PDA

View Full Version : 2016 biking revelations

weisan
12-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Those "aha" moments you experienced in 2016.

I have several but just to name one and this occurred fairly recent. Converting my 26' long haul trucker to 650b, change out the flat bar to a drop bar, and most importantly strapping a set of new rubber, those big fat delicious looking Compass SwitchBack hills 650b X 48mm completely transformed the ride. I haven't had so much fun on a bike in quite a while, the floating in the air feeling, the smooth buttery keep-on-rollin' momentum, the carefree ride anywhere I want kinda invincibility... Simply amazing!!!

What you got?

R3awak3n
12-26-2016, 12:21 PM
I know how you feel on the switchbacks, I got some right when they got released (I was on babyshoe pass before). They are amazing indeed.

For me this year

Mud Flaps

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r522/r3awak3n/fenders.jpg

fenders are great and all but mudflaps are where its at. Lets say fenders help to about 60%, mudflaps will help you 90%.

Tubeless

I have had no flats and its just awesome. Can run low pressures, no more spending money on tubes and did I mention, no flats?

spoonrobot
12-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Good lookin' bikes in this thread so far.

For me it was 700x40c tires and monster cross. I was able to set up a bike that was equally fun on the road and singletrack. Now, it's not nearly as fast on the latter but it's an amazing rush.

Cicli
12-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Big rubber for me too. Running 44's and loving every minute of it.
Being slow on the road and ok with it is another thing. Comfort over looks anyday.

shovelhd
12-26-2016, 12:43 PM
I am a year older and a bit slower still. I have to bury myself to pull hard in the A group but I can still put a hurt on people. The end is near, though.

Zwift has really upped their game with the racing module. Zwift racing is friggN hard.

R3awak3n
12-26-2016, 12:46 PM
I am a year older and a bit slower still. I have to bury myself to pull hard in the A group but I can still put a hurt on people. The end is near, though.

Zwift has really upped their game with the racing module. Zwift racing is friggN hard.

oh yeah forgot Zwift. game changer for me, I can now stay 2 hours on the trainer no problem

kppolich
12-26-2016, 12:57 PM
1x CX :banana:

eddief
12-26-2016, 01:49 PM
fine cycling, but the roads are in all sorts of condition from really good to downright atrocious. The Roubaix couldn't handle tires bigger than 25 mm, so up on the chopping block. Bigger tires to 32 on my travel bike and to 28 on my Carver this year. No more skinnies for me.

All these years of discussions about compliance due to frame materials (which I believe to be true) but all along it was tires that do make the biggest difference.

pjmsj21
12-26-2016, 02:56 PM
For me 2016 marked the year that I stopped looking for the ultimate or optimal road tire and have standardized on tubulars and more specifically the Veloflex Arenberg. I ride them on my Concours with Neutrons and my wife rides them on a set of carbon wheels and we both love them. Yes tubulars are a bit more of a hassle but really not that much more work for a superior ride and handling.

vitaly66
12-26-2016, 03:11 PM
The coffeeneuring challenge this fall was a revelation. I never imagined so much pleasure as sipping steaming hot coffee during a cold day's ride.

572cv
12-26-2016, 05:14 PM
For me, the emerging revelation is that a bike made for a specific person (in this case, me :) ) really does make a significant difference. I have had a good fit, and that made a huge difference. But the subtle, delicate extension of that is the bike made for one's person, and one's riding style. Working with a good builder to get there is a pleasure in itself, but the outcome is yet another. I know it will greatly enhance 2017 riding and beyond.

So, if you are thinking about doing this, and have counted your pennies in that regard, I have to recommend it. Call the builder whose bikes you have been dreaming about, and get started. I'm getting to be an ancient cyclist, but then, I'm really glad to be ancient AND still a cyclist. I don't know why I put it off for so long.

54ny77
12-26-2016, 07:33 PM
my '16 cycling (road riding) revelation is that i now view it primarily as a means of fitness and it is less enjoyable than it ever was. the %^$#! happening on the road this year (the past few years, really) has turned that tide for me. i did about 5 hours the other sunday in south orange county (a long reverse como street loop for those that know the area) and it was just nonstop near miss s%#!! all day long.

i'm thankful for those precious moments of riding in peace near my home area (northeast part of the u.s.). but in '16, i did a lot of riding in so cal/orange county while out on biz, and it just plain sucked unless i was on the road by 5 and home by 7 on any given day, including weekends.

