PDA

View Full Version : OT: New hard drive

keno
07-29-2006, 02:35 AM
As I mentioned in my mortality adventure thread, my hard drive is cooked in my Compaq Presario 8000. It's a nice machine, having done the job for nearly five years without incident. I'd like to replace the drive myself.

I'm looking for advice as to 1) what new drive to buy and 2) how to do this and end up with a working computer. I'm willing to follow instructions exactly.

Thanks,

keno

Serpico
07-29-2006, 04:15 AM
Ken,

I just replaced a drive on a laptop and used an EZ Upgrade Kit (http://reviews.cnet.com/EZ_Upgrade_Universal_Notebook_Hard_Drive_Upgrade_K it_with_Hi_Speed_USB_2_0_enclosure_and_cloning_sof tware/4505-3014_7-30536726.html?tag=txt) (you're more than willing to have it, but I'm not sure it would work with a desktop--the software possibly, but the drive will be too big [physically] to fit in the holder).

'Back in the day' I would simply install a new drive, partition the drive and install from scratch. Today's cloning software makes it much easier--you just use a simple kit to copy everything from the old drive to the new (I just replaced a 30gb drive on my laptop with a new 160gb drive--took about 5 mins to setup and 30 mins to copy--super easy).

I'm not sure what 'cooked' means, but if it isn't even functional, then the above might be moot.

Either way, upgrading a hard drive shouldn't be too difficult. Check this link out http://www.search.com/search?q=upgrade+your+hard+drive

Feel free to pm me, and I can even forward my cell#

As far as brands go, Seagate or Western Digital are highly respected--and the seek time, in rpms (ie 7200rpm), is the number you want to pay attention to after the size (ie 80gb). You might see the terms 'IDE or SCSI', you have an IDE drive.

Let me know if you need anything.

-Jason

DavidK
07-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Avoid Maxtor like the plague and I think you'll be fine.

Western Digital are pretty good on the quality front.

keno
07-29-2006, 05:50 AM
I'll avoid the maxtor for the HD. For better or worse, I just bought a new maxtor III one-touch 200GB external for backup on the advice of an IT pro on ebay for $103 shipped. Horse is probably out the barn though, as my local computer shop told me the HD is wrecked. I haven't decided what to do about data recovery, so the transfer problem is moot, serpico. Thanks anyhow.

I read the invoice for the Presario and as to the HD it reads "60GB 7200 U100 All". I'd put a 100GB in (for no good reason as I'm not a data hound, don't play computer games, don't have a huge photo file) as cost isn't that much different to move from 60 to 100.

keno

Dekonick
07-29-2006, 06:33 PM
If you have expansion slots available (PCI slots - ) I suggest you get a SATA drive with a SATA controller card. Much easier to install SATA drives, better performance, and when you go for a new machine - it will be a snap to take it over.

Seagate makes great drives and now offers a 5 year warranty on all of their drives. Maxtor is terrible. Western Digital has a great reputation, especially on their raptor drives.

It is really easy to do - almost plug and play.

check out www.outpost.com
www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com

there are other places, but the above are easy to deal with (especially newegg)

Good luck!

Spectrum Bob
07-29-2006, 08:48 PM
I am certainly glad that I also just got a Maxtor III one-touch 200GB external hard drive.
Hi Ken

shaq-d
07-30-2006, 02:33 AM
i use maxtor drives. they do a great job. the worst is seagate. seems everybody has a differnet experience.

that said, western digital does seem to have a great reputation.

sd

Dekonick
07-30-2006, 11:17 AM
True. I have had nothing but trouble with maxtor - but others may have different experiences. A 5 year warranty is nice - drive fails = get another.

The WD Raptor drives are essentially commercial drives with 50,000 hour + life expectancy. They are also fast - 10,000 rpm v.s. 5400 o 7800. They are not cheap, but worth the cash.

:)

I still say avoid maxtor :p