PDA

View Full Version : OT: Amazon customer service, now as bad as AT&T

josephr
12-27-2016, 05:31 PM
I used to consider Amazon's customer service top-notch, but when I had an issue today with my Prime renewal, I had an online chat and then a phone call with someone with a policy playbook and an extreme sense of duty to the customer service script? Of course, everyone here knows my chat/call is with someone in a foreign country but that irrelevant to my point. Every response is "I'm sorry you're having a negative experience but our policy is this/that." Why hire real live people if you're going to force them to act as robots?

Cicli
12-27-2016, 05:33 PM
I used to consider Amazon's customer service top-notch, but when I had an issue today with my Prime renewal, I had an online chat and then a phone call with someone with a policy playbook and an extreme sense of duty to the policy playbook. Of course, everyone here knows my chat/call is with someone in a foreign country, but this is just my point. Every response is "I'm sorry you're having a negative experience but our policy is this/that."

why hire real live people if you're going to force them to act as robots?

Call Comcast. I actually felt bad for how the guy drove me to treat him.

Schmed
12-27-2016, 05:43 PM
We have a vendor at my company (we buy a few $1000 worth of stuff from them per year).

In talking with the owner of that company, he started a program as follows: If a customer service agent can fix the problem, and that fix costs the company less than $50, then they have full authority to take that action and fix the problem.

I'm instituting that policy at our company. Because I hate the type of story that you just relayed!

paredown
12-27-2016, 06:04 PM
The notion of empowerment was a lot of what drove the great service at Nordstroms--sales clerks could "use their own best judgement"--and there are lots of stories of cabs being taken to airports to make sure bridesmaid dresses made the flight with bridesmaids, suits personally delivered, and other even more epic stories.

I recently had dealings with a storage container company. The line guys--order and delivery were great--but the billing people seemed like they worked for a different company, and were not empowered to solve anything. Our problem finally got sorted just the other day, but it was an excruciating experience to call, explain and find out that no one could do anything.

Then I got the obligatory post-completion 'How did we do?' phone call--gave them what I thought were helpful suggestions on what they might do to improve--and then a promised return call to discuss never happened. Whoops!

A lot of companies talk the talk, but it is much harder to walk the walk. IMO.

soulspinner
12-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Amazon Prime has two of my parcels in transit and they are extremely late. egads they suck.

shovelhd
12-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Amazon is going to outsource customer service to an Echo Dot. Their goal in life is to automate everything.

The VW TDI Buyback claims line, powered by Ankura, has been my most recent low in customer service. The reps know nothing, refuse to escalate, promise callbacks that never come, and are empowered only to get you off the phone as soon as possible.

zzy
12-27-2016, 10:08 PM
To be fair, dealing with Amazon itself is far different than dealing with its marketplace vendors. Amazon is a notoriously nasty company to both vendors and its own employees. But it makes sure the customer gets taken care of. I would be curious to know what your problem actually was.

Hilltopperny
12-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Had an issue with a chromebook my wife bought me for my birthday. Returned the item as it never worked properly and they charged my wife more than half of the original cost for a restocking fee. My wife has sent multiple emails to try and resolve the situation to no avail. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past and explanations apparently aren't needed...

VTCaraco
12-27-2016, 11:09 PM
I had a frustrating exchange and reached out to tell them via their contact customer support link through their Help menu.
I got a fairly senior person on the phone that evening and he went way out of his way to make things right.
Admittedly, we've been Prime members and do a fair bit of business with them, but it still impressed me.
The chat option and first-line of customer service can be anemic, but with a little push, I bet you'd get complete satisfaction.

roguedog
12-27-2016, 11:20 PM
I had a similar revelation when trying to go thru the return process for an item. I always felt fairly safe buying on Amazon but this time I was faced with a 5.99 fee to either put my item in the Amazon locker or ship it via UPS. The item only cost like $14.

Shifty and sad. This is pushing the pendulum back to retail. What a pain the ass. And why would I pay .. so I can drive 2 miles to the nearest Amazon locker? It'd be really nice and convenient if it were "free" but it shouldn't be 5.99! Dude. If I could mail it back it'd prob only cost a couple bucks (small item).

