PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel NDS radial lacing

henrypretz
12-23-2016, 09:47 PM
A recently purchased bike came with WI/Sapim Laser/A23 wheelset 28/32. Front is 2X, rear is 3X DS, radial NDS. I really like the wheels, but the lacing issue bugs the crud out of me.
I did a search looking for the reasoning behind the radial lacing and didn't really find any answers. I'm hoping that one of the Paceline experts can shed some light on this for me. Is there an advantage of some kind over X lacing? Can I re lace 3X to match the DS? Will I need to swap out all of the spokes? If I just ride it the way it is will it asplode? Will I be ostracized by the community here?
Will I lose weight and my acne clear up?

Anyway, thanks for any input you may have.
Henry

.... and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone here at this wonderful, helpful place.

cmbicycles
12-23-2016, 10:01 PM
I picked up a powertap wheel a little while back that was laced 3x nds, and was radial on the drive side... I just use it as-is, but plan to relace it in the near future if I find the PT something worthwhile for me.
Advantages?- none really
Can it be relaced to 3x?- absolutely
Will it asplode- no
Will you be ostracized- maybe, depends on things like saddlebag drop, campy/shimano/sram, tall socks/short, rapha or not... etc ;)
Will it clear up your acne- that's outside my scope of practice

If you swap it to 3x, the spokes are pulling on a stronger section of hub rather than straight, so should be more reliable long term, but you will need longer spokes.

Peter P.
12-23-2016, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=henrypretz;2097408]
I did a search looking for the reasoning behind the radial lacing and didn't really find any answers...Is there an advantage of some kind over X lacing? Can I re lace 3X to match the DS?

It's done primarily to save a few grams. Since the torque loads (pedaling forces aren't shared evenly between the drive side and NDS flanges with the majority of the load born by the drive side spokes, there's little need for tangent spoking on the NDS. I prefer standard tangential spoking on the NDS because the crossed spokes add some lateral stiffness.

Can I re lace 3X to match the DS?

You could, but I wouldn't. Once spokes are brought up to tension, the spoke holes in the flange will deform and the spokes will "take a set". The flange material is designed to do this; it provides a better support to the spoke elbow and eliminates any sharp edges which may cut into the spoke. As a result of this deformation, the metal grain takes a set. if you change the spoking of a wheel, the elbows will change the angle they leave the flange, and will cause stress risers around the spoke holes. This often leads to cracked hub flanges. I've seen it, and had it happen to me.

Will I need to swap out all of the spokes?

If you still want to change the spoke pattern, you'll only need to change the NDS spoke length. If, in the process you decide to remove the drive side spokes, be sure to keep the drive side and NDS spokes separated as they are different lengths, varying by 1 or 2 mm if both sides are laced 3x, with the NDS spokes being the longer of the two.

If I just ride it the way it is will it asplode? Will I be ostracized by the community here? Will I lose weight and my acne clear up?

No, but it might whiten your teeth and freshen your breath.

hokoman
12-24-2016, 04:35 AM
A little off topic, but anyone know why ksyrium wheels are radial on the drive side and cross on the non drive? Btw, your wheels should be fine.

oldpotatoe
12-24-2016, 04:55 AM
A recently purchased bike came with WI/Sapim Laser/A23 wheelset 28/32. Front is 2X, rear is 3X DS, radial NDS. I really like the wheels, but the lacing issue bugs the crud out of me.
I did a search looking for the reasoning behind the radial lacing and didn't really find any answers. I'm hoping that one of the Paceline experts can shed some light on this for me. Is there an advantage of some kind over X lacing? Can I re lace 3X to match the DS? Will I need to swap out all of the spokes? If I just ride it the way it is will it asplode? Will I be ostracized by the community here?
Will I lose weight and my acne clear up?

Anyway, thanks for any input you may have.
Henry

.... and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone here at this wonderful, helpful place.

The theory goes that on the NDS rear, where the tension is less than the DS rear, having all the looser spokes always be 'tightened' while the wheel is rotating, torqued forward, you'll see fewer loosening NDS spokes.

In practice, I don't thinks that true. Can you relace just the NDS spokes?, Sure, need longer spokes, detension all, replace, those, rebuild.

Do you need to? No. Will you have a great Christmas and safe new year with a radial NDS rear wheel? Hope so. :)

Davist
12-24-2016, 07:31 AM
I always found it interesting on how "some" (I don't have any) mavic wheels it's radial on the NDS and others have it radial on the DS.. I always thought that the longer the lever (ie NDS) the greater the torque. Engineering wise, it seems a little strange...

http://www.pushys.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/a/mavic-ksyrium-elite-s-700x25c-wts-front-wheel-2016-black-KS-16-ELITE-BLK-rear-hub.jpg

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/images/Mavic%20Cosmic%20Carbon%2040%20Wheels/Mavic%20Cosmic%20Carbon%2040%20Wheels%20-%20rear%20hub.jpg?itok=F7oCNioa

I play it safe and cross my spokes, I also like them laced, LOL..

wallymann
12-24-2016, 07:41 AM
double post

wallymann
12-24-2016, 07:42 AM
It's done primarily to save a few grams.

i do this on all my non PT wheels, it just makes building them up a little more interesting and engaging. plus, when someone knows enough and looks closely enough to notice the mixed lacing, your street-cred gets a bump! ;-)