PDA

View Full Version : How to Deal with Chasing Dogs?

weisan
04-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I remembered a while back there was a discussion thread on people making suggestions on how they personally deal with the dogs they encountered in a ride.

This morning I saw an excellent article from RoadBikeRider.com, thought I might contribute it here.

You can either visit their website (http://www.roadbikerider.com/articles.htm#How%20to%20Deal%20With%20Bad%20Dogs)

Or read below...hope this is helpful to you.
weisan

=============================================
How to Deal With Bad Dogs
By Fred Matheny and Ed Pavelka of www.RoadBikeRider.com
=============================================
Dog attacks are high on the list of cycling fears. Maybe you can’t stop Fang from giving chase, but you can outsmart him if you know how dogs think—assuming that stinkin’ mutt even has a brain!

Know dog psychology. The majority of dogs who chase cyclists are merely defending their territory. When you pedal off the section of road that they consider their turf, you no longer pose a threat to their ancestral instincts and they lose interest. Incidentally, this is why you’ll rarely be chased by a dog you encounter way out in the boonies. He’s not on his turf so he couldn’t care less about you.

Know dog tactics. Dogs want to attack from the rear, coming up from the hindquarter. Even one who sits up in his yard ahead of you may wait till you pass before giving chase. You can use this to your advantage in the next tip because it gives you a head start.

Sprint! You often can outsprint Fido when he’s more interested in fooling around than in actually attacking. You can tell his intent by how hard he’s running and his expression. An easy gait with woofing and ears and tail up, no problem. A full-out sprint with ears back, tail down and teeth out, problem. Still, the territorial gene can save you. If the road is flat or downhill, stand up and sprint to get past the dog’s invisible boundary.

Guard your front wheel. When a dog sees you coming, he might make a beeline for your bike, then attempt to turn up beside you. The danger here is that his poor little paws will skid on the pavement and he’ll plow into your wheels. If he hits the front one, you’ll crash. Sprint so that you move forward faster than he expects, and give him a margin for error by steering farther into the road—if traffic permits!

SCREAM! Most dogs know what happens when a human is angry with them. A sudden shout of “No!” or “Git!” or “Stay!” will surprise Fluffy and probably make him hesitate for just the second you need to take the advantage. If he’s hard of hearing, raise your hand threateningly as if it contains a rock. Outlaw mutts usually have had experience with bad things flying at them when a human makes a throwing gesture.

Play douse the Doberman. If you see big, fast Prince up ahead and know that he sees you, sprinting might not work. Especially if the road is tilting up. Take out your water bottle. Just having it in your hand may make him stay away. If he does come near you, give him a faceful and a loud yell. This distraction will slow him down, though he may come back for more. Just don’t distract yourself and ride off the road.

Some riders swear by Halt pepper spray that they clip to their handlebar. This stuff works great—if you hit your target. That’s a big if when you and Spot are going different speeds, the air is moving, and you’re trying to stay on the road. Pepper spray stings a dog’s eyes, nose and mouth, but it doesn’t cause lasting damage. It also works on human attackers, but that’s a different story.

Give up and get off. If nothing works and Toodles has the upper hand, dismount quickly and hold your bike between you and those sharp teeth. Swing it like a weapon if necessary, and start calling for help. Someone may eventually come out of a house and yell, “Oh, he won’t hurt you!”

Call the cops. If you are attacked and bitten, report it to the county sheriff or other authority immediately. Include the location, a description of the dog and the owner’s name and address if you know them. Get medical attention without delay. If the dog was rabid, you are at risk of serious illness or even death. Demand proof of rabies vaccination or insist to authorities that the dog be quarantined.

If the same dog accosts you every time you ride the road, report this to the authorities, too. You have a right to use public roadways free from fear for your life, liberty and pursuit of cycling happiness. Keep following up with calls to make sure steps are taken to put PupPup on a rope.

TimD
04-08-2004, 10:39 AM
There are a couple of unleashed dogs along our regular routes. The most reliable chaser is about halfway down a 35 MPH downhill. He puts up a good, short chase with lots of barking but rarely goes much beyond the boundaries of his yard and hasn't come into the road that I can remember.