Fivethumbs
12-27-2016, 11:59 PM
I bought NBA 2K17 from Amazon for my son for Christmas for 51.99. Unfortunately he wanted the NBA 2K17 Legends Gold Edition. I tried to initiate a return through the website but was unable to do so. I called customer service and the lady said she would credit my card the original 51.99 and I did not have to return the game. She said I could keep the original game or give it away or whatever.

vqdriver
12-28-2016, 12:04 AM
Ive been quite happy with my prime membership. Im unsure what could possibly go wrong with a renewal since it seems binary, either youre in or youre not.

josephr
12-28-2016, 10:28 AM
To be fair, dealing with Amazon itself is far different than dealing with its marketplace vendors. Amazon is a notoriously nasty company to both vendors and its own employees. But it makes sure the customer gets taken care of. I would be curious to know what your problem actually was.

so, my Prime membership automatically renewed on Dec 20 and charged me $106.92. Times are a little tight right (will work for food, etc) so its not a good time. I received one or two emails about it a few weeks ago, but nothing in the last week and certainly not a day-of notification. Anyway, I was checking my account yesterday and realized this had had gone down. When I cancelled my Prime online, it was only set to refund me $98.xx back. Anyway, the rep was asking me about why I should expect a credit for a benefit which I'd received. I get the point, but that's a minor technical detail in my mind, and I'd not used any of the Prime 'benefit" in the past few days. I was already frustrated with all the unncessary 'customer comfort statements' and the rest of the contrived script, so asked for a supervisor to which I was told "they'd only tell me the same thing."
Fast-forwarding a bit ---- I finally asked for someone stateside and ended up talking with someone in West Virginia...She took 3 seconds to refund my $8.

The worst part in my mind is the gal in West VA told me that buyers always have a 'right' to ask for someone stateside...really???? That makes me feel racist....I just want it right the first time, ya know?

R3awak3n
12-28-2016, 10:43 AM
so, my Prime membership automatically renewed on Dec 20 and charged me $106.92. Times are a little tight right (will work for food, etc) so its not a good time. I received one or two emails about it a few weeks ago, but nothing in the last week and certainly not a day-of notification. Anyway, I was checking my account yesterday and realized this had had gone down. When I cancelled my Prime online, it was only set to refund me $98.xx back. Anyway, the rep was asking me about why I should expect a credit for a benefit which I'd received. I get the point, but that's a minor technical detail in my mind, and I'd not used any of the Prime 'benefit" in the past few days. I was already frustrated with all the unncessary 'customer comfort statements' and the rest of the contrived script, so asked for a supervisor to which I was told "they'd only tell me the same thing."
Fast-forwarding a bit ---- I finally asked for someone stateside and ended up talking with someone in West Virginia...She took 3 seconds to refund my $8.

The worst part in my mind is the gal in West VA told me that buyers always have a 'right' to ask for someone stateside...really???? That makes me feel racist....I just want it right the first time, ya know?

you should not feel "racist". If your problem does not get solved and you think someone in the US can solve the problem then be it.

Also I kinda understand where they were coming from, you used prime for x amount (5 days), even if you did not actually use it. You should get a percentage of it deducted (those 5 days not more). You forgot to cancel it, that is not their problem but yours. They are a company and are in it to make money and $8 is nothing to them but when you have a million people asking for 8 bucks you do the math.
Glad you got your money back though.

I always had great customer service with them, who knows maybe that will change. Same as I always been fine with ebay and paypal and everyone seems to hate them. ymmv I guess

ColonelJLloyd
12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
You came here to complain that a company was adhering to the policy you agreed to? Seriously. Were you expecting everyone to get their pitchforks out and join you? You're upset that the customer service rep wasn't understanding enough? How's about owning it, man? If you think bunches of people asking for something for nothing (which is precisely what you just did; and succeeded) don't have an effect on the rates I/you/we pay then you're wrong. Way to get one over on the man. :rolleyes:

....I just want it right the first time, ya know?

No, I don't.

Very similar experience happened to me just this morning. Some time back a friend gave us a gift certificate to a restaurant we really like. With two kids we have very little free time. I kept reminding my wife that it would expire soon and we should use it. Kept kicking the can. This morning I asked her again. She checked her purse and found it. It expired last week. Am I going to try and use the gift certificate and ask to speak to a manager or whatever it takes to get my way? No, I'm not. It was my/our mistake and no one else is responsible or owes me anything.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Amazon is a notoriously nasty company to both vendors and its own employees.

And this is why I have never ever used them and will never, ever use them. Saving a few pennies is not worth it.

soulspinner
12-28-2016, 11:08 AM

How can they automatically renew wthout your consent? Where I live the automatic deduction for my mortgage could not be renewed without written consent.

Ken Robb
12-28-2016, 11:25 AM
You came here to complain that a company was adhering to the policy you agreed to? Seriously. Were you expecting everyone to get their pitchforks out and join you? You're upset that the customer service rep wasn't understanding enough? How's about owning it, man? If you think bunches of people asking for something for nothing (which is precisely what you just did; and succeeded) don't have an effect on the rates I/you/we pay then you're wrong. Way to get one over on the man. :rolleyes:

No, I don't.

