PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Year in Review + 2017 Look-Ahead

AngryScientist
12-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Here we are, last week of 2016 already. It was a fast year for me; a good year though.

Many highlights for me this year, both on and off the bike.

Thoughts:

-business travel should be thought of not as a chore, but an opportunity to explore new places, and local flavor. Rental bikes usually suck, but are the least hassle and a guaranteed way to get out and explore.

-As usual, i wound up buying a bunch of cycling gear and a bike or two over the year. Many awesome memories and experiences this year, and none of them had anything to do with the gear. Good scenery, good fitness (health) and good company are all that matters. A Trek on the road beats a Pegoretti in the garage anyday.

-utility cycling is cool. want to do more of this. the days that my work schedule worked to pick kids up and run errands with an old mtb and trailer do wonders for the soul.

-this country has a huge asset in it's national parks, and preserved nature areas of all kinds. Big parks and small - there is SO much to explore, it could take several lifetimes. Better get busy!

-a microcamper is almost always an awesome place to wake up in, no matter where it's parked.

-i miss the ocean. it used to be such a huge part of my life and i've drifted away (haha). More water sports, surfing, boating and fishing this year.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rr7th7WSxlA/WBdKPGiFDHI/AAAAAAAACo0/AxxSbhZvHMA8UqJxUV7X-EFXisHEsMiuwCLcB/s1140/IMG_1062.JPG

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1MkqZtKcGxk/V-V-UVZ_XmI/AAAAAAAACks/mvZKBMTXRQMOzvyUvlm_MDZ94TW6sK58QCLcB/s1040/IMG_0946.JPG

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hk3Z_xVvxX0/V-V-eEMK1qI/AAAAAAAAClk/R3tbIKzPVRs9Ak_MUeI3X_aFT9UTw9DkACLcB/s1140/P1080763.JPG

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LhAyQrUQQd8/V-V-j8px1OI/AAAAAAAACmE/ipKwKaphjRMj_up_MUZkPPiXHZ3d4dI2QCLcB/s1140/P1170816.JPG

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-phXlDLP7VEY/V7uMw_7_-mI/AAAAAAAACiY/yEn2b6G6FIsOYykvNCqEcSv32i92yXkIQCLcB/s1140/IMG_5764%2B%25281%2529.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Lxi_dG_7mgY/V1oS_hT_ZrI/AAAAAAAACdk/nD1I3tbru-oITOH8BgiLSaJjWndDjj0kACLcB/s1140/P1080650.JPG

AngryScientist
12-27-2016, 06:49 AM
what have you guys got??

Cicli
12-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Delicate Arch is absolutely awesome first thing in the morning. We visit Moab every year.

AngryScientist
12-27-2016, 06:53 AM
Delicate Arch is absolutely awesome first thing in the morning. We visit Moab every year.

I can see why Cicli, there is no shortage of awesomness out that way. Plan to return with my family once they are all old enough to enjoy it a little more.

Cicli
12-27-2016, 07:08 AM
I can see why Cicli, there is no shortage of awesomness out that way. Plan to return with my family once they are all old enough to enjoy it a little more.

Yeah, I carried a kid up to delicate and back one year in July. Thank gawd they can walk now.

fuzzalow
12-27-2016, 08:07 AM
Highlights for 2016 both about cycling and otherwise. We had a good year. We have much to be thankful for. We try to live in the fullest of days:

Bought a new bike which is not noteworthy other than it was my first non-custom bike in close to a decade. I have EuroPro numbers I have to hit in fitting into a bike and I had been using custom builders to make it easy to hit those numbers. In returning to a stock frame size it required enough precision to size right to the limits possible in stock geometry to fit, otherwise I'd have shot myself in the foot and made an expensive mistake.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FZUOQthDf-E/V-mtHcf7tdI/AAAAAAAABec/OGuzdT33X0kWXo3BfQgyYD_caouAUxLTgCHM/s1024-no/DSC01086.JPG

A good year business-wise. Upcoming bonus season should be OK but you never know until the money hits the account.

