PDA

View Full Version : time atac pedal release angle?

AngryScientist
12-26-2016, 05:36 PM
based on the numerous recommendations in some other thread, i thought i would try a set of time atac's on my newly converted 26'er drop bar bike.

all i use are SPD-SL on other bikes, and must say, even with the 13 degree cleats installed, i think the release angle is pretty extreme. it seems quite unnatural for me to need to twist my heel out so much to get out.

do those of you who like the atac's just get used to the big swing to get out, or should i just get a set of spd's and be done with it?

DfCas
12-26-2016, 05:46 PM
As the cleats wear the angle may be reduced some. I have also heard of people filing the cleats to reduce the release angle. You can just look at them to see where to remove material. I use them in stock configuration.

Can you switch them from l to r to change this? I seem to have a memory of that.

AngryScientist
12-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Can you switch them from l to r to change this? I seem to have a memory of that.

yes, i already have them on the shallower release angle.

chris7ed
12-26-2016, 06:05 PM
They get easier with use. My first few rides on a mountain bike were challenging. I used them a couple years and no issues. Bought a new pair and same problem getting out.

dustyrider
12-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Are they brand new cleats and pedals? They'll need some miles to operate as intended in my experience. I know folks file the cleat down to change the angle a bit. I find the float to be desirable and don't notice the unclipping motion as being extreme. Once they're broken in and you're used to them, it is a very secure system for all the float it allows. But folks love they're spds...which makes the used atac market strong!

fignon's barber
12-27-2016, 06:35 AM
yes, i already have them on the shallower release angle.

yes, I know what you mean. I have atacs on my cross bike. Even on the shallower release, I really have to think about it on a dismount.

old fat man
12-27-2016, 07:24 AM
yes, I know what you mean. I have atacs on my cross bike. Even on the shallower release, I really have to think about it on a dismount.

IMHO time's mtb pedals stopped being desirable when they switched to the octagonal shaped retention bars. The old fully round ones or the less expensive metal bodied ones that still have round bars are the only ones worth using. I was on time mtb pedals for 15+ years, but switched to shimano 3 years ago. I don't miss the newer generation times