Very similar experience happened to me just this morning. Some time back a friend gave us a gift certificate to a restaurant we really like. With two kids we have very little free time. I kept reminding my wife that it would expire soon and we should use it. Kept kicking the can. This morning I asked her again. She checked her purse and found it. It expired last week. Am I going to try and use the gift certificate and ask to speak to a manager or whatever it takes to get my way? No, I'm not. It was my/our mistake and no one else is responsible or owes me anything.
I have a friend who buys a lot of gift certificates/cards from Craigslist. Several times he has not used them before the expiration dates and the resorts/restaurants have been glad to extend the date so it wouldn't hurt to ask before discarding your certificate.

mg2ride
12-28-2016, 11:34 AM
....I received one or two emails about it a few weeks ago, but nothing in the last week and certainly not a day-of notification....
...I just want it right the first time, ya know.

You want them to get it right he first time after you ignored the problem at least 2 times?

Classic case of the customer NOT always being right.

nmrt
12-28-2016, 11:35 AM
I vaguely remember a section on NPR a few years ago where some states were trying to stop companies from having an expiration date of gift certificates. I wonder if they succeeded. The reasoning was that a gift certificate was essentially cash, and cash should have no expiration dates. I seem to agree with the logic.

No, I don't.

Cicli
12-28-2016, 11:38 AM
I bought a new pressure washer from Amazon once. Got the UPS notice it had been devivered. When I got home that night it was nowhere to be found. Checked with the neighbors and looked around the house/property. Nothing. Contacted amazon via email. Told them the whole story. Next morning they had refunded my money. Ok, whatever. Used that money to by another one on my way home from work that day. Did the job I needed. While putting things away thet evening UPS showes up with my, or their pressure washer. The driver explained he couldnt get it off the truck as he marked it delivered and got the loading guys to take it off the shelf for delivery the next day. Ok, I wanted him to return it then and there, he didnt. I contacted Amazon and they told me that I could return it but would be charged return shipping and a restocking fee as it was a discontenued model they were not going to stock any longer. ?????? I asked that they charge me for it and I would just keep it. They did. I returned the new one to the Home Depot where I bought the one I used. I expplained it to them and they were cool with it. I bought a lownmower instead.
Fastforward 4-5 weeks, I get a notice of delivery from UPS, somthing from Amazon. No biggie, the wife must of bought something. Get home, its another pressure washer. WTAF? Checked my CC, no charge. Contacted Amazon, they stated it was the replacement for the one they lost. I gave it to my neighbor, they are just not worth the hassle of trying to return it. They just dont care.
Now, thanks to the wife, I have this creepy Amazon thing listening to me now.

shovelhd
12-28-2016, 11:43 AM
My kids gave us a CreepyDot for Xmas. Not sure I like the idea.

mg2ride
12-28-2016, 11:45 AM
I had a similar revelation when trying to go thru the return process for an item. I always felt fairly safe buying on Amazon but this time I was faced with a 5.99 fee to either put my item in the Amazon locker or ship it via UPS. The item only cost like $14.

Shifty and sad. This is pushing the pendulum back to retail. What a pain the ass. And why would I pay .. so I can drive 2 miles to the nearest Amazon locker? It'd be really nice and convenient if it were "free" but it shouldn't be 5.99! Dude. If I could mail it back it'd prob only cost a couple bucks (small item).

Had the same experience with an item that was only $5.00. Can't say I completely blame them. It is hard for them to accept to pay shipping 2 ways on a product they aren't going to make more than a couple of bucks on.

likebikes
12-28-2016, 12:17 PM
How can they automatically renew wthout your consent?

it's part of the t&c when you sign up for prime.

@ op and all the other gripers, just file a chargeback with your cc company. you did pay with a cc, right?

R3awak3n
12-28-2016, 12:25 PM
tons of stuff renews without consent. Like said above, I am sure you agreed to it somewhere.

My health insurance auto renewed, my spotify auto renewed, ect...

I am sure amazon has some problems but this is not one of them.

Red Tornado
12-28-2016, 12:28 PM
I remember seeing something on TV (60 min, 20/20 or similar program) within the last year or two about this crappy customer service thing. Granted it was on a network news show and I'm sure they had an agenda based on the "slant" of the reporting. But still, the segment did point out that many companies are OK with, and may even encourage, the bad customer service at the initial level(s) of contact. Many folk get frustrated and never go beyond that first call/e-mail, or if they do, probably not past the second. This can often times end up as money in the company's pocket or a wrong that will never be corrected. One of those things that may not be ethical, but is not illegal either. Corporate greed maybe?
On the flip, there are many businesses who have excellent customer service, so it's not dead but IMHO slowly dying.

berserk87
12-28-2016, 02:38 PM
I wish I could credit the comedian that came up with this bit, but I can't remember his name. It went something like this:

You could win the war on drugs in a few weeks if you made all illicit drugs legal. The caveat is that to get your drugs, your only option was to call Comcast customer service.

