PDA

View Full Version : Building Ultegra 6800 question

kgreene10
12-22-2016, 11:50 PM
I plan to replace bolt on a new 6800 group over the next couple of days. It's for my coupler travel bike and so the polymer cables would be wasted and would quickly lose their coating. I figured I would save the cables for the DA 9000 on my race bike. But what about the housing. Does 6800 need its own native housing or can I do just fine with the excess Jagwire that I have lying around and save the 6800 housing, again, for the race bike? Thanks for your advice.

Cicli
12-23-2016, 02:52 AM
Any Shimano road cable and housing will work fine. The coated cables just work that much smoother.

mktng
12-23-2016, 05:43 AM
With the amount of fuzz and gunk those coated cables collect. How much smoother can it really be in the long run. I've been running standard shimano cables from my lbs. Can't say I feel a loss in smoothness. Definitely see the difference in bike fund dollars though ;)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ohdoom
12-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Eh. They might give a slight edge to the lever feel if you're really sensitive to those inputs. But dura ace and ultegra are so smooth regardless at this point that the advantage is negligible. The cables coating does fray and when they do, the argument could be made that they post a bigger burden than regular old cables. But I get it, and am running the coated cables because that's what came with my groups, why not run the coated stuff if it's slightly smoother? I don't run shimano housings for the cables and everything is working smooth like butter. But when I need new cables, I'll just get standard cables.