PDA

View Full Version : Racing tubular recommendations

kgreene10
12-22-2016, 11:47 PM
I have been racing with the trusty Vittoria Corsa Evo CX III 25mm, but that is discontinued in favor of the graphene infused G+. Does anyone have experience with the G+ and which one would you recommend? The names are very similar across the range. Or would you recommend another tire? I used to get the CX IIIs for just $43 and so would hope not to go too much higher but I'm not willing to pay with a big weight penalty either -- they are for racing after all.

lhuerta
12-23-2016, 12:18 AM
Dont give up on you trusty Cross just yet....you could still find the Vittoria Corsa Evo CX III AND its more durable cousin, the Vittoria Pave at many UK and euro sites for about $40 (most are on closeout because of the G+ intro). I just ordered 10 Vitt Paves from bike-discount.de for $37 each (BlackFriday Special). They still have the Corsas too ( https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vittoria-corsa-cx-23x622-85125 )

kgreene10
12-23-2016, 12:55 AM
Dont give up on you trusty Cross just yet....you could still find the Vittoria Corsa Evo CX III AND its more durable cousin, the Vittoria Pave at many UK and euro sites for about $40 (most are on closeout because of the G+ intro). I just ordered 10 Vitt Paves from bike-discount.de for $37 each (BlackFriday Special). They still have the Corsas too ( https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vittoria-corsa-cx-23x622-85125 )

Thanks. Only 23s available at this point and I'm on wide rims that recommend 25s, plus I like the surefooted feel of the 25s.

lhuerta
12-23-2016, 01:52 AM
Have u tried the Paves? (in stock) They only weigh about 15-20 grams more then the Corsa CX in 25c. More durable, better wet traction and only slightly less supple.

ultraman6970
12-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Racing? if you are sponsoring yourself to be honest just get what you can pay, about 23 vs 25 vs 28 vs whatever wide tire magazines tells you is the fastest is pretty much irrelevant, why irrelevant? no matter the tubular you get or the bike you get sure at some point or another you will be suffering, the nature of racing... besides if you are not lucky you can puncture a 500 bucks tubular or a 10 bucks a tubular in less than 5 minutes of racing, leaving that gap in pricing and performance off the question really quick...

Good luck at the races :)

EDS
12-23-2016, 08:41 AM
I have been racing with the trusty Vittoria Corsa Evo CX III 25mm, but that is discontinued in favor of the graphene infused G+. Does anyone have experience with the G+ and which one would you recommend? The names are very similar across the range. Or would you recommend another tire? I used to get the CX IIIs for just $43 and so would hope not to go too much higher but I'm not willing to pay with a big weight penalty either -- they are for racing after all.

I use the Schwalbe One tubulars. I get the 700x26. Easy enough to mount up nice and straight. I like the grip, consistency and durability.

wasfast
12-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Racing what exactly? What road surface/condition (assuming on road)?

Crr table from Al Morrison:
http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

Tom A has another list that is somewhat more current:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C37Wq7d6d1Chig_ClcbsWuG8ugTxKLEmvAajTD9tcU0/edit#gid=1224624714

Fast (usually lighter) VS flat resistance is a personal tradeoff......

ltwtsculler91
12-23-2016, 10:59 AM
I spent the entire summer on Corsa G+ and found them to be a fantastic tire coming from GP4000Sii's. Roll even better, and have fantastic grip in nearly all conditions (plus who doesn't love gumwalls?)

Most of the guys I ride with switched over as well with nary a complaint. Definitely hold up better long term than the older Vittorias too from what I've been told.

I'd give the Corsa G+ a go, or Corsa Speed G+, depending on how concerned you are with flats. The key difference between them is that the Speed removes some of the under tread kevlar puncture protection

kgreene10
12-23-2016, 07:06 PM
I spent the entire summer on Corsa G+ and found them to be a fantastic tire coming from GP4000Sii's. Roll even better, and have fantastic grip in nearly all conditions (plus who doesn't love gumwalls?)

Most of the guys I ride with switched over as well with nary a complaint. Definitely hold up better long term than the older Vittorias too from what I've been told.

I'd give the Corsa G+ a go, or Corsa Speed G+, depending on how concerned you are with flats. The key difference between them is that the Speed removes some of the under tread kevlar puncture protection

Thanks. This is helpful. I also read a few crr studies today (perhaps all by the same person) showing that the newer Zipp Tangente is mighty fast. Any recent experiences out there?

CiclistiCliff
12-24-2016, 02:58 AM
New Vittorias and Big S Turbo cottons

rockdude
12-25-2016, 08:30 AM
The Newer Zipps have a low Crr and good flat protection. Have ridden them to dozen of wins.