PDA

View Full Version : Ellen Watters hit, seriously injured

fiamme red
12-27-2016, 10:14 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-ellen-waters-cycling-1.3913377

RCMP Sgt. André Pepin said conditions were sunny and clear when the collision occurred around 2:30 p.m.

Pepin said Watters and the Volkswagen Golf were travelling in the same direction on Riverview Drive East in Lower Cove. Watters was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

No charges have been laid.:crap:

I'm hoping that she can overcome the odds and make a full recovery.

carpediemracing
12-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Terrible.

http://www.velonews.com/2016/12/news/canadian-ellen-watters-critically-injured-training-crash_426932

"However, given her injuries and the results of scans and observation over the past few days, we do not anticipate a recovery."

CSTRider
12-28-2016, 12:01 AM
So so sad ... praying for a miracle.

stephenmarklay
12-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Very sad. Young with so much drive. I am certain she will rise to the top in some capacity again.

AngryScientist
12-28-2016, 07:16 AM
terrible. i will keep her in my thoughts and hope for the best.

a strong body and youth are two huge factors that will help her. fingers crossed.

oldguy00
12-28-2016, 08:23 AM
They announced on facebook today that she has passed. :(
Somewhat local to me, an hour from my home town. Very sad.
Apparently no charges have been laid.

It's very difficult to find the right way to share news that is so important and so terrible for so many people. Ellen no longer had any brain function when the excellent and very kind doctors examined her this afternoon

572cv
12-28-2016, 09:40 AM
As a father with a daughter who cycles, it is always deeply moving to read stories like this. I hope the collective support of friends and relatives helps to buoy her family, her parents. And if there is justice to be done, may it be swift and sure, that that aspect of the grief can be left settled. Rest in peace.

fiamme red
12-28-2016, 10:00 AM
What a terrible thing, the senseless killing of this young woman who had so much to offer the world. :(

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-trained-cyclist-ellen-watters-dies-four-days-after-serious-collision-in-new-brunswick

In a statement on Facebook, a relative of the Watters family named Lily said Watters, 28, did not have any brain function when doctors examined her Tuesday afternoon. She had been in hospital in serious condition since Friday.

“She was surrounded by family, and so many dear friends, over the past few days, and has received more support than I could have imagined,” the statement said.

“Ellen was truly an awesome force. Everyone who knew Ellen was better off for it. She shared joy with everyone she knew, and took joy in sharing her love and positivity around her.”http://wpmedia.ottawacitizen.com/2016/12/cyclist-ellen-watters-was-seriously-injured-in-a-collision-n3.jpeg?quality=55&strip=all&w=840&h=630&crop=1

ntb1001
12-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Really sad story.
Everytime I read a story like this...it makes me worry about my kids...and myself cycling.
I still feel safer on my bike than my motorcycle. I guess it's because when you're cycling, you're at the side of the road instead of dead centre.

No way to really rationalize anything about this...just very sad, and hope most of us stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

stephenmarklay
12-28-2016, 10:08 AM
No words. Very very sad.

Bim
12-28-2016, 10:27 AM
It's the opposite for me. I feel safer on a moto because people see me right in the middle of a lane and I can speed up if I need to. On a bicycle, I have to stay on the far right and there are just too many drivers squeezing in leaving me only a few inches of space.

Really sad story.
Everytime I read a story like this...it makes me worry about my kids...and myself cycling.
I still feel safer on my bike than my motorcycle. I guess it's because when you're cycling, you're at the side of the road instead of dead centre.

No way to really rationalize anything about this...just very sad, and hope most of us stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

fiamme red
12-28-2016, 10:34 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/ellen-watters-death-1.3914004

According to Watters's mother, the cyclist once said that if she "had to die for the roads to be safer for other cyclists, then [she] would be OK with that."

In the wake of Watters's death, her family and friends are orchestrating a campaign to make the one-metre rule a law for motorists in New Brunswick...Unfortunately, a one-metre law won't help much when a cyclist is hit from behind by a distracted driver. I'm not saying that the driver in this case was definitely distracted, but I suspect it. :crap:

dgauthier
12-28-2016, 10:48 AM
(...) I still feel safer on my bike than my motorcycle. I guess it's because when you're cycling, you're at the side of the road instead of dead centre (...)

You are not safer when you are mowed down from behind by someone who has drifted on to the shoulder because they are looking at their phone.