There's a pair who live just over the top of an annoyingly steep climb who are too old to chase much but rarely fail to offer a few hearty woofs as we coast by.

We had an unexpected encounter the other day; a pair of what looked like Rhodesian Ridegbacks were off their leashes in a yard and took off after the four of us. One dropped fairly quickly but the other ran at 27 MPH for what seemed like 200 yards and very nearly got in front of us. We were barking back, laughing, and egging each other (and the dog!) on so he ultimately kept his distance and faded. We all had a real good time... :)

I've never had to resort to the use of a pump or any other form of truncheon, nor had any real close calls. Not to say it cannot or will not happen, of course.

dave thompson
04-08-2004, 11:08 AM
RoadBikeRider.com has some good suggestions. My wife and I were both bitten by dogs several weeks ago (see gruesome details here! http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1876/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1) and even though that episode is over I still get the willies every time I hear a dog bark while I'm riding.

dbrk
04-08-2004, 11:34 AM
I've sorta' had it with dog owners that leave their dogs unleashed so every time I am chased I take down the house number and I immediately call the Sheriff's office to complain. I seriously doubt this has one iota of effect. First, I am cyclist and people in cars, like Sheriffs, treat us more as a nuisance than as equal citizens. Second, I think they always have more donuts to eat and "better things to do". Cynical about the law? You bet I am.

I've also sorta' had it with the dogs who are particularly aggressive, the growling, large, definitely ones I am afraid of...and I plan on using the Halt spray next time and really letting him have it. No pity from me. I like dogs, I own a darlin' dog who chases no humans, barks only rarely, and can't figure out how to growl.

This bit in the piece about how dogs in the boonies are less likely to chase is hooey. I ride nowhere else except the boonies and there is rarely a day I am not chased or calling the Sheriff.

dbrk

jeffg
04-08-2004, 11:57 AM
who have no sense of responsibility. Many of these dogs are just neglected and left to their own devices by folks who shouldn't have them in the first place. I have been accosted by many a dog and have even mercilessly hit one with a rock, but in most cases when I found out where it lived, I stopped being mad and was just sad for the poor thing. I have loved a Bouvier as much as I can love anything in this world, and just wish I could turn the pepper spray on the *&^%$**&^ owners. :no:

dave thompson
04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
who have no sense of responsibility. Many of these dogs are just neglected and left to their own devices by folks who shouldn't have them in the first place. I have been accosted by many a dog and have even mercilessly hit one with a rock, but in most cases when I found out where it lived, I stopped being mad and was just sad for the poor thing. I have loved a Bouvier as much as I can love anything in this world, and just wish I could turn the pepper spray on the *&^%$**&^ owners. :no:
That's a good idea! Turn in a dog for running loose, and the owners have to stand in line to get pepper srayed! The mental images are hilarious.

gasman
04-08-2004, 12:09 PM
I had a paper route as a kid for several years. The review on RBR is right on. I encounter dogs commonly on my riding, esp in the country and if you yell and raise your hand (or frame pump) and ride away most dogs will back off. One tactic I have used twice is to turn and ride straight toward the dog. Both times they turned tail and headed back into their yard. I did have to get off my bike and slowly walk away ,facing them ,to leave their yard.They didn't chase me again.I think they thought I was a crazy M....F...
One buddy of mine rides in Texas. He started carrying a small .22 pistol because of the rednecks hasseling him on his rides.One day this small dog came out, not barking, and bit him.He called the cops and reported the dog. Their response ? "Do you carry a gun?" "Uh yes" "Well just shoot the little bastard if it happens again." Texas justice. :cool:

Kevan
04-08-2004, 12:12 PM
there was a thread somewhere around here's that veered off course and turned to the subject of selecting a dog as a pet.

To those people harboring such foolish notions (I can say this cause I own two dogs, thus making me twice the fool.), the details here serve as a warning to owner responsibility.

In these days of seemingly easy litigation...since no dog can ever be totally trusted, small dogs, should they decide to inflict, make small wounds which hopefully mean small rewards.

Despite all the hell they raise, fences are good.

Tom
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
My brother worked in Alaska for a few years and brought back a joke you all may have heard before. Two people are wandering in the woods. A grizzly bear appears, acts threatening. One guy sits down, pulls a pair of sneakers out of his pack, and starts changing out of his hiking boots. His pal asks "What are you doing?" He replies "I'm going to run." His pal says "You can't outrun a grizzly bear!" "Yeah, but I can outrun you."