2017 goal is to do mountain biking. haven't the slightest idea where to do that in my neck of the woods but i'll have to work on that one. :beer:

Luwabra
12-26-2016, 08:48 PM
This may sound stupid but-

I was always wanting the lightest most aero carbon fiber everything for my racing mentality.. kid #3 comes along.... a different kind of race ensued. Structured Training dissipated, super early longer rides were happening (gravel) I bought a steel frame, built it up- aaaand now I'm screwed. Still have carbon race ready madone stripped and hanging from the rafters but sold everything else to accommodate an 853 poprad, zona nature boy, and most recently zona mr pink. Looking forward to popping the custom cherry 2017?? We'll see! Slippery slope

ofcounsel
12-26-2016, 11:19 PM
My "aha" moment this year was a simple tire switch. I switched out my Schwalbe Nobby Nic for a Schwalbe Magic Mary on the front end of my Stumpjumper FSR Evo 29. Wow. Gobs of traction! I felt like a friggin rock star descending the Luge trail!

ofcounsel
12-26-2016, 11:26 PM
my '16 cycling (road riding) revelation is that i now view it primarily as a means of fitness and it is less enjoyable than it ever was. the %^$#! happening on the road this year (the past few years, really) has turned that tide for me. i did about 5 hours the other sunday in south orange county (a long reverse como street loop for those that know the area) and it was just nonstop near miss s%#!! all day long.

i'm thankful for those precious moments of riding in peace near my home area (northeast part of the u.s.). but in '16, i did a lot of riding in so cal/orange county while out on biz, and it just plain sucked unless i was on the road by 5 and home by 7 on any given day, including weekends.

2017 goal is to do mountain biking. haven't the slightest idea where to do that in my neck of the woods but i'll have to work on that one. :beer:

When in O.C. next time try riding ride MTB! No traffic to mess around with. Hit me up sometime if you need some trail suggestions!

soulspinner
12-27-2016, 04:36 AM
Learned its easier to ride than walk with no cartilage in yer hip...:bike:

BdaGhisallo
12-27-2016, 04:37 AM
For me 2016 marked the year that I stopped looking for the ultimate or optimal road tire and have standardized on tubulars and more specifically the Veloflex Arenberg. I ride them on my Concours with Neutrons and my wife rides them on a set of carbon wheels and we both love them. Yes tubulars are a bit more of a hassle but really not that much more work for a superior ride and handling.

I can second this. Arenbergs are my forever tire.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2016, 05:35 AM

The more things change, the more they stay the same..

For me, no revelations in 2016, just want to 'ride lots'.

fuzzalow
12-27-2016, 07:39 AM
At this point for me, there are not that many "Aha!" revelations in cycling, with only the briefest of moments that might amount to a dull thud. ;) HaHa but in my own head I think I've got it all figured out!

my '16 cycling (road riding) revelation is that i now view it primarily as a means of fitness and it is less enjoyable than it ever was.

Same for me however excluding the last part of your remark; I'll try not to succumb to the harsh reality by saying it is worse, even if it might be, but by saying it is different.

Part of the adjustment involved no longer gauging my riding program & form to be speed based as relative to other riders: in the past I was only good if I could put the hurt into another rider. Or as was increasingly the case, them putting the hurt on me. I got to the point where I simply stopped caring. Not because I gave up trying to get better but because the riding for speed felt less important than the riding for the riding. I really and truly don't care if someone is faster than me, which seems to irk some riders to no end as they seem to think every rider they pass automatically gives chase like a dog chasing a fire truck - they always turn around to look and slackjaw at their ciphered provocation.

Oh, I did have one revelation for cycling that was useful even if I don't do much structured work on the bike anymore. A great way to perform hill repeats & climbing intervals is to use the 59th Street Bridge. It may not be Ventoux but looking down from the top at midspan is still a long way down to the East River.

Pastashop
12-27-2016, 09:10 AM
This may sound stupid but-

I was always wanting the lightest most aero carbon fiber everything for my racing mentality.. kid #3 comes along.... a different kind of race ensued. Structured Training dissipated, super early longer rides were happening (gravel) I bought a steel frame, built it up- aaaand now I'm screwed. Still have carbon race ready madone stripped and hanging from the rafters but sold everything else to accommodate an 853 poprad, zona nature boy, and most recently zona mr pink. Looking forward to popping the custom cherry 2017?? We'll see! Slippery slope

More Kids = less time to ride = more impulse buys on eBay at pre-dawn = less riding.

