

Jeff

Walter
12-29-2016, 06:57 AM
I live in Tucson on the east side adjacent the Saguaro Natl Park. Many coyotes, javalinas and a few bobcats on our property. We have dogs, horses, and donkeys. No problem getting along w/o any incidents. Just be cautious when any of them have babies along...

BobO
12-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. It's a matter of interpretation. I don't think 15-25 lb bobcats normally consider 70 + lb Goldens to be prey, even if they are very old. More likely, your friend let the Golden outside. It followed it's basic instincts and went after the surprised cat, which fought back. Your friend tried to separate the two and ended up cat slashed.

You assume too much, as the above does not represent what actually happened.

Ronsonic
12-29-2016, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't mess with a bobcat. According to this, they prey on deer and lamb, as well as smaller animals...

http://www.defenders.org/bobcat/bobcats

I just hope they develop a taste for pig.