My plan is to ride with BBDave.

Ho ho!

davids
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
What really rang true for me was the section describing the owners saying,"Oh, he won't hurt you." As if that makes the whole episode OK!

My daughter used to be deathly afraid of dogs, and would freak out when she was approached by a fast-moving dog (fortunately she never had to deal with one that was actually bent on harm.) Owners would invariably say "Oh, he won't hurt you!", completely ignoring the fact that their animal's behavior had reduced a small child to screams and tears. The lack of sensitivity, or even obliviousness, to a human's reaction is infuriating! :mad: :no:

BumbleBeeDave
04-08-2004, 12:30 PM
If the dog is huge and obviously bent on murder, then I sprint like hell. But anything less and I turn around, go to "ramming speed" and yell "Banzai!!!" as loud as I can. It always freaks them out.

But I've had just as many who were friendly as were mean. Last year myself and a few friends were outside of town and what looked like a retriever/golden lab mix took off after us--and just kept running with us for over two miles! He was obviously friendly, just pacing us by the roadside. A neighbor of the owner finally drove by and picked up Rover after we stopped and were trying to figure out what to do. We doubted he could find his way home.

BBDave

JohnS
04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Down near Nashville where my brother used to live there was a dog like BBDave mentioned. He lived out in the boonies and was part pit bull. His name was Bud and he just loved running. He showed no aggession at all. He just used cyclists for exercise.
On another note, those Texas cops were right. Back in the early 1920's there was a line of cartridges called Velodogs. They weren't that powerful but were made for small pistols. Their name states their purpose.

Roy E. Munson
04-08-2004, 01:14 PM
If you ride the same route more than once, you'll likely get chased by the same dog over and over. So, after the first time, get a hot dog weiner or other really cheap meat or meat substitute, hollow some of it out and pack it with as much Exlax as you can. Go back and toss it onto the lawn of the dog owner near where the dog hangs out. After the dog devours it, one of two things will happen:

1. The dog will die of an Exlax overdose
2. The owner will be cleaning up dog schit for the next month.

Petty revenge - nothing better!!

Kevan
04-08-2004, 01:48 PM
The dog's doing what dogs do. The human, its owner, ain't doing nothing, and it is he who should pay.

dnovo
04-08-2004, 05:40 PM
No, no, no, the 12 gauge solution won't work. Too long and ungainly, and too heavy to carry on most rides. And, a 22 isn't the best idea either. While a 22 will fit neatly into the back of your jersey, its a mouse gun and cocker spaniels have been known to charge when wounded. The new S&W 50 Mag would work just fine, but that's too large to let you carry much spare ammo and a wheel gun is slow to reload. (Remember that wounded cocker. A true sportsman always tries to finish his quarry with the first shot, and never leaves a wounded predator on the field to attack again. It's just not done.)

My vote goes for a nice Glock in a 40 S&W or perhaps the new 45 Glock. A pair of extra clips will fit nicely into one of the other rear pockets on the jersey and its also a great solution for that moron in the SUV yacking on the cell phone rather than looking where he is going.

Remeber what Pa used to say, there is no such thing as overgunned. Dave N. ("Don't snuff that dwarf, hand me the pliers.")

Kevin
04-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Has anyone ever seen DaveN and Clint Eastwood in the same room at the same time?

Dave, I bet your clients pay promptly.

Kevin

JohnS
04-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Much better than the new Glock .45. It holds five more rounds, kicks about the same, and is easier to find ammo for.

dave thompson
04-08-2004, 07:10 PM
..and it may help your golf swing too!