Ask me how I know...

ColonelJLloyd
12-27-2016, 09:29 AM
I discovered low (<40mm) mechanical trail, disc brakes, thru axles, modern hammocks and bikepacking in 2016. I ordered a custom that reflects those things as well as stuff of which I was already aware or a fan. 2016 was a really, really rough year and I'm looking forward to doing a lot of riding as part of a better 2017.

NHAero
12-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Anderson - 28 to 37 mm tires; Avid BB7 Road to TRP Hylex hydros
Nagasawa road trainer - from clipless to track pedals and straps
and continuing amazement at the fun to be had with a FS 29er (thank you especially to ofcounsel!)

bocobiking
12-27-2016, 10:28 AM
In 2016 I discovered that I really am an old fart who likes the past. After years of chasing after bicycling's latest trends, I rediscovered the joys of my original bicycles of the 70s and 80s: reynolds 531, downtube friction shifting, 27" wheels, quill stems, etc. Bought 3 old bikes on eBay, fixed them up, and am riding them more than my new ones.

Now I don't even enjoy going in to bike stores and looking at their latest carbon fiber carbon copy bikes.

Mzilliox
12-27-2016, 10:44 AM
My revelation for 2016 was figuring out the type of rider i am. I think deep down im an adventure rider. I tried competition fly fishing but found it took away some of the things i enjoy most about fly fishing, namely being able to stop and smell the flowers when they are around. As much as i like riding fast, i also like to stop and take pictures. I'm not sure im a competition type, and thats fine.

I want to use 2017 to discover longer mixed surface rides, because 2016 showed me that is at the heart of my cycling desires.

also, 2016 has been the year of discovering my fit on the bike, and that has been very important for longer rides.

velotel
12-27-2016, 10:58 AM
How much I enjoy riding dirt with fatter tires and a frame designed and built exactly the way I needed. Been riding dirt and rock roads for years and was fully convinced that I didn't need tires fatter than 28 and definitely didn't need a fat-tired road bike. I was already doing all that cool stuff and had been for awhile.

Then my son decided that I did in fact need a fat-tired road frame, talked to Kent Eriksen who'd been telling me for awhile I needed one, et voilà I ended up with a custom, ti, fat-tired road bike, what I call a Stoner Bike. Totally rejuvenated my riding. To the point that sometimes I think I can't get enough riding, despite my muscles and body telling me the contrary. I am having so much fun with this bike that I keep thinking that for sure the authorities are going to make what I'm doing illegal!

Kind of like going back to my mountain biking years only I'm on a road bike and flat flying (all things relative of course) on the road AND jamming on the dirt and rock roads. Basically having my cake and slamming all of it in my mouth! And riding tubeless too! Never thought I'd do that on a road bike. Fat (well, not that fat, only 700x37 WTB Riddlers), soft tires and the smooth ride, asphalt or dirt. Perfect.

I love the bike so much that I'm even taking it when I know the ride's going to be nothing but asphalt. Keep thinking I'll grab the old Eriksen just to see how much faster it is with the lighter tires but instead, every single time I grab the Stoner Bike! And find myself looking for interesting dirt roads.

Definitely not a mountain bike, not even close to those amazing machines, just a road bike that goes incredible places and makes me feel like a kid skipping school. Hard to beat that!

Oh yea, second revelation, the insanely fun and gorgeous dirt road up onto the Plateau d'Emparis. Can't hardly wait until next summer to do it again only this time do the single tracks to la Grave. Also the dirt roads on the mountains around Bardonecchia, Italy, also insanely good. On the list of massive impatience for the next summer.

DrSpoke
12-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Gravel baby!

jghall
12-27-2016, 11:36 AM
my '16 cycling (road riding) revelation is that i now view it primarily as a means of fitness and it is less enjoyable than it ever was. the %^$#! happening on the road this year.

I'll somewhat echo this. I've never been one to live in fear per say, but half the time I'm out "white knuckling it". Enough so that I'm more of a cruiser now.

With all the fat tire talk, I may need to look into it for 2017. Be safe out there.

Duende
12-27-2016, 01:29 PM
Gravel baby!