Tony T
12-28-2016, 03:21 PM
I've never had a problem with Amazon.
Ordered a cheapo $10 thermostat, it was lost in the mail, did a "chat" with Amazon, got an immediate refund, re-ordered the item, and they said that if the lost item ever arrives, to do whatever I wanted with it (it never arrived).

fwiw, I use Prime only in December, and I cancel as right after I sign up (it will be available for the full month since they charge in advance). Never saw the lure of Prime. Their 'free w/Prime' video's suck, and I can usually wait more than 2 days for delivery.
They also have an "email me before renewal" checkbox so that you get a reminder before renewal.

Fatty
12-28-2016, 03:25 PM
What's the deal with AT&T? Have had most excellent interactions with them.

soulspinner
12-29-2016, 08:38 AM
it's part of the t&c when you sign up for prime.

@ op and all the other gripers, just file a chargeback with your cc company. You did pay with a cc, right?

oh

unterhausen
12-29-2016, 10:25 AM
I have never had to deal with AT&T. I found Verizon to be impossible to deal with, so now they are gone. Comcast also is very difficult to reach. Why would a 24 hour service have customer service only during bankers hours? And they don't always answer during those hours either. Fortunately we haven't had much trouble with their service.

I haven't had to deal with Amazon recently. I don't think Prime has always had auto-renew, I'm sure I had to sign up again last year. I like their movie service. If you take advantage of that and other media services it starts looking like a better deal. Although I suspect they are just trying to kill Netflix

josephr
12-29-2016, 06:34 PM
to likebikes: yes, paid with cc...that's the silver lining is always have that option.
to mg2ride: I'll readily admit that maybe I'm to blame for some part of it, but if you were going through some of the personal crap I'm dealing with at the moment, you might cut me some slack. :beer:

I think maybe I didn't phrase my rant correctly ---- my big issue is that I flip out when someone there's so much unneccessary, superfluous, contrived conversation. What starts out which should be a 3 second phone call turns out to be 15 minutes of 'in order to provide you with the best service possible, our policy is ensure customer satisfaction by addressing your needs...' and 'thank you for being an amazon customer and I want to provide you with the best service possible, so in order for you to continue to receive such great service, I will now read the company's entire policy of enhanced privacy protection controls."

that and having to ask for 3 supervisors before you can actually talk to a real person who can actually do anything....

EPIC! Stratton
12-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Gotta say I'm surprised. I've always had good experiences with Amazon customer support. I typically use the chat as I find it's easier. Had a few items my wife received as a secret santa gift she wanted to return. One item was listed as non-returnable and after return postage it would have only netted her around $5 credit.

A quick chat session later and they just credited her for the non-returnable item (she will pass these along to a friend) and comp'd the postage.

I had a similar experience when I received some food as a gift that I absolutely wouldn't eat (coconut anything is vile). Amazon wouldn't take it as a return (as it's a food item), but they comp'd me anyways and told me to pass it along. Was VERY surprised by this and pretty happy overall with the experience.

While I'm big on supporting local shops, its certainly convenient when you'd shopping for friends/family in other states. Plus the video/music perks are nice.

vqdriver
12-29-2016, 07:13 PM
my big issue is that I flip out when someone there's so much unneccessary, superfluous, contrived conversation. What starts out which should be a 3 second phone call turns out to be 15 minutes of 'in order to provide you with the best service possible, our policy is ensure customer satisfaction by addressing your needs...' and 'thank you for being an amazon customer and I want to provide you with the best service possible, so in order for you to continue to receive such great service, I will now read the company's entire policy of enhanced privacy protection controls."

i'm right there with you on that one. altho to be fair, it costs them time (hence, money) to draw that crap out, so i blame the one idiot who threatened to sue them or someone at some point to make everyone have to CTA

r_mutt
12-29-2016, 08:20 PM
I received one or two emails about it a few weeks ago, but nothing in the last week and certainly not a day-of notification.

i don't wanna be stickler for playing by strict rules, but how much more warning do you need to have?

R3awak3n
12-29-2016, 09:01 PM
what i have taken from this thread...

that every company is a pain the ass to deal with and that while some people have had bad experiences, others have had great experiences.

apart from comcast..... that said, time warner might be worst so ymmv

EPIC! Stratton
12-31-2016, 10:13 AM
what i have taken from this thread...

that every company is a pain the ass to deal with and that while some people have had bad experiences, others have had great experiences.

apart from comcast..... that said, time warner might be worst so ymmv

Hah. Agreed re comcast.