Bought an apartment. A milestone point in a process that started years ago. Looking forward to living normal again living in our own home. The lack of control and stability in living as a renter was very unsettling to me and did a number on my head.
Picture shot from my living room of the lead group in the 2016 NYC Marathon during that point as they were racing uptown through the UES.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OQnEN7G3YL0/WB9cY583e6I/AAAAAAAABfc/h5zGCruMlDwWdXy3-FnJ2kB8h5189lamwCHM/s1024-no/nyc-marathon2016.jpg

oldpotatoe
12-27-2016, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=fuzzalow;2098415]Highlights for 2016 both about cycling and otherwise. We had a good year. We have much to be thankful for. We try to live in the fullest of days:

[LIST]
Bought a new bike which is not noteworthy other than it was my first non-custom bike in close to a decade. I have EuroPro numbers I have to hit in fitting into a bike and I had been using custom builders to make it easy to hit those numbers. In returning to a stock frame size it required enough precision to size right to the limits possible in stock geometry to fit, otherwise I'd have shot myself in the foot and made an expensive mistake.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FZUOQthDf-E/V-mtHcf7tdI/AAAAAAAABec/OGuzdT33X0kWXo3BfQgyYD_caouAUxLTgCHM/s1024-no/DSC01086.JPG

SR EPS baby!!!..Altho I think your chain 'may' be one link too short..:):eek:

And I'd stuff the wire at the rear der into the frame a bit.

SWEET wheels!!

fuzzalow
12-27-2016, 11:26 AM
SR EPS baby!!!..Altho I think your chain 'may' be one link too short..:):eek:

And I'd stuff the wire at the rear der into the frame a bit.

Thanks for the Campagnolo & EPS tips. Yes, I know the chain is short a link or two - it was a preused chain off a Peg Marcelo I had sold. I didn't want to cut down a new Record chain just yet so in my frugality I reused what I had. The F8 chain stays are longer from the elongated aero profile shape of the seattube versus the round tube on a Marcelo.

SWEET wheels!!

HaHa! I got the third degree about those wheels from somebody here - he thought them unworthy to an F8. Whatever. But I built those wheels myself which I'd guess is something he couldn't say the same of about his F8.

soulspinner
12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
I never got the " those wheels are not befitting that bike". If you kick peoples arse uphill, downhill and on a flat with them whats wrong with them. Also, save the race wheels for race day. They usually cost more........YMMV

vqdriver
12-27-2016, 12:20 PM
only a few more days until 2017. dunno what 2017 has in store but 2016 was not a good year.

AngryScientist
12-27-2016, 12:27 PM
only a few more days until 2017. dunno what 2017 has in store but 2016 was not a good year.

i merged you vq.

what are you going to do to make 2017 better? what's the proactive outlook??

soulspinner
12-27-2016, 12:27 PM
dupe

Hilltopperny
12-27-2016, 01:19 PM
I have to say that 2016 was quite an eventful year. I bought a house, got married, did my first organized ride (d2r2 100k), did my first group rides since my accident and met some great folks from this very forum.

All in all one of the best years of my life and looking forward to 2017. I am truly blessed and extremely fortunate for my loving wife and wonderful daughter. Planning on building off of the momentum from 2016 to continue moving in a positive direction:beer:

fuzzalow
12-27-2016, 01:37 PM
I never got the " those wheels are not befitting that bike". If you kick peoples arse uphill, downhill and on a flat with them whats wrong with them.

HaHa! soulspinner I can assure I am capable of none of the above.

Here's to a great 2017 for all.

rnhood
12-27-2016, 01:38 PM
This has been an outstanding year in my opinion. But hey, I like them all.

Nice pictures AS.

mbrtool
12-27-2016, 05:24 PM
2016... business wise (own a small tool and die shop) lots of up and down, strong dollar hurts us, but still ok. Bike riding... two very nice organized rides in Door County WI; hit about 7400 miles this year; added one more day and subtracted that time bike riding from hours at work. For sure D2R2 was the highlight. New England is so beautiful!
2017... turn 70, life is going freaking fast! Luckily family, wife, kids, grandkids are doing very well. Already signed up for D2R2; I learned so much last year (bought water bottles and cages, swapped out 12/28 to 11/36 and will stop and read the stinking itinerary after every turn). Hope to see a lot of you guys there.

Ray

soulspinner
12-27-2016, 06:09 PM
2016... business wise (own a small tool and die shop) lots of up and down, strong dollar hurts us, but still ok. Bike riding... two very nice organized rides in Door County WI; hit about 7400 miles this year; added one more day and subtracted that time bike riding from hours at work. For sure D2R2 was the highlight. New England is so beautiful!
2017... turn 70, life is going freaking fast! Luckily family, wife, kids, grandkids are doing very well. Already signed up for D2R2; I learned so much last year (bought water bottles and cages, swapped out 12/28 to 11/36 and will stop and read the stinking itinerary after every turn). Hope to see a lot of you guys there.

Ray

70? Over 7000 miles? You are my hero.

mbrtool
12-27-2016, 06:30 PM
No, no big deal, just a guy who needs to play a certain amount of time to balance life.

Ray