Ditto! I'm still loving my morning road bike rides, but weekend off-the-beaten- path adventure getaways are sure good for the soul! Realizing however that with gravel riding, I kinda prefer to be out with friends, as it can get a bit cuckoo. I'll get over it I'm sure with time.

Water rowing is a great cross-fit partner for cycling! Works the core and inner thigh muscles that sometimes get offset by only cycling. Good for knee tracking issues... a

Back to a 100mm stem! Finally found a fitter who put me back to the stem size I started with in the 80's. Seems the latest trends for longer stem lengths just didn't suit this soon to be 50 year old.

Tubeless tires... No expert by anymeans.. but this newbie sure enjoys how they ride!

livingminimal
12-27-2016, 01:35 PM
i did about 5 hours the other sunday in south orange county (a long reverse como street loop for those that know the area) and it was just nonstop near miss s%#!! all day long.

Might have been a bad day? I do como st. all the time. Never have THAT many issues. Or really any, frankly.

but in '16, i did a lot of riding in so cal/orange county while out on biz, and it just plain sucked unless i was on the road by 5 and home by 7 on any given day, including weekends.

Weekdays, yes. Weekends I am out much later than 7 and it's fine. I think part of it is knowing the territory and your routes too.

livingminimal
12-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Same revelation as every year:

every bike ride to me is as thrilling and fun as the first one I ever did.

54ny77
12-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Glad you've gone without incident and have had good bike blessings. Be safe out there!

I just have a different perspective now as a visitor (having grown up there riding & racing back in the early Reagan era). Let's just say I feel safer riding through Manhattan coming or going to rides in NJ, whereas someone unfamiliar with the ebb & flow of riding in the big city might think that's positively insane. ;)

Might have been a bad day? I do como st. all the time. Never have THAT many issues. Or really any, frankly.

Weekdays, yes. Weekends I am out much later than 7 and it's fine. I think part of it is knowing the territory and your routes too.

onsight512
12-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Prior to this year, most of my riding had been commuting. Lots this year was the same, but I started going riding for fun. And it was fun. Lots.

Also found that I enjoy climbing. And now I can flex my thighs.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5717/30189711582_5ae2fd281b_b.jpg

93KgBike
12-27-2016, 10:20 PM
More Kids = less time to ride = more impulse buys on eBay at pre-dawn = less riding.

Ask me how I know...

Chlidren change biking habits for the better IMHO. I saw the writing on the wall when my first was born; I need to ride WITH them because... I ❤️ BIKES😅👍👍😅😅. Bought a Bullitt and cannot say enough about how wonderful it is. I have about 30k Km of riding with my first two kids in it. LOVE riding UP hills on it with them. LOVE IT.

Now we have three kids, and while the last becomes old enough to get in the bakfiets, my first is dropping the mtb hammer like Tinker himself. And as for me? Well my revelation has been power training on a Tacx Neo in Sufferlandria and Watopia. Why? Because I'll be in my sixties when they are looking at grad-school and I MUST BE able to ride with them, for real.

For me, kids = more biking; the best rides of my long cycling life actually. And I have never looked forward to a future of cycling with more excitement than I do right now, and I'm a true crazy-ass-certifiable-bicycle-nut who has never felt a dimming in my love for cycling in all of it forms.

Pastashop
12-28-2016, 12:54 AM
Chlidren change biking habits for the better IMHO. I saw the writing on the wall when my first was born; I need to ride WITH them because... I ❤️ BIKES[emoji28][emoji106][emoji106][emoji28][emoji28]. Bought a Bullitt and cannot say enough about how wonderful it is. I have about 30k Km of riding with my first two kids in it. LOVE riding UP hills on it with them. LOVE IT.

Now we have three kids, and while the last becomes old enough to get in the bakfiets, my first is dropping the mtb hammer like Tinker himself. And as for me? Well my revelation has been power training on a Tacx Neo in Sufferlandria and Watopia. Why? Because I'll be in my sixties when they are looking at grad-school and I MUST BE able to ride with them, for real.

For me, kids = more biking; the best rides of my long cycling life actually. And I have never looked forward to a future of cycling with more excitement than I do right now, and I'm a true crazy-ass-certifiable-bicycle-nut who has never felt a dimming in my love for cycling in all of it forms.

That's a great perspective. Gonna try that in 2017!

oldpotatoe
12-28-2016, 05:19 AM
In 2016 I discovered that I really am an old fart who likes the past. After years of chasing after bicycling's latest trends, I rediscovered the joys of my original bicycles of the 70s and 80s: reynolds 531, downtube friction shifting, 27" wheels, quill stems, etc. Bought 3 old bikes on eBay, fixed them up, and am riding them more than my new ones.

