PDA

View Full Version : new brake tracks on carbon rims

vqdriver
12-22-2016, 02:48 PM
now that we simply take it for granted the new wheels will have 23+ wide rims, it seems adding some texture the the brake tracks is the new thing. any input/comparisons between the different companies' approaches to this?
just off the top of my head i can think of mavic exalith, campy/fulcrum 3diamant, enve dimples, reynolds wavey things, etc...
some requiring specific pads.

i don't expect anyone would have tried all of them. but if you've got a set of any of them, i'd be interested to hear how it compares against traditional aluminum brake tracks and against smooth carbon tracks if you've had them.

gospastic
12-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Zipp's NSW dry weather braking is significantly better than the Firecrest, wet weather is still nothing to write home about.

kcandthe_
12-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Exalith is pretty sweet. I had a set of Cosmic 40's for a while. As a 200lb rider, I didn't notice much of a decrease in performance over alloy but never rode them in wet weather or on any crazy descents.

NSW takes the cake.

adrien
12-22-2016, 10:14 PM
New Enve textured is fantastic. Relies more on clamping force than friction, which means it relies on a stiff brake arm.

In the dry easily on par with Alu, likely with more overall stopping force. In the wet it's very good, about the same as alu.

Exponentially better than bare carbon was. About the same as aluminum rims, but different. Feel is much more immediate and less progressive.