PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Present Tailight Advice Needed

Hawker
12-23-2016, 12:48 PM
My adult son finished RAGBRAI this year and has now turned into a cyclist. That's what youth provides you...the ability to ride all of RAGBRAI and THEN decide you want to be a cyclist. :)

Anyway, he want's a tail light and I have a local choice of the Cygolite Hot Rod or a very similar Serfas Thunderbolt at 50 lumens.

Any strong opinions either way? Thanks and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukah!

JAGI410
12-23-2016, 12:56 PM
The Hot rod is pretty nice, and very bright. USB charging is great too.

ColonelJLloyd
12-23-2016, 01:30 PM
For a battery tail light, I've been happy with my Cygolite.

mjalder2
12-23-2016, 01:36 PM
A friend of mine really liked his Cygolight on the back. Until it came off at some point and was lost for good. I really liked it's random/pulsating blinking. Definitely a lot different than a normal blinking light on the back.

Stevemikesteve
12-23-2016, 01:49 PM
I have a Cygolite rear, not sure exactly which model but very happy with it. Probably going on about 5 or 6 years and no issues.

Bwana
12-23-2016, 01:53 PM
My adult son finished RAGBRAI this year and has now turned into a cyclist. That's what youth provides you...the ability to ride all of RAGBRAI and THEN decide you want to be a cyclist. :)

Anyway, he want's a tail light and I have a local choice of the Cygolite Hot Rod or a very similar Serfas Thunderbolt at 50 lumens.

Any strong opinions either way? Thanks and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukah!

Don't have any tail light advice, but good for him for doing RAGBRAI with no real cycling experience! I did it with my dad and brother (and some friends) this year, super fun. My brother and his friend RAN 50 miles total during the week AFTER doing each stage. Crazy kids...

thirdgenbird
12-23-2016, 01:54 PM
+1 for the hot shot. I've got it and a small cygolite headlight on the bottom of my garmin mount. It's a great package for the price and size. The headlight, taillight, and garmin 500 all charge from mini-usb. Keeps things simple.

Hawker
12-23-2016, 03:23 PM
OK, got the Hot Shot. Thanks all for your advice! I trust this will keep him safe for many years and miles to come. And my wife too, bought her one. :)

jasonification
12-23-2016, 05:29 PM
I know I'm late to the party but +1 for the hot shot