Now I don't even enjoy going in to bike stores and looking at their latest carbon fiber carbon copy bikes.

Then trundle on down to Vecchio's and look at the 50th anniversary Campag/ Merckx or vintage Bianchi on the walls..talk to joe, jim or Carl..they speak 'old'..good for you, and once again, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Pick up a copy of Rouleur...have a beer.

OBTW-no plastic bikes there except those getting fixed. :D

Bob Ross
12-28-2016, 05:26 AM
Nagasawa road trainer - from clipless to track pedals and straps

I'm curious about what sort of "revelation" that was: Funner? Easier in/out? More power?

I switched the other way, from toeclips&straps to clipless, ~10.5 years ago and that was a revelation to me at the time...because it had taken me nearly an entire decade (!) to become completely comfortable getting into toeclips, whereas it only took me one week to become completely comfortable getting into clipless pedals.

Bob Ross
12-28-2016, 05:27 AM
But I got nothin' for 2016 revelations.

soulspinner
12-28-2016, 05:32 AM
Prior to this year, most of my riding had been commuting. Lots this year was the same, but I started going riding for fun. And it was fun. Lots.

Also found that I enjoy climbing. And now I can flex my thighs.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5717/30189711582_5ae2fd281b_b.jpg

cool. great pic.

NHAero
12-28-2016, 05:53 AM
It just makes that particular bike easier to grab and go, and take on a casual short ride in normal shoes. Still using the clipless on the Anderson. And not saying that on the couple of times annually when I might take the Nagasawa on a 35 mile ride that I might not take the five minutes and swap 'em back to clipless!

I'm curious about what sort of "revelation" that was: Funner? Easier in/out? More power?

I switched the other way, from toeclips&straps to clipless, ~10.5 years ago and that was a revelation to me at the time...because it had taken me nearly an entire decade (!) to become completely comfortable getting into toeclips, whereas it only took me one week to become completely comfortable getting into clipless pedals.

gomango
12-28-2016, 07:49 AM
Pretty simple.

The Yeti SB5 and all road bikes get used heavily and the nice road bikes just sit there.

I spent six weekends at Cuyuna Lakes and seven more in Duluth. Fantastic trails to be sure and both are expanding.

I ended up doing a 256 mile ride from our cabin to St. Paul, all on gravel.

I was down in the Lanesboro area quite often riding gravel and the big highlight was a trip to Moab/Fruita.

I've gone bonkers for off road and there's no looking back.

PQJ
12-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Mountain biking is a ton of fun. Bit of a learning curve, but once you get the basic skills down, it's a blast.

AngryScientist
12-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Chlidren change biking habits for the better IMHO. I saw the writing on the wall when my first was born; I need to ride WITH them because... I ❤️ BIKES😅👍👍😅😅. Bought a Bullitt and cannot say enough about how wonderful it is. I have about 30k Km of riding with my first two kids in it. LOVE riding UP hills on it with them. LOVE IT.

this is a hell of a first post. welcome to the forum, and i like your enthusiasm. good on ya. :beer:

bigbill
12-28-2016, 08:02 AM
I had back surgery in November of 2015 and was off the bike until 12/30. I had no goals other than to ride based on how my back felt. I passed 8000 miles yesterday.

Of the above 8000 miles, around 2000 were gravel rides including a 50 mile gravel grinder race. In 2017, I want to have more gravel miles and I want a new bike to do them.

I lost my steel Argonaut when Southwest Frameworks burned down. That still hurts. I loved that bike so much that I had considered selling the Pegoretti. Good thing I didn't.

merckx
12-28-2016, 08:18 AM
All of my changes made this past year were comfort/ergonomic related:

narrower bars
shorter cranks
larger pedal platform

All worth the investment.

fuzzalow
12-28-2016, 08:20 AM
I've gone bonkers for off road and there's no looking back.

