PDA

View Full Version : How many bikes on Performance/Swagman bed bike rack???

loimpact
12-24-2016, 11:06 AM
I think it's pretty self explanatory (unless I'm missing something) but while these bike racks say "holds up to 2 bikes" I'd imagine it's more of a "hey, however many you think you can fit" kind of thing.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1108534_-1___000000#pr-header-back-to-top-link

http://www.swagman.net/product/pick-up/

I'm guessing 3 is easily doable but if anybody's got one (or similar to this) any feedback much appreciated!!

TIA

dave thompson
12-24-2016, 01:06 PM
There are two limiting factors; the availability of the front wheel traps ( they appear unusual and may be proprietary) and the width of the vehicle being used.

Elefantino
12-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Because of the way the sections join in the middle, the Performance race will only hold two. If you want to carry more, you would have to use two racks and stagger the bikes, which is doable.

loimpact
12-24-2016, 03:22 PM
There are two limiting factors; the availability of the front wheel traps ( they appear unusual and may be proprietary) and the width of the vehicle being used.

Good point and agreed! Ya, the mounts are readily available atPB (and I suspect the Swagman ones work as well as I assume they actually make this for PB.

As such, they're available separately and because of that I notice in the reviews many folks have bought thirds of these to mount 3 bikes so it sounds like it's definitely doable for somebody like me. (full size truck)

Because of the way the sections join in the middle, the Performance race will only hold two. If you want to carry more, you would have to use two racks and stagger the bikes, which is doable.

Just for more info on the spacing of the bar itself......one side actually extends beyond what shows in the pic. As such and in the case of something as side as a full size truck, I believe that is how these folks are getting a 3rd mount in.

Now, get one more on the tailgate side, put 2 in between the 3, then a 4-bike rack on the hitch & that's 9 bikes. Add a roof mount & maybe 2 or 3 more. Then I can run support for the pro tour! LOL! :p