PDA

View Full Version : Any Paceliners doing the Rapha Festive 500?

ojingoh
12-21-2016, 06:46 PM
I did it last year, it was down to the wire for me but I completed it. Huge feeling of accomplishment.

Anyone doing it this year?

charliedid
12-21-2016, 10:35 PM
maybe

that's all I got

mavic1010
12-21-2016, 11:46 PM
I'm doing it with our cycling club. A few guys getting together to pound out the miles.

gospastic
12-21-2016, 11:49 PM
I will try

jtakeda
12-21-2016, 11:59 PM
I've never heard of it.

I don't have strava or a computer so y'all will just have to believe me if I say I completed but

1. I live in California
2. My company is closed between 12/23-1/3
3. My girlfriend is out of town.
4. I don't have kids and our dog went over the rainbow bridge in September.

You better believe I can do 350 miles or whatever it is in that time but it's nice to have a goal.

jlwdm
12-22-2016, 12:14 AM
I bought the jersey so I feel somewhat obligated to do it. The complication is if I go to Seattle for Christmas.

Jeff

CNY rider
12-22-2016, 05:24 AM
Based on how my pants fit this morning I'd guess I'm right on track to weigh 500 pounds by New Years.
What do I win?

oldpotatoe
12-22-2016, 05:26 AM
Based on how my pants fit this morning I'd guess I'm right on track to weigh 500 pounds by New Years.
What do I win?

POTD, I hear ya brother..only thing I'm doing consistently is 12 ounce(and some 24.5 ounce) curls. :help:

Tickdoc
12-22-2016, 06:00 AM
I'd be lucky to complete the un-festive 50 at this time and point.

Been too busy and cold and/or dark to ride lately, so I've had to ride indoors which I find about as much fun as mall shopping.:help:

Cold snap has finally broken but rain forecast for the weekend doesn't make outdoor riding look much more inviting for the coming break. I may have to go all PNW and just ride in the rain.

Please take some pictures for us if you do go and ride like the wind.

belopsky
12-22-2016, 06:28 AM
i dunno, sounds pretty boring to pound that out in my basement but maybe

stien
12-22-2016, 06:30 AM
That's the plan. The wife is pushing for it! Fingers crossed for goodish weather.

chiasticon
12-22-2016, 06:39 AM
i dunno, sounds pretty boring to pound that out in my basement but maybenot sure if joking or not but just so you know, trainer miles don't count for the challenge.

I've done it the last five years, so yeah I plan on completing it this year too. here, it's mainly the weather that defines how tough it is. last year and the first year were a cake walk. the other three were pretty tough. this year looks to be decent weather, but a good bit of precipitation. should be fun! :hello:

merckx
12-22-2016, 06:55 AM
I'm in, but the k's will be on my Nordic skis. It's winter for chriss'sake.

spoonrobot
12-22-2016, 07:40 AM
I did it last year but my final ride of 18km to put me over the line hung on uploading and never completed. As a matter of fact it's still sitting there at the top of my feed on my phone attempting to upload. I was pretty burned up at the time as a lot of the rides were in cold, rainy weather and having a technical issue prevent finishing, even someting as silly as a strava challenge was pretty annoying.

So I'm probably not going to attempt this year. I'm more into riding the mtb trails this year, probably no way I could do 500km on singletrack and stay sane anyway.

R3awak3n
12-22-2016, 08:00 AM
I wanted too but its not looking good. Snow on the ground and just dont have the time to either be out there all day for a couple days or there everyday for a bit. Maybe next year, I like the concept

AngryScientist
12-22-2016, 08:04 AM
i completed it the first two years it was in existence.

these days i'd rather hit the nice warm gym for an hour or so during the holidays and enjoy some good food, booze and family time.

fiamme red
12-22-2016, 08:17 AM
No. I'm not interested in meeting an arbitrary, meaningless challenge created by people at a company that doesn't pay me.

Besides, I've been riding since April with no odometer on my bike, let alone a GPS.

Tickdoc
12-22-2016, 09:12 AM
No. I'm not interested in meeting an arbitrary, meaningless challenge created by people at a company that doesn't pay me.