I understand the inclination. Road riding has become much more stressful and threatening. This has come about due to the ever present danger of automobile, personal technology and modern culture in creating the perfect storm of sensory overload and distraction:

Increased crowding and traffic densities on public roadways
Increased self absorbed focus & behaviour cultivated and inculcated by personal technology, social media participation and addiction
Car culture that markets and reinforces the primacy in the inward satisfaction of the user experience between the consumer and the product. Purposely ignoring the products use & limitations in the realities of the modern road going environment
But even for that, I am an optimist. Bicycle culture is slowly encroaching and integrating itself into broader society, especially urban environs. It will take a long time, as cultural change often does. In the mean time, we all have to stay alive so that we, as cyclists, might see the day.

Be careful out there.

merckx
12-28-2016, 08:54 AM
I should also add after reading Fuzzalow's post above that I have attached front and rear blinkies on my road machine for day use beginning this year. I may be naïve to believe that they will make a difference regarding my safety, but perhaps they will uphold a proper settlement that my family can enjoy.

guido
12-28-2016, 10:44 AM
My appetite for fatter tires is hard to satisfy. What started as a fondness for 38s and 42s has expanded this year to 52s and 4" fat bike tires... Oh my!

rpm
12-28-2016, 10:51 AM
I started the season with four bikes--a 2003 Strong ti racer, a 2006 Strong steel gravel bike, a 2009 Serotta CDA, and my old 80's English bike road bike that I switched to upright bars. It was my custom to ride the steel Strong early in the season because it could take 32 mm tires, and then alternate the ti Strong and Serotta throughout the season.

But this year I put some Compass extralite tires on the steel Strong and found myself reaching for it over the other bikes even when the weather got nice. By the end of the season I had gotten rid of the CDA and English bike, and ordered a new steel custom with 650b wheels--taking the comfy and versatile bike idea up another notch.

gomango
12-28-2016, 12:53 PM
and ordered a new steel custom with 650b wheels--taking the comfy and versatile bike idea up another notch.

If I may ask, what did you order?

Just curious.

gomango
12-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Agreed.

I still commute when possible, but I sometimes get a queasy feeling when I leave in the morning. I leave a Niterider 950 on my helmet, while I transfer a Pro 1400 from bike to bike as a headlight. For a tail light I use twin Sentinel 150s. I look like a UFO.

So I'll still ride local roads, but more for the utility.

I understand the inclination. Road riding has become much more stressful and threatening. Be careful out there.

Duende
12-28-2016, 02:17 PM
I bought my close friends who commute lights years ago. All the damn Uber drivers in SF not knowing the city streets make commuting a real health risk.

Another reason why I got a gravel bike this year.

Tickdoc
12-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Gosh I feel bad as I don't think I've had any great cycling revelations this year.

27's are the biggest tire I've ever ridden on the road, but my 23 sewups are still my favs. I still have no desire for gravel or mtb, or cross for that matter.

I'm just gong to keep plugging along and ride when I can. Maybe a revelation will come to me here in the next week:rolleyes:

bocobiking
12-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Then trundle on down to Vecchio's and look at the 50th anniversary Campag/ Merckx or vintage Bianchi on the walls..talk to joe, jim or Carl..they speak 'old'..good for you, and once again, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Pick up a copy of Rouleur...have a beer.

OBTW-no plastic bikes there except those getting fixed. :D

My wife and I are there a lot. Joe fitted her for her Waterford bike. I have gotten gotten spokes sized, headset installed, and lots of advice from Jim for my steel bike builds. And you helped me a time or two when you were there.

Best shop in the Denver metro area, maybe farther.

CampyorBust
12-28-2016, 07:39 PM
My cycling revelations for 2016 were mostly negative in nature, all except for that I found out I do indeed like Conti 4000s II and the price for chain rings is too damn high!

weisan
12-28-2016, 07:46 PM
My cycling revelations for 2016 were mostly negative in nature, all except for that I found out I do indeed like Conti 4000s II and the price for chain rings is too damn high!

Bust pal, if you don't mind, I am interested in hearing the "negatives" too. ;)

CampyorBust
12-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Bust pal, if you don't mind, I am interested in hearing the "negatives" too. ;)

Well the Vittoria Diamantes are hooooooorrible tires. I was inconsolable, I thought they were the bees knees for many years and bought only them for at least for four bikes. As for the other stuff partial disclosure down below…

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/FOIA.OSMRE_.09_zpsmfthgmgs.jpg

rpm
12-29-2016, 02:48 PM
If I may ask, what did you order?

Just curious.

A Clockwork. Joel is working on it now.