H.Frank Beshear
04-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Living in the country every farm has a dog. The Blue Healers to the west know my bikes and voice (and size 46 Sidis :D ), and stay in the yard.The black mixed breed to the east is new and still in the training process. I have found on a hot summer day that a shot of ice water in the face will set a dog down on its rear so fast it gets a rug burn. Mostly I try to outrun them, same dogs every year. I worry more about the 16 year old on her way to school eating breakfastwhileputtingonmakeuptalkingtoaboutherboyf riendonthecellphoneandwhatdIjustrunoverohwellhesai dIsaid. Thats what I worry about living in the country. Frank

chuck
04-08-2004, 08:44 PM
After narrowly missing a huge black bear by about 3 feet in Vermont at dusk a couple of years ago, dogs don't seem as vicious as they used to. A couple decades ago I was being chased by a nasty german shephard and had pulled out my Zefal frame pump to swat it across the face when suddenly my left knee began shooting pain - a wasp decided to start stinging the snot out of my knee, so I used the pump on the wasp. Never seen a knee so bloody and badly beaten.
Chuck

BumbleBeeDave
04-08-2004, 09:31 PM
"Don't snuff that dwarf, hand me the pliers." :confused: :eek:

BBDave

csb
04-08-2004, 10:00 PM

weisan
04-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Let me clarify something. The original intent of me starting this thread was clearly not to encourage barbarism or brutality towards dogs or any other animals.

As riders on the road, we have the occasional problems of being pestered by dogs. I want to learn from others on how to deal with this problem. And I want to find the most effective method to do so with as little interruption as possible to my ride and if possible, with no risk of physical injury both to the human and to the dog. Obviously, we are talking about a moving target here. Not all encounters can be treated the same way. Different dogs have different personalities. The surrounding circumstances are also different.

All I can say is this. The reason I enjoy being outside riding my bike is the connection I establish with the outside environment. I consider the dog that happens to visit with me when I ride past its territory being a part of that environment and I need to respect that. The question is: "How can I safely make it through that potentially accident-prone encounter and leave everything behind the way it has been relatively intact and unharm?"

That's all I am asking. And I think I got a lot of excellent suggestions here. Thanks for contributing. :p

weisan

BumbleBeeDave
04-09-2004, 06:27 AM
. . . that a neutron bomb generally causes the least peripheral damage.

Never let it be said that I am not an advocate of totally equal opportunity barbarism. :rolleyes:

BBDave

dnovo
04-09-2004, 04:47 PM
BBDave asks, ""Don't snuff that dwarf, hand me the pliers." I reply, Firesign Theatre. (If that still means nothing, go to http://www.firesigntheatre.com/. And yes, my advanced age IS showing.)

Of course my response regarding how to deal with dogs was tongue in cheek. I have my domestiques dispose of them for me. Choice of caliber is left to their discretion. Dave N.

DWF
04-09-2004, 05:41 PM
My vote goes for a nice Glock in a 40 S&W or perhaps the new 45 Glock.
Glocks are for TV, hack firearms journalists, and techno-weenies. Did I say that out loud? What you need is a nice Para-Ordnance 1345. Not too big for a carry and chambered for a real caliber, the .45ACP. If you get a chance, try a .45 Super. Kicks too hard, barks too loud, and too much muzzle flash for a real combat pistol, but lots of fun.

Always good to remember what they teach you in the Army: your sidearm is what you use to fight with until you find a weapon.

Elefantino
04-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Know dog psychology.

I find this works. Wear a sweater vest while riding, stroke your chin knowingly and ask the onrushing dog, "Was your mother a bitch?"

:no:

JohnS
04-09-2004, 06:36 PM
I had 3 different 1911's before I got my Glock 23. It's a better gun. It never jams, doesn't need $1000 worth of work to function right, and is a pound lighter. I'll take 13 rounds of .40 over 8 of .45 any day of the week. The 1911 was a great gun...in 1911. We don't drive Model T's anymore, do we?
Just like an M16A2 is a better gun than the Springfield, Garand or M14. I've shot them all.

DWF
04-09-2004, 08:37 PM
I had 3 different 1911's before I got my Glock 23. It's a better gun. It never jams, doesn't need $1000 worth of work to function right, and is a pound lighter. I'll take 13 rounds of .40 over 8 of .45 any day of the week. The 1911 was a great gun...in 1911. We don't drive Model T's anymore, do we?
Just like an M16A2 is a better gun than the Springfield, Garand or M14. I've shot them all.
Besides the issue 1911's which were hit and miss, I've had a number .45's/m1911 clones myself. Never had a feed problem with FMJ's on the originals. The Para-Ordnance 1345 is a double stack/13 rounds, single action, 4.25" barrel, .45ACP. I've never had a feed/ejection problem or a misfire with it yet and it shoots beautifully. For a combat weapon, I'd trust it with my life.