Besides, I've been riding since April with no odometer on my bike, let alone a GPS.

I like your freewheeling style!

A book for you:

http://prodimage.images-bn.com/pimages/9780062457714_p0_v4_s192x300.jpg

m_moses
12-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Will be the first time for me. I have the time and the will and I live in Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ANAO
12-22-2016, 10:35 AM
I wanted too but its not looking good. Snow on the ground and just dont have the time to either be out there all day for a couple days or there everyday for a bit. Maybe next year, I like the concept

2+hrs Zwift Sunday (70km goal)
80KM Monday
60km Commute Tuesday
2hrs Zwift Wednesday (60kmish?)
1.5hrs Zwift Thursday, faster (55kmish?)
100km Commute+ Friday

Has me about 85km short.

Likely not going to make it.

makoti
12-22-2016, 06:09 PM
2+hrs Zwift Sunday (70km goal)
80KM Monday
60km Commute Tuesday
2hrs Zwift Wednesday (60kmish?)
1.5hrs Zwift Thursday, faster (55kmish?)
100km Commute+ Friday

Has me about 85km short.

Likely not going to make it.

Zwift counts but trainer miles don't? How is that possible? That's the thinnest of hairs, I think

ANAO
12-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Zwift counts but trainer miles don't? How is that possible? That's the thinnest of hairs, I think
Yes. Very weird. Doesn't matter to me as I won't be completing it.

makoti
12-22-2016, 06:14 PM

There has got to be a Rapha/Zwift connection

Jgrooms
12-23-2016, 01:23 AM

Great marketing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgrooms
12-23-2016, 01:27 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/f99494ce8f01fb0d26d210aa7f225833.png

Perfect!

rwerkudara
12-23-2016, 06:45 AM

Is this mentioned anywhere? May have a shot, although would be a very boring attempt.

ANAO
12-23-2016, 08:06 AM
Is this mentioned anywhere? May have a shot, although would be a very boring attempt.
I have email communication that my friend made with RAPHA. I can fwd if you need.

RonW87
12-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Yup, I'm in. Sorta cheating though, cuz I'm leaving the snowy 6ix and heading to Florida tomorrow.

mavic1010
12-24-2016, 03:46 PM
My friend did a zwift ride this morning. His miles didn't count towards Rapha 500. Also it states that trainer rides do not count.

kramnnim
12-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Did the challenge start yet? Thought it was tomorrow. But I haven't paid attention.

rallizes
12-24-2016, 04:37 PM

what exactly makes it meaningless?

R3awak3n
12-24-2016, 05:13 PM
I have email communication that my friend made with RAPHA. I can fwd if you need.

interesting. It must be because zwift island actually exists, and of course the London and Richmond courses are also accurate. When you upload a zwift file you actually getting a real file uploaded from a gps location and not a trainer.

I doubt it has to do with zwift/rapha connection but with the fact that they do not know its a trainner file (since the file is exactly the same as a file done with a gps).

I still won't make it :)

@krammin - Its started, there are a bunch of people that already finished 500km lol. I have done nothing but eat crap all day. 500k, more like 500k calories

fiamme red
12-24-2016, 05:32 PM
what exactly makes it meaningless?I also think Strava is meaningless, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

I just looked at the Rapha site and learned that you can get a badge if you complete the challenge. So I guess it's not totally meaningless. ;)

rwerkudara
12-24-2016, 05:39 PM
My friend did a zwift ride this morning. His miles didn't count towards Rapha 500. Also it states that trainer rides do not count.

Same here. Still got a good workout in, but didn't make a dent towards the 500.

kramnnim
12-24-2016, 08:30 PM
So Zwift doesn't count towards the Strava side of things, but can you submit your rides to Rapha without Strava?

kramnnim
12-24-2016, 08:34 PM
All they ask for is a link to photo/digital evidence. I bet they don't even look at the link you submit. Lol.

