PDA

View Full Version : Old Gipiemme brake bridge question

Gsinill
12-27-2016, 12:19 PM
So I have this old Gipiemme brake bridge that I would like to use on a frame I am building.
The standard recessed nut from a Campagnolo brake does not work (diameter too small) and the original nut that came with the bridge bottoms out before it tightens.
I assume older brakes came with shorter bolts or am I missing something?
https://s29.postimg.org/sq680hlyf/gipiemme_brake_bridge.png

Tandem Rider
12-27-2016, 12:42 PM
You are missing something. It's the "star" washer between the bridge and the centerbolt of the caliper. They are pretty thick, might have to double them up, used to have to do that sometimes.

Gsinill
12-27-2016, 01:39 PM
You are missing something. It's the "star" washer between the bridge and the centerbolt of the caliper. They are pretty thick, might have to double them up, used to have to do that sometimes.

Thanks, you are correct.
I forgot to mention that the nut bottoms out with one washer.
After a closer look, it appears the original nut has some file marks at the bottom, maybe it was shortened at some point which would explain the issue.
If I add a second washer, I have about 1.5 mm (thickness of the washer) for the hex key to engage.
Not sure that's enough to tighten it and the thought of 3 washers is not really appealing.
Might just have to fabricate some spacer that goes inside the bridge.

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers,
GS

8aaron8
12-27-2016, 01:43 PM
I have used a few older brake bridges in the past and had to cut down the brake nut for them to work, just my $0.02.

Tandem Rider
12-27-2016, 03:24 PM
I have used a few older brake bridges in the past and had to cut down the brake nut for them to work, just my $0.02.

Some of the Gipiemme bridges used an internal nut that is completely inside the bridge, rather than having a "shoulder" that pushes against the outside of the bridge. They were neat, but finicky, nearly always requiring an additional "star" washer and still sometimes wouldn't work if the pivot bolt wasn't threaded down far enough.

Tandem Rider
12-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks, you are correct.
I forgot to mention that the nut bottoms out with one washer.
After a closer look, it appears the original nut has some file marks at the bottom, maybe it was shortened at some point which would explain the issue.
If I add a second washer, I have about 1.5 mm (thickness of the washer) for the hex key to engage.
Not sure that's enough to tighten it and the thought of 3 washers is not really appealing.
Might just have to fabricate some spacer that goes inside the bridge.

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers,
GS

Maybe a couple of mm's of tubing with an id that clears the pivot bolt. Easy to cut short pieces with a tubing cutter. Brass or copper would work fine and easy to source in small pieces.