PDA

View Full Version : New skewer

roadie7
12-23-2016, 03:02 PM
I recently had to replace my Mavic front wheel skewer with a new generic one and now have problems. I have trouble setting the front wheel into the skewer and have to bang the fork into the skewer. Secondly, I have trouble locking the skewer so the brake pad doesn't rub. Finally, the skewer loosens because the brake pad will rub against the wheel even though everything was fine when I started my ride.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

bart998
12-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Photos please... hard to tell without more info.

Cicli
12-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Springs in backwards?

AngryScientist
12-23-2016, 03:18 PM
some skewers do indeed open less than others. if the fork has lawyer taps, than you need to unscrew the skewer in addition to opening the camlock. even if the fork doesnt have the lawyer tabs, if the material is thick, some unscrewing may be necessary for a smooth in/out.

bottom line is that, if you didnt have problems before, and you do now, the new skewer probably has less travel from open to close than the former one.

i personally dont like mavic skewers.

get some proper dura ace or campy record skewers and be done with it.

mktng
12-23-2016, 03:21 PM

Or Salsa. Minus them being beefy. They are darn good !

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Cicli
12-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Or Salsa. Minus them being beefy. They are darn good !

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Blah :help:

External cam with a plastic bushing to boot.

Campy, Shimano or some other internal cam all the way.

Tony T
12-23-2016, 03:30 PM

⇧⇧
This

sjbraun
12-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Got these (http://www.boydcycling.com/boyd-cycling-skewers/) with my new Boyd wheels. They grip well and for $20, they're a deal.

sw3759
12-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Got these (http://www.boydcycling.com/boyd-cycling-skewers/) with my new Boyd wheels. They grip well and for $20, they're a deal.

+1
pretty nice skewers ,been using them over a year on my Moots and really like them.bonus,they play very well with breezers dropouts too!

Mikej
12-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Blah :help:

External cam with a plastic bushing to boot.

Campy, Shimano or some other internal cam all the way.

I concur.

henrypretz
12-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Those look really nice!

oldpotatoe
12-24-2016, 06:03 AM
I recently had to replace my Mavic front wheel skewer with a new generic one and now have problems. I have trouble setting the front wheel into the skewer and have to bang the fork into the skewer. Secondly, I have trouble locking the skewer so the brake pad doesn't rub. Finally, the skewer loosens because the brake pad will rub against the wheel even though everything was fine when I started my ride.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

I agree..spring(s) backwards..take 'em out and see how the QR works.

Not a fan of some VO stuff but these are nice..and not expensive. VeloOrange. Shows the spring orientation too.

Mackers
12-24-2016, 09:21 AM
-