Jgrooms
12-24-2016, 09:33 PM
It's rolling:

https://www.strava.com/activities/810713439/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1482636260

Neil
12-25-2016, 09:18 AM
A mighty 76.4km done so far.

tiretrax
12-25-2016, 09:48 AM
I have done nothing but eat crap all day. 500k, more like 500k calories

I've got the same issue! Last night, I made acorn squash soup, leg of lamb en croute with roasted vegetables, with ice cream, berries and a waffle cookie and part of a slice of brownie. Sparkling wine and red wine from the Rhone Valley. It must have been a bazillion calories.

I need and want to get on the bike. However, nothing but rain forecast for Dallas, although the temperature will be in the 60's and 70's all week. I've done it most years, and hopefully, I will complete it again.

montag
12-25-2016, 11:02 AM
I've got the same issue! Last night, I made acorn squash soup, leg of lamb en croute with roasted vegetables, with ice cream, berries and a waffle cookie and part of a slice of brownie. Sparkling wine and red wine from the Rhone Valley. It must have been a bazillion calories.

I need and want to get on the bike. However, nothing but rain forecast for Dallas, although the temperature will be in the 60's and 70's all week. I've done it most years, and hopefully, I will complete it again.

I'm in Dallas for the holidays and snuck in some gross wet miles yesterday. Think I'll stick to the holiday snack plan indoors with the family today.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/773/31720883132_26fb3e9109_z.jpg

R3awak3n
12-25-2016, 01:25 PM

Im back at eating again but bout to jump on zwift for an hour and half.

I got roped into doing the specialized challenge. 31 miles and entered to win a something something specialized so now I can eat some more! Zwift is freaking awesome. That said I could have totally gone outside today and did not due to sheer lazyness.

jlwdm
12-25-2016, 02:27 PM
I'm in Dallas for the holidays and snuck in some gross wet miles yesterday. Think I'll stick to the holiday snack plan indoors with the family today.

I went out in the early afternoon yesterday for a nice 30 mile ride and did not even see a threat of rain.

Jeff

livingminimal
12-27-2016, 08:16 AM

For some of us who suffer from depression, symptoms of which can be exacerbated during this time of year, that there is an organized challenge to push yourself with the pre-text of getting off the couch and giving a gift to your legs, is pretty awesome and helpful to staving off the "blahs."

Similarly some of us who struggle with calorie-control and this time of year tends to have some eating that is, let's say, regretful, this is a good way for us to justify that much more cheer with our friends and family.

But congratulations for shunning it all and being a purist. It's really awesome.

Meanwhile, I am 211km in, will get past the halfway point on pace. Just hoping the rain later in the week isn't too hard. I bought the cap and socks but won't wear them unless I complete it, for my first time, after many failed attempts. My wife and kids know how important it is for me to ride to keep my moods straight this time of year, so they're fully supportive and helping me manage a busy schedule, including 40km on Christmas morning. Thanks team.

Thanks Rapha and Strava for having a fun, unique, and to some of us very meaningful event.

jlwdm
12-27-2016, 09:21 AM
I am doing a modified Rapha Festive 500. I did not sign up with Rapha and I am counting trainer miles. The weather here has been warmer than normal so I am mostly riding outdoors though.

After 3 days I am 19 miles behind schedule - averaging about 33 miles per day instead of the necessary 39 miles.

My work partner is having a baby this week, but still this should be a slow enough work week for me to have time to put in the miles.

I really like the Rapha Festive 500 long sleeve jersey, but it was too warm to wear it again yesterday.

Jeff

benb
12-27-2016, 10:03 AM
I did a few group rides last year during the 500 without really signing up on Strava.. this particular Strava event seems tailor made for cyclists with nothing to do on the holidays and no one to visit with?

Doing the whole thing would have probably ticked off my wife, parents, brothers and sisters, etc.. to no end as I can't see how I would have made it to any family get togethers, etc.. in order to do that much riding.

The other thing is I trashed a lot of bike parts.. this is not exactly a great time of year to be doing heavy miles here unless you're a masochist in terms of doing bike maintenance and fine eating $$ for parts. I have a bad weather bike, but participating in this last year pretty much guaranteed I had to do a massive overhaul of the bike, almost everything on it took a heavy beating from road salt.

