PDA

View Full Version : Shipping handlebars without high cost

bobswire
12-27-2016, 10:18 AM
I don't usually sell handlebars do to the high cost because of the size of the box yet I see some of you sell handlebars and your shipping cost is much lower than it is for me. Is there some trick in keeping shipping fees down on handlebars I'm missing?

Cicli
12-27-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't usually sell handlebars do to the high cost because of the size of the box yet I see some of you sell handlebars and your shipping cost is much lower than it is for me. Is there some trick in keeping shipping fees down on handlebars I'm missing?

I want to know. I have trued USPS and bikeflights. USPS is cheaper.

LouDeeter
12-27-2016, 11:41 AM
I think the trade off is that you want to protect them, but keep the package as light and small as possible. If you put them in a plastic bag, you sacrifice protection, but likely get the best price. If you put them in a box, you incur the size penalty, if any. Personally, I cut a box down to just fit them. The weight is low. It is the measured size that gets you. And, ship Standard Mail, not priority.

ColonelJLloyd
12-27-2016, 11:48 AM
And, ship Standard Mail, not priority.

Is this an option via PayPal when the buyer pays by a means where fees are incurred? It's not an option via USPS' site.

huck*this
12-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Carbon bars USPS 1st class. Pad with peanuts and wrap bars in cardboard.

bobswire
12-27-2016, 12:07 PM
I think the trade off is that you want to protect them, but keep the package as light and small as possible. If you put them in a plastic bag, you sacrifice protection, but likely get the best price. If you put them in a box, you incur the size penalty, if any. Personally, I cut a box down to just fit them. The weight is low. It is the measured size that gets you. And, ship Standard Mail, not priority.

Standard/first class mail only goes up to 14oz. BTW I have received handlebars in one of those grayish plastic bags, the bars were wrapped in bubble wrap but I've never seen shose bags offered at the post office or online.

shovelhd
12-27-2016, 06:40 PM
I'd pack them the way I'd expect to receive them.

cadence90
12-27-2016, 07:22 PM
I'd pack them the way I'd expect to receive them.
Exactly.

Shipping handlebars in a plastic bag sounds so "ProBikeKit"....:rolleyes:

zmudshark
12-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Is this an option via PayPal when the buyer pays by a means where fees are incurred? It's not an option via USPS' site.
It is available through Paypal, even without a Paypal transaction.

Shoeman
12-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Standard/first class mail only goes up to 14oz.

It actually will go to 15.9 oz. if you purchase thru an online source like PayPal, Ebay etc.

ColonelJLloyd
12-27-2016, 09:36 PM
It is available through Paypal, even without a Paypal transaction.

Thank you.

It actually will go to 15.9 oz. if you purchase thru an online source like PayPal, Ebay etc.

Did not know that. Thanks!

fignon's barber
12-28-2016, 05:44 AM

Yes, this. Then it's easy to pack a bar well for under a pound.
Another tip is to not let the post office weigh your package and tell you what it costs. A few weeks ago, I sold something and weighed the package at 15 ounces (on home scale). I was shipping another item overseas and needed to go to the usps counter. The guy weighs my 15oz package and it suddenly balloons to 19oz, and he wants to charge me $19 instead of the $4 I had printed on the label. I said "no, thanks. I'll take it home and repackage it". As I was walking out of the post office, I saw the package collecting bin that is next to the mail slots,and said "screw it". I threw the $4 labeled package in. The customer had it 3 days later.

Cicli
12-28-2016, 05:52 AM
Yes, this. Then it's easy to pack a bar well for under a pound.
Another tip is to not let the post office weigh your package and tell you what it costs. A few weeks ago, I sold something and weighed the package at 15 ounces (on home scale). I was shipping another item overseas and needed to go to the usps counter. The guy weighs my 15oz package and it suddenly balloons to 19oz, and he wants to charge me $19 instead of the $4 I had printed on the label. I said "no, thanks. I'll take it home and repackage it". As I was walking out of the post office, I saw the package collecting bin that is next to the mail slots,and said "screw it". I threw the $4 labeled package in. The customer had it 3 days later.

We have an automated kiosk at our PO. It will always let you do things the people (slugs) behind the counter wont. I had a PO counter lady refues a package because I wrote the return address to close to the top of the box and the postage had to be above the address. Same thing, I returned and used the kiosk, bought postage and dropped it in the shute. It got delivered.
They (the employees) are a pain in the ass.