PDA

View Full Version : Help with etap FD

Dan Le foot
12-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Hi Gang.
I got Michelle Etap for Christmas. One happy gal.
But I can't figure out how the FD attaches to the seat tube. I have an old Shimano braze on adapter but it doesn't seem to fit the FD. There is no instruction manual and all the videos I've seen don't discus it. Just says to attach.
I must be missing something simple.
Help
Dan

SoCalSteve
12-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Gang.
But I can't figure out how the FD attaches to the seat tube. I have an old Shimano braze on adapter but it doesn't seem to fit the FD. There is no instruction manual and all the videos I've seen don't discus it. Just says to attach.
Help
Dan

Obviously without seeing what's going on, we can only speculate. That being said, it attaches like any other front derailleur. No difference.

I guess the first question is: Does the frame have a braze on clamp or do you need to get a clamp on adaptor? If you need the adaptor, they come in different sizes as they corresponds to the diameter of the seat tube width.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Front+Derailleur+Clamp+Adapter&vendorCode=SHIM&major=1&minor=33

Feel free to attach pictures of just elaborate more on what is going on. We are here to help!

Good luck!

Dan Le foot
12-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks Steve.
I've attached many front derailleurs, both braze on and clamp on before.
The bike is not braze on. I have an Shimano adapter that I have used on both Shimano and Campy 11 FD? But the Etap FD simply does not fit into the slot.
I never used SRAM before. Do they require a different braze on adapter?
I'm stumped said the one leg man.
Dan

SoCalSteve
12-25-2016, 09:52 PM
Thanks Steve.
I've attached many front derailleurs, both braze on and clamp on before.
The bike is not braze on. I have an Shimano adapter that I have used on both Shimano and Campy 11 FD? But the Etap FD simply does not fit into the slot.
I never used SRAM before. Do they require a different braze on adapter?
I'm stumped said the one leg man.
Dan

The link I attached in the previous posting is not the clamp I used on 2 separate bikes, both with an etap front derailleur. It was this one:

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Ultegra+Di2+Derailleur+Clamp&vendorCode=SHIM&major=1&minor=41

Sorry for the mistake!!!

oldpotatoe
12-26-2016, 06:42 AM
Hi Gang.
Help
Dan

Problems solvers, O8, Miche..those that 'mimic' a braze on tab.

ahumblecycler
12-26-2016, 07:44 AM
From SRAM spare parts PDF:

11.7618.000.000 Braze-on Adaptor Red 34.9 with Chainspotter Stop Black

11.7618.000.001 Braze-on Adaptor Red 31.8 with Chainspotter Stop Black

I have used the Shimano Di2 adapter successfully for SRAM mechanical FDs; the Problem Solver is, well, a problem solver :hello:

I have a braze-on system that I am hoping plays nice with eTap. Year ago, I had a bike that did not play well with Force and ended up switching to a DA7800 FD.

Dan Le foot
12-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Can I assume that a standard SRAM Red adapter will work?

SoCalSteve
12-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Can I assume that a standard SRAM Red adapter will work?

Not a clue, but the Shimano DI2 part that I linked you in my second posting works perfectly. Matches the finish as well of the etap.

Good luck!

Dan Le foot
12-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Not a clue, but the Shimano DI2 part that I linked you in my second posting works perfectly. Matches the finish as well of the etap.

Good luck!

I understand, Steve. I'll check out the LBS for it.
I just removed the campy 11 adapter from another bike. It seems to fit nicely with the ETAP FD.
Any thoughts? Am I over thinking this?
Thanks

SoCalSteve
12-26-2016, 11:05 AM
I just removed the campy 11 adapter from another bike. It seems to fit nicely with the ETAP FD.
Thanks

No thoughts, it's a derailleur collar, if it fits then you must acquit! Wait, that's something very different.

Not sure exactly why your original one didn't play nicely, but as long as it fits tight and fits tight around the seat tube, then you are good to go!

Enjoy!!!

oldpotatoe
12-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks

But but but...never mind:) I think the older shimano der clamp has a ledge on the top, the newer ones and mentioned ones, don't.

Dan Le foot
12-27-2016, 09:28 PM
But but but...never mind:) I thing the older shimano der clamp has a ledge on the top, the newer ones and mentioned ones, don't.

Ok oldpotatoe. Gotta ask. But what?
I'm having problems with the FD. Could it be the Campy clamp adapter? Or simply operator error?

SoCalSteve
12-27-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm having problems with the FD. Could it be the Campy clamp adapter? Or simply operator error?

What problems are you having?

Dan Le foot
12-27-2016, 10:48 PM
What problems are you having?