As for the M1/M14/M16A2 comparison, I'll admit the M16A2 is the better weapon for the type of rifle fire and combat training today's troops receive, i.e., hoping for luck with high volumes of rounds downrange and not aimed rifle fire, but it's a far cry being half the weapon the 14 is/was. The most successful assault rifle ever produced is still the AK47/74 - it was built so sloppily it could fire in any condition and rarely jammed whereas the M16's rely too heavily on the forward assist....screw it...the M16 sucks and it has always sucked. If you ever did a jump with one and had a hard PLF to your left, you ended up with a banana and if you jump exposed weapons in sandy/muddy conditions, you had to service it before you could trust it. If I were to go into combat today and had my choice of weapons, it would be the FN FAL 50-63.

BumbleBeeDave
04-09-2004, 10:19 PM
. . . you’re a “divorced white female????” :rolleyes:

And dnovo . . . “Shoes for industry! Shoes for the dead!” Yes, we ARE all Bozos on this bus! :eek:

BBDave

dnovo
04-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Dave, my problem is while I have my tongue in my cheek, I don't know if others have their's in the same place. As for the Glock/1911 controversy, I opt out since I stopped playing with guns in 1969. The problem that caused me to develop this sudden aversion was flying around inside a very large, slow target. Hunting isn't much fun when you are the one with the bullseye painted on you, a perspective a few deer hunters around here share as we have our annual toll of inebreiated hunters who score almost as many of one another as whitetails. Dave N. (been there, done that, don't want to do it no more!)

DWF
04-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Dave, my problem is while I have my tongue in my cheek, I don't know if others have their's in the same place.
No, my tongue is definitely not in your cheek, it is however in my own. As the owner of several mutts, I'd never advise anyone to take a shot at one. Work it out with the dog and then kick the owner's a$$.

For the rest of it, it seems that some folks so overuse the emoticons that unless you have a couple hundred within and at the end of each message, folks think you're being too serious. Also for the record, I'm not a "divorced white female", DWF are merely my initials. Seeing as how some doood started hitting on me in another thread, I might have to retire that.

Concerning the weapons. Glocks are fine pistols, I just like the Para's better and I've never like any double-action autoloader. Too complicated.

Kevin
04-10-2004, 06:01 AM
I assumed that everyone was joking about the shooting of dogs. Lets not start getting PC on this forum.

Kevin

Climb01742
04-10-2004, 06:15 AM
me, i'm waiting for the electrian or someone like him. (man, when was the last time i thought about firesign theatre? i heard them first on a tape actually played on a reel to reel machine. yikes!)

dnovo
04-10-2004, 06:46 AM
You aren't a 'divorced, white female" after all????? And here I thought you was one mean, straight-razor carryin' woman! So much for my late-life fantasies. Geez, can't even be a card-carrying dirty old man on this group. And while I may have wanted your tongue in my cheek, if you were really an attractive and horny divorced chick trolling for rich guys on this forum (not me, I don't qualify, try Sandy) now that I see you are no doubt an over-the-hill, unshaven wheel-lice like the rest of us, keep your tongue in your own cheek. Dave N. (disappointed in Wisconsin this morning as he can't carry on his cyber-lust anymore, but excited because his 25th Ann. Spectrum just showed up from Tom's workshop and is sitting down at Brendan's waiting for me to blast down there as soon as he opens.)

saab2000
04-10-2004, 11:12 AM
DWF is the only forum participant I have personally met. I won't comment on his attractiveness (not in a position to make that judgement), but he most definitely is not a chick!!

DWF builds bikes (and other things bike related) and has some pretty interesting stories to tell. I did not realise that he was armed as well!

By the way, DWF, keep using the Divorced White Female thing, it adds greatly to the entertainment value here and the intrigue.

Ahneida Ride
04-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Keep the DWF !!!!!

This is just too good a handle to drop !!!!

When I first enter the forum, I also has a mistaken identity ( Ahneida ).

But no one hit on me !!!!!

Perhaps we can get together and become Ahneida DWF ?