Have you not noticed virtually none of the accidents posted here over the past couple of years involve cars and bicycles going in different directions? Everyone is getting mowed down from behind these days, and the police don't push to find out why.

tiretrax
12-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Really sad story.

Agreed.

RIP.

Black Dog
12-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Until distracted driving is criminalized and enforced none of us will be safe in a world of distraction addicts. I am not saying that her death was a result of distracted driving but getting hit in the middle of the day with the sun out usually does not happen unless the driver's attention is not fully engaged in driving. This is so sad and happened close to where I grew up and I was driving on the very road last weekend while I was in New Brunswick visiting my family.

Condolences to the family that has to pick up all the pieces of their broken hearts.

Hawker
12-28-2016, 03:45 PM
A sad, terrible thing so be sure. Prayers for Ellen and family. I hate this. :confused:

rwsaunders
12-28-2016, 07:32 PM
That's a tough read...kind thoughts out to her family and friends.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2016, 05:57 AM
You are not safer when you are mowed down from behind by someone who has drifted on to the shoulder because they are looking at their phone.

Have you not noticed virtually none of the accidents posted here over the past couple of years involve cars and bicycles going in different directions? Everyone is getting mowed down from behind these days, and the police don't push to find out why.

They know why. Distracted/impaired/negligent drivers. What to do about this is the question.

Sad, may she rest in peace.

Hawker
12-30-2016, 12:14 PM
They know why. Distracted/impaired/negligent drivers. What to do about this is the question.

Sad, may she rest in peace.

From the cases I've read, the cops don't do much. They classify it as an accident and let it go. I'm sure it's horrible for the drivers as well...but it's not death. I've had some close calls as many of us have and I really think there should be huge fines if it can be proved the cell phone was involved. BIG fines, $25K or higher to make every driver re-consider their actions. Used to be I felt safer on my bike than my motorcycle, not really so anymore.

kevinvc
12-30-2016, 12:56 PM
... I've had some close calls as many of us have and I really think there should be huge fines if it can be proved the cell phone was involved. BIG fines, $25K or higher to make every driver re-consider their actions.

The Oregon Senate President wants to pass a law that would make the punishment for using a cell phone while driving the equivalent of DUI. The punishment would be much more severe. From the linked article: (http://bikeportland.org/2016/12/16/oregon-senate-prez-wants-distracted-driving-penalties-on-par-with-drunk-driving-209757)

"The current law comes with a maximum fine of $500. Courtney thinks that’s not sending a strong enough message. He wants to increase that max fine to $6,250 or one year in prison or both. And it wouldn’t stop there.

If someone was stopped three or more times within a 10-year period they could face a maximum of five years in prison and up to $125,000 in fines. The proposed bill would also trigger felony charges on someone’s third conviction. There would be a minimum fine of $1,000 for a first-time conviction and $1,500 for the second conviction. A third conviction would be treated as a felony and would come with a $2,000 minimum fine unless the person was given a prison sentence."

I think his intentions are good, but this is a poorly thought out and worded bill. It would also be largely useless since I've never seen or heard of the police pulling anyone over for being obviously distracted while driving. There's no enforcement of the current law, making a new one that is more severe isn't going to change anything. People already know it's illegal but that they'll get away with it.

In my opinion, police should check the cell phone records for the driver anytime they are investigating a collision, but I don't see that happening either.

Matthew
12-30-2016, 02:16 PM
So, so sad to read stories like these. Prayers to her family and friends.

BobO
12-30-2016, 08:25 PM
My sincerest condolences to the family and friends.

In my opinion, police should check the cell phone records for the driver anytime they are investigating a collision, but I don't see that happening either.

Why not? Officers do sobriety checks at almost all collisions. It should be just another part of the protocol to check for phone mis-use. It is only reasonable to investigate that as a causal factor. Particularly if there is reason to suspect lack of attention was the reason for the collision.

I agree that punishments for causing a death with a car in an "accident" are far too lax. I think the solution to that begins with the recognition that most of the time these are not accidents, they are collisions that are the result of negligence and/or incompetence. There are accidents that occur due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. But, when there is blame to be laid, place it on someone with appropriate penalties. When you mess up and kill someone, you should expect your own life to change for the worse in a number of profound ways. Such is the responsibility that comes with the right to operate on the public roads.