Sloppy action going from small to large. Sometimes it doesn't make it. Sometime the chain gets jammed, half on large, half on small. Never seen that happen before. Limit screws are crazy making.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2016, 05:30 AM

pic below, maybe the front der part won't fit into this space, with the ledge. I had problems with early Campag frontd ders..didn't fit. Newer ones, don't have the ledge, look more like frame braze on tabs.

My but, but, but part a snarky reference to using a Campagnolo part to class up a sram component..

kidding!!!:D:eek::rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
12-28-2016, 06:12 AM
Sloppy action going from small to large. Sometimes it doesn't make it. Sometime the chain gets jammed, half on large, half on small. Never seen that happen before. Limit screws are crazy making.

Which crank? 10s perhaps?

Dan Le foot
12-28-2016, 09:11 AM
pic below, maybe the front der part won't fit into this space, with the ledge. I had problems with early Campag frontd ders..didn't fit. Newer ones, don't have the ledge, look more like frame braze on tabs.

My but, but, but part a snarky reference to using a Campagnolo part to class up a sram component..

kidding!!!:D:eek::rolleyes:

thanks.
The Shimano clamp does have the lip, OP. But the Campy part doesn't. I'm going to start from scratch again today.
BTW
When I try to line up the FD using the lines the cages don't seem to be parallel to the chain ring. Is that a SRAM thing? Should Imsimply ignore the lines and simply eye ball it like the mechanical?

SoCalSteve
12-28-2016, 09:25 AM
thanks.
The Shimano clamp does have the lip, OP. But the Campy part doesn't. I'm going to start from scratch again today.
BTW
When I try to line up the FD using the lines the cages don't seem to be parallel to the chain ring. Is that a SRAM thing? Should Imsimply ignore the lines and simply eye ball it like the mechanical?

Which derailleur clamp are you using? Did you get the black DI2 version like the one in the second link? I know for a fact that it works perfectly with the derailleur and has no alignment issues whatsoever.

I'd start there.

In my experience, the line on the derailleur cage is a great starting off point for proper alignment of the cage in relationship with the rings. One thing did come to mind though...is the derailleur too low or high in relationship to the rings? That may also be where your issues come to play.

We have discussed this before on here. The tolerances for proper installation of the etap front derailleur are very narrow unlike Shimano ( which is much more forgiving ).

My suggestion to you is to first watch this video : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQc8wGnF-Tk and get the proper front derailleur collar. If you still have issues, go to a bike store that has a mechanic who is experienced with installing etap and watch him do the adjustment. Or, if you are ever in LA, I'd be happy to help you get your wife's bike up and running

Good luck!

oldpotatoe
12-28-2016, 09:32 AM
thanks.
BTW

Parallel or following the ARC of the chainring? If lots tail up may need the sram front der wedge/shim things. You said your wife's bike, if smallish may have a pretty steel seat tube.

Dan Le foot
12-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Which derailleur clamp are you using? Did you get the black DI2 version like the one in the second link? I know for a fact that it works perfectly with the derailleur and has no alignment issues whatsoever.

I'd start there.

In my experience, the line on the derailleur cage is a great starting off point for proper alignment of the cage in relationship with the rings. One thing did come to mind though...is the derailleur too low or high in relationship to the rings? That may also be where your issues come to play.

We have discussed this before on here. The tolerances for proper installation of the etap front derailleur are very narrow unlike Shimano ( which is much more forgiving ).

My suggestion to you is to first watch this video : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQc8wGnF-Tk and get the proper front derailleur collar. If you still have issues, go to a bike store that has a mechanic who is experienced with installing etap and watch him do the adjustment. Or, if you are ever in LA, I'd be happy to help you get your wife's bike up and running

Good luck!
Thanks Steve.
Amazing what a good nights sleep, attention to details, and good lighting will do. Very tight tolerances as you mentioned. Got it working in short order.
The only problem now is a slower response going from small to large chainring. Not as smooth or responsive as Campy mechanical. I suppose I could try moving the inner cage outboard a bit but I'm already getting chain rub on the big big combo. I tried to tell DW not to ride in that combo but she says the pros do. But they probabaly not riding a 28 cassette. I may take it to an experience wrench for a final tuning.
BTW.
The crank is a Campy 11. 50/34. Is it possible the FD isn't quite compatible?

Dan Le foot
12-28-2016, 10:47 AM
Parallel or following the ARC of the chainring? If lots tail up may need the sram front der wedge/shim things. You said your wife's bike, if smallish may have a pretty steel seat tube.

Erickson Ti frame, OP. 31.8 clamp fits fine. Is it possible to put a wedge on a clamp adapter? I couldn't see how.

SoCalSteve
12-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Erickson Ti frame, OP. 31.8 clamp fits fine. Is it possible to put a wedge on a clamp adapter? I couldn't see how.

I believe the wedge is for braze on only.

I've never used Campy, but I think it's been established that all 3 companies are compatible.