ColonelJLloyd
12-29-2016, 02:53 PM

Been following the photo progression. Your custom looks like it will have similar geo to mine. Head tube for days!.

gomango
12-29-2016, 02:57 PM

I would likely make the same choice.

His work is exceptional.

Please share pics.

ColonelJLloyd
12-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Please share pics.

I don't follow many on Flickr, but this (https://www.flickr.com/photos/clockworkbikes/) is one. His nature photos are crazy good.

gomango
12-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Been following the photo progression. Your custom looks like it will have similar geo to mine. Head tube for days!.

Hah, I've been following it w/o awareness that it was his. :)

I could easily see ordering a similar version in a couple of years.

choke
12-29-2016, 04:30 PM

Now I don't even enjoy going in to bike stores and looking at their latest carbon fiber carbon copy bikes.Your first sentence pretty much describes me. There was a time when I chased the 'latest and greatest' but that was several years ago....and I was never enthralled with carbon fiber.

In the last year I've become even more of a retro-grouch, to the point that I'm probably going to start removing Ergo levers from most of the herd and replacing them with DT shifters; I've already done that on the bike I ride the most and I don't miss the Ergos at all.

kevinvc
12-29-2016, 05:46 PM
I've learned that commuting can be enjoyable and doesn't have to be a frustrating training attempt. I now use larger tires, platform pedals and wear regular clothes as opposed to a kit. I have found that cars seem to be more polite around me now. I'm assuming it's a combination of seeing me as a "real person" as opposed to a lycra-clad ahole, and the fact that I'm probably riding more predictably rather than like a lycra-clad ahole.

I did my first bikecamping trip. It was all on paved roads and staying at established campgrounds. It was also amazing and one of the best vacations I've had. This year I plan on doing as much bikecamping as possible, even if it's just short weekend trips.

My impression is that the percentage of drivers who are noticeably agitated and distracted is increasing. There has been a jump in the numbers of pedestrians and cyclists killed in Portland this year. I am also certain that I see more people playing with their mobile devices while driving than before. This has all prompted me to decide to do more dirt / gravel riding.

_G_
12-29-2016, 06:04 PM
I had the revelation that, most likely, the things that were going to make me faster on the bike did not involve being on the bike. Things like cross training, seeing the PT, dropping a couple of pounds, and some rest were likely going to pay bigger dividends than another ride.

The bigger revelation was I would rather ride more than do any of those things.
This year turned out to be more about having fun on the bike than being faster.

Maybe 2017 will be different.

estilley
12-29-2016, 06:13 PM
1. Full time rain bike.

2. I like racing.

3. Don't break any bones.

4. Always stop to take that photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djg
12-29-2016, 06:17 PM
My 2016 cycling revelation: I am not happy when I go about a year without riding a bike.

Things happen. I wasn't at war or battling a fatal illness. The shoulder had been an issue for years. It continued its erosion, as expected. The mileage and frequency started to drop well before 2016, but by 2016 it was down to about nothing. I purchased a new shoulder in July -- had it installed the very same day. Things started to improve shortly thereafter, but slowly. Very slowly.

I'm ready to try turning some pedals again. Rode a stupid rental beach bike yesterday and sort of loved it. I'll try riding one of my own on Sunday. Fitness is a hazy memory, but whatever. I will be very particular about tires -- they must have air in them and stay on the rims. Saddle, check. Pedals.

rpm
12-29-2016, 09:08 PM

I'm an old and stiff T-Rex, so this bike is about fitting me for the way I really ride now, not how I rode 30 years ago. It's gonna be good.

jambee
12-30-2016, 03:50 AM
This is a great thread. It helped reflecting on this crazy year.

Revelation 1: when you wait on a frame set for 14 months, your taste or bike lust may change. In this case, I got on the Elephant NFE waiting list in October 2015. I was very excited about it. By the time December 2016 arrived, and my position in the line was 1, I was somehow in love with the new Specialized Sequoia. I still bought the Elephant.
Conclusion: If you're buying a stock bike, pull the trigger, or don't buy a stock bike.

Revelation 2: Randonneur bikes and commuter bikes share the same traits. This actually helped me change my whole bike strategy. I am in the process of building up the Elephant NFE as a commuter+rando with full fenders, lights and front rack, relieving my Seven Mudxium from its fenders and brevet bike role. This will be awesome!