I did way too much winter riding last winter in general.. I'm perfectly happy this winter to do some minimal trainer time and lots of time lifting weights. 6 weeks into the weight training this winter I feel like a new person, I feel 10 years younger then I felt mid season.

fiamme red
12-27-2016, 10:29 AM
For some of us who suffer from depression, symptoms of which can be exacerbated during this time of year, that there is an organized challenge to push yourself with the pre-text of getting off the couch and giving a gift to your legs, is pretty awesome and helpful to staving off the "blahs."

Similarly some of us who struggle with calorie-control and this time of year tends to have some eating that is, let's say, regretful, this is a good way for us to justify that much more cheer with our friends and family.

But congratulations for shunning it all and being a purist. It's really awesome.

Meanwhile, I am 211km in, will get past the halfway point on pace. Just hoping the rain later in the week isn't too hard. I bought the cap and socks but won't wear them unless I complete it, for my first time, after many failed attempts. My wife and kids know how important it is for me to ride to keep my moods straight this time of year, so they're fully supportive and helping me manage a busy schedule, including 40km on Christmas morning. Thanks team.

Thanks Rapha and Strava for having a fun, unique, and to some of us very meaningful event.So if you don't continue riding big distances in January, do you succumb to depression and weight gain?

No need for me to grind out big miles now. I'm not a professional racer who needs to get ready for races in February. So at this time of the year, I'm only riding for fun and transportation.

livingminimal
12-27-2016, 01:26 PM
So if you don't continue riding big distances in January, do you succumb to depression and weight gain?

If I don't continue to ride 20-25 miles per day, yes, its quite possible, and often F500 is the catalyst to continuing this through the winter. I would like to be in decent shape as some gravel races approach and the time changes back to being more favorable.

No need for me to grind out big miles now. I'm not a professional racer who needs to get ready for races in February. So at this time of the year, I'm only riding for fun and transportation.

Your original post made it sound like you were against this because no one was paying you to do it, or its some cooked up marketing scheme. Both may be true, but that doesn't make it any less fun/relevant/important for the 1,000s that are actively participating, happily using our Garmins and Strava in the process.

gospastic
12-27-2016, 01:49 PM
There is quite a nice prize if you finish and write a good story about it. Depends how much a free Moots means to you.

I'm at 345km today, I think I can finish it by Saturday. The weather here in Chicago hasn't been the the worst.

R3awak3n
12-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Why are people so ticked off about this? Its like let the people that want to do it do it and if you have nothing nice to say stay out of here? Maybe some people need the motivation of a challenge to get the miles. Its winter whatever it take to get outside and get some good exercise in

AngryScientist
12-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Why are people so ticked off about this? Its like let the people that want to do it do it and if you have nothing nice to say stay out of here? Maybe some people need the motivation of a challenge to get the miles. Its winter whatever it take to get outside and get some good exercise in

agree!

people can say whatever they like about rapha, but IMO, they have done a lot for the sport of cycling, from grassroots racing to the more casual non-racing crowd. i'm a fan of the company and what they do.

jlwdm
12-27-2016, 04:28 PM
I am doing it for fun. I went shopping in Dallas today and haven't ridden yet, but I am excited to head out soon with my lights on for a long ride.

Jeff

ojingoh
12-29-2016, 04:05 PM
First day into the challenge, hit by a car. I'm fine, Marcelo is fine, met some nice folks from California :rolleyes:
In astronomy there's the curse of new equipment - there will be a cloudy night on the day you get a new piece of gear. For xmas I bought myself some insulated bib shorts, first ride bam on the deck. The curse continues!

spiderwj
01-08-2017, 11:56 PM
Finished! First completion in a few years of attempting. Holidays and vacation played out this year. Also, living in Texas can be helpful on the weather front. Two wet rides but nothing drastic. Just good fun.

Jgrooms
01-09-2017, 06:38 AM
Piece of cake!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/8f1c59d3cac7e9f9d114bf4d39e81b0e.png