PDA

View Full Version : to: toyotas are yummy

Mr. Squirrel
12-22-2016, 08:24 AM
i am going to open a chain of gormandization establishments catering to the sciurus linnaeus crowd. if you are an owner of a late model toyota, please post your location for consideration. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

TOYOTA SOY-BASED WIRING LAWSUIT SAYS RODENTS CHEW WIRING
Toyota owner claims soy-based wiring invites animals to have breakfast, lunch & dinner.

December 18, 2016 — A Toyota soy-based wiring lawsuit alleges mice, rats, squirrels and other rodents chew on the soy-based wiring like it's a delicacy, leaving drivers wondering why their vehicles are suffering from all kinds of problems.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/toyota-soy-based-wiring-lawsuit-rodents-chew-wiring.shtml

chiasticon
12-22-2016, 10:44 AM
this is real. wife has had similar issues with her 2011 Prius. caught about half a dozen mice in it, pulled a nest out from the engine, etc...

one time at the dealer a tech told her they once opened the hood to a vehicle and found a whole family of mice in it. said he never saw so many grown men scream and run so fast in his life. so they know the problem exists.

soulspinner
12-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Got into my dads stored Porsche one winter.... they liked wires to the tune of 900 dollars.....

William
12-23-2016, 06:50 AM
i am going to open a chain of gormandization establishments catering to the sciurus linnaeus crowd. if you are an owner of a late model toyota, please post your location for consideration. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

Hey rodent....

https://media.giphy.com/media/3YNaQqbBw3YJy/giphy.gif

:p

William

unterhausen
12-23-2016, 07:02 AM
I never had any chewed wires, but I had a Ford that apparently had a really great place to build a nest under the intake. Car had a really elaborate intake. One time I cleaned out a garbage bag worth of nest from underneath it. It was my daily driver and engines get really hot nowadays, I'm not sure how they had enough time to get that much stuff in there between drives.

sailorboy
12-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Seriously, this is a thing.

This is one of the reasons I finally sold my 2010 highlander. I removed not one, not two, but THREE nests from the engine bay and had to remove several wires that had been chewed through. I was getting terrible mileage for a while which I attributed to some faults with the sensors and fuel management system. I wonder if they had done damage that I never found.

Driving down the road and having a fire start one time as the nest was contacting the battery terminals was also a fun day.

I guess they don't have a lot of squirrels in the Kanto plain, Japan for proper beta testing.

VTCaraco
12-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Good friend of my wife's noticed mouse dropping in the interior of her Outback.
Saw a mouse when driving a few days later. Pulled over and had her husband come and swap vehicles with her and make an effort to rid the vehicle of any unwanted passengers. A week later and it was running poorly. Next day it wouldn't start at all. Car was "infested" with mice with a number of wires destroyed.
They rendered it a total loss and picked up a different vehicle.

I have a hard time imagining it coming to this point as a daily-driver, but the family is practical, handy and intelligent in a way that makes me see it as very viable.

All I can conclude is, 'be safe out there'

wallymann
12-23-2016, 11:24 AM
...this!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/10/01-2011-lexus-lfa-review.jpg

William
12-23-2016, 11:36 AM
The mechanic who rebuilt our tractor motor claims that the rodents are also attracted by the ethanol mixed in the gasoline. A sweet smell they seem to like to get up close and personal with.

William

froze
12-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Hey rodent....

https://media.giphy.com/media/3YNaQqbBw3YJy/giphy.gif

:p

William

If I was standing there with a gun I could shoot him faster than he could get that shotgun readied, he would be dead at the point of the gun entering his hands.