Revelation 3: Lets admit it, I'm not a roadie. I built up a fantastic Indy fab Crown Jewel Ti this year and rode it about 200km. It's a real pity. Instead, every minute I can, I spend on my Seven Mudxium with its Compass 38mm tires, wide salsa bars, Swift handle bar bag and full frame pump. I built that Seven in 2013 for an "all-road" use (even called it "The One") and its been absolutely perfect since.

Revelation 4: Changing jobs affect one's cycling. I changed jobs in October 2015. 2016 was spent on the road a lot (75 flights this year). I then switched roles within my company to a group that's operating like a startup. I love the work, the team, the challenge. However, i work easily 12 hours a day and do not feel that I can make the time to ride. That meant that I only officially rode 3000km this year. It must be fixed in 2017. Smart trainer here I come.

Revelation 5: Commute to your home office. I treat the home office as a real office. No working in pjs. Wake up, drink your coffee, shower, get dressed, get on the bike, ride in a loop to your office. This approach creates a nice physical separation between home and work. Repeat the same approach at night.

Revelation 6: Cycling is a life long hobby. Having one year with less kilometers under one's ass means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm still thinking that the Specialized Sequoia is probably the best rando commuter off the shelf bike one can get. It may be the plus one in 2017.

Happy new year y'all and keep on riding.

seanile
12-30-2016, 09:03 AM
The bigger revelation was I would rather ride more than do any of those things.
This year turned out to be more about having fun on the bike than being faster. i like your style

sjbraun
12-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Carbon wheels are really nice. I've always thought carbon wheels would be a "poser" choice for me; I ride for fun, not results. But, with a surprisingly favorable insurance settlement in hand from my recently stolen Look 585, I bought a set of Boyd Cycling's carbon clinchers. Not to get too crazy, I opted for the 28mm rims. I have little need for the the aero effects of higher profile rims, and at least to my eyes, 45mm rims always ruin the aesthetics of a well designed bike. The wheels are really nice. They spin up quickly, maintain speed and even seem to smooth out some of Tucson crappy road surfaces. Boyd uses a special braking surface that results in braking as good as any AL rim I've used.
Who'd have thought that carbon wheels could be so nice?

Kobe
12-30-2016, 09:54 AM

Welcome to the small Clockwork club, your 650b looks great. It's nice that your close by and can visit it and Joel to get it perfect. I did mine from a distance and Joel was great to work with.

rpm
12-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the small Clockwork club, your 650b looks great. It's nice that your close by and can visit it and Joel to get it perfect. I did mine from a distance and Joel was great to work with.

Is your bike the touring bike with the Paul center-pulls? If so, it was one of the inspirations for my new bike.

Working with Joel was very straightforward. I met with him and told him what I wanted and gave him my detailed fit sheet, and he told me would get to it around the holidays. A few days ago, he sent me a drawing, and a couple of e-mails and drawings later, we had the design, and he ordered my build kit and started on the frame.

vitaly66
12-31-2016, 01:18 PM
Couple other revelations from the past year:

1) I like 165mm cranks.

2) All my bikes are awesome.

Duende
12-31-2016, 01:31 PM
Carbon wheels are really nice. I've always thought carbon wheels would be a "poser" choice for me; I ride for fun, not results. But, with a surprisingly favorable insurance settlement in hand from my recently stolen Look 585, I bought a set of Boyd Cycling's carbon clinchers. Not to get too crazy, I opted for the 28mm rims. I have little need for the the aero effects of higher profile rims, and at least to my eyes, 45mm rims always ruin the aesthetics of a well designed bike. The wheels are really nice. They spin up quickly, maintain speed and even seem to smooth out some of Tucson crappy road surfaces. Boyd uses a special braking surface that results in braking as good as any AL rim I've used.
Who'd have thought that carbon wheels could be so nice?

You running these on a steel or carbon bike? Thinking about upgrading my road bike.

sjbraun
12-31-2016, 02:43 PM
You running these on a steel or carbon bike? Thinking about upgrading my road bike.

I bought these intending them for a new carbon frame that begins construction next, a Squadra by Hampsten. But since it will be a few months before that frame is ready, I put them on a steel frame. Being only 28mm high, they don't look out of place like a higher profile rim would.

I doubt you'll regret getting a set of these wheels. They ride very nicely. If you want a higher profile rim, one of our fellow Pacelinrrs has a set of 44mm wheels that he's selling for half of retail.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/59591cd0245f016418dddc8109859562.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/59591cd0245f016418dddc8109859562.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk