PDA

View Full Version : OT clay target shooting...

AngryScientist
12-20-2016, 08:48 AM
I havent been in years.

Need to go buy some shotgun shells this afternoon.

talk to me - what should i be buying. i have literally never purchased shotgun shells myself in my adult life.

12 gauge over/under gun and a 20 gauge side/side

echelon_john
12-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Best bet is Dick's Sporting Goods or Walmart (Caveat: I hate both of these chains); both sell bricks of shells for very reasonable $. Just look for "Target Loads"; typically these will be ~#8 shot.

I'm shooting Sporting Clays this Friday if the weather holds up...mini-golf with guns! : )

Tickdoc
12-20-2016, 09:04 AM
I havent been in years.

Need to go buy some shotgun shells this afternoon.

talk to me - what should i be buying. i have literally never purchased shotgun shells myself in my adult life.

12 gauge over/under gun and a 20 gauge side/side

Shouldn't matter much. those two types of guns will shoot the lowest cheapest field loads without any problems.

There are clay specific loads but in my experience, they are a waste of money unless you need high brass loads to cycle a semi-automatic, which you don't.

I'm jealous. I love to shoot but haven't been in a while.

Have fun and don't forget to cover your eyes and ears.

Pull!

ColonelJLloyd
12-20-2016, 09:09 AM
I don't think I've shot skeet since I was 17. Quarter bag, case of cheap beer and foam ear plugs. Being young and dumb is a lot of fun if you survive.

Have fun, Nick!

JasonF
12-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Since you're in NJ sometimes easier said than done.

First, Dicks may ask for your NJ Firearms ID. I've been sold shells before without having to procure it, and sometimes not. They'll ask for the ID every time I purchase 9mm bullets.

Second, check with the range or preserve where you'll be shooting - lead may be prohibited and you'll have to go with steel shot. Dicks steel inventory is hit or miss (pun intended).

Third, if you're going to a range like M&M they have shells and it's easier to get it through the range.

Finally, if you're heading through Princeton I'd be happy to give you a few boxes. I have steel shot.

Best, Jason

AngryScientist
12-20-2016, 09:13 AM
I don't think I've shot skeet since I was 17. Quarter bag, case of cheap beer and foam ear plugs. Being young and dumb is a lot of fun if you survive.

Have fun, Nick!

ha, that's pretty much the plan here. we've even got the latest high tech thrower ready for use:

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/817/817644.jpg

AngryScientist
12-20-2016, 09:14 AM

First, Dicks may ask for your NJ Firearms ID. It's hit or miss. I've been sold shells before without having to procure it, and sometimes not. They'll ask for the ID every time I purchase 9mm bullets.

Second, check with the range or preserve where you'll be shooting - lead may be prohibited and you'll have to go with steel shot. Dicks steel inventory is hit or miss (pun intended).

Third, if you're going to a range like M&M they have shells and it's easier to get it through the range.

Finally, if you're heading through Princeton I'd be happy to give you a few boxes. I have steel shot.

Best, Jason

thanks Jason, i had a feeling NJ would complicate things slightly. I did get an FID card on a whim years ago, so i'm covered there - i dont think it expires, does it?

parris
12-20-2016, 09:22 AM
If you're shooting Skeet just about anything from #7 1/2 through #9 shot size will work fine, Trap #7 1/2 or #8, 5 Stand #8, Sporting Clays #7 1/2 will cover any presentation that you may run up against.

Any of the inexpensive promo/field loads will do okay. They won't be as good as premium target loads but premium target loads are expensive these days. The promo load typically have more felt recoil than premium target loads due to the speed and weight of the load in the promo shells.

Be aware that the 20 ga SxS could have more felt recoil vs your O/U due to gun weight and bore axis.

Just curious what gun models are you going to be using?

fuzzalow
12-20-2016, 09:25 AM

First, Dicks may ask for your NJ Firearms ID. It's hit or miss. I've been sold shells before without having to procure it, and sometimes not. They'll ask for the ID every time I purchase 9mm bullets.

In the Tri-State (NY-NJ-CT) metro area, everything's illegal. :D

Long guns are purchasable with State-ID so the ammunition is probably available with nothing more than State-ID, if even that. Pistols, and consequently pistol ammunition, is certainly handgun license-only.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HjWsti1IOoU/VOgHkVDpOZI/AAAAAAAAAyk/RgFu4DI4TTgO7vwWkbJ3QJv0Yhdky9YYgCHM/s1024-no/DSC00906.JPG

Shooting clays is great fun. I'd always wanted to buy a sporting rifle just for the craft and the tradition of what goes into building one.

FlashUNC
12-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Man shooting clay pigeons is fun.

parris
12-20-2016, 09:36 AM
^ AGREED!
:beer:

GScot
12-20-2016, 09:51 AM
I'll be ammo snob and say buy Double As, Winchester AA. #6 to #9 and extra light to super handicap (more velocity/recoil). The cheap ammo uses a shot sleeve instead of a cup which causes several problems. First it tends to dirty up your gun faster and leaves more obnoxious residue. Second is the sleeve tends to curl in on the shot column as it leaves the barrel resulting in a wedge of reduced density in the shot pattern, worst case the pattern is like a pie with a big slice missing.

I use AAs for hunting dove, quail, and rabbit. I've even used super handicaps for pheasant in the right conditions although #4 or #6 premium field loads are usually better.

It doesn't have to be Winchester, pretty much all brands have an improved line of target ammo.

SpokeValley
12-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Man shooting clay pigeons is fun.

Definitely agreed! I like to shoot, rifle, handgun, shotgun...all fun. :hello:

I'm headed out to the indoor range with one of my cycling buddies today.

tiretrax
12-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Have fun. I need to get out and shoot some this coming year. There's a public range nearby with a great skeet range and a decent sporting clays range. The hand held thrower is fun for running targets. I had my own place for a while and miss shooting dove and quail.

Bruce K
12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
I like the Winchester Featherlite AA loads

Low Recoil (better target acquisition) and low noise.

I use the 2 3/4" low velocity (950 fps) for my cowboy action shooting (2 single action revolvers, lever rifle, double barrel coach gun) but the make higher velocity (1130 & 1280 ?) for clays.

BK

572cv
12-20-2016, 02:06 PM
I've had a lot of fun shooting skeet. I suppose you could say, it's a blast. :p

This was the most amazing skeet site, back up above Nice in southern France. The framework gets a sunshade in season, and the launchers are behind the stone wall. The view is highly distracting.....and the ride up to it was wonderful.

parris
12-20-2016, 08:39 PM
572 very cool location. The layout of the field almost looks like an olympic bunker setup.

I'm VERY lucky where I live as far as having access to the clay target games. I live within 20 minutes of 3 different clubs that throw fantastic targets. Binghamton Gun Club has American Skeet, American Trap, Olympic Skeet, Olympic Trap, 5 stand, and Sporting Clays course. Rock Mountain has 5 Stand and Sporting Clays. Hausman's Hidden Hollow has 5 stand and Sporting Clays. Binghamton and Rock Mountain throw tournament level targets. Hausman's throws more of a hunter's level target. All 3 places are easy to get to as well.

If I ever hit the lotto I'll sell my reloading gear and lay in a stock of Federal paper's and RST shells in a multitude of loads. Till that day happens I'll continue to look for deals on shot, powder, and primers! :D

adamhell
12-20-2016, 08:40 PM
support your LGS

alancw3
12-21-2016, 03:51 AM
just last w/e went to local walmart and restocked shells. winchester super targets #8 in both 20 gauge and 12 gauge for $5.48 a box. can't beat their price. i can't even find online by the case for as inexpensive.

Hilltopperny
12-21-2016, 04:03 AM
As much as I hate to say it Walmart probably has the best deal on shells. As stated above you don't need anything expensive to shoot skeet. I'd buy an over under shotgun, but that is just a preference of mine. Shooting clay pigeons is always good fun:beer:

witcombusa
12-24-2016, 06:55 AM
So Angry, how was the shooting?

Love the shotgun, great tools. My favorites are from the '20's, just into the 40's, from the US gun makers. This Remington model 31 from 1932 is probably my #1 and then the Winchester Model 12 from 1942 filling the number two slot. Both have the Cutts Compensator with various screw on fixed choke tubes or also an adjustable choke as well.

The Connecticut River Valley was the standard of the firearms world at that time. :beer:

parris
12-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Whitcomb I'm right there with you era wise. I've been fortunate enough to shoot and collect several classic shotguns. I shoot my 16 gauge prewar model 12 and 12 gauge model 21 Duck as good as anything. The 21 I shoot better than the various K and P guns I've handled over the years.

I just saw your photo. What year/model is the model 12? About the only thing I can tell is that it's a prewar vintage gun.

witcombusa
05-13-2017, 07:37 AM
For you 'classic' firearms guys out there, how many can you name?

William
05-13-2017, 08:28 AM
I haven't shot clay in years, but the Mrs and I have been at the range quite a bit recently... :)

William
(Photos from my instagram account)

parris
05-13-2017, 08:40 AM
My best guess on the photo would be from right to left. Remington 31, Winchester 12, Savage 99, some kind of sporterized military rifle due to the clip guide, Sporterized Springfield, Commercial Mauser, and can't tell the rest from the photo.

The rifle next to the Savage has me scratching my head.

Maybe the last rifle is a Winchester 54. Or possibly an early 70 but both of those are just guesses.

Bruce K
05-13-2017, 11:24 AM
My "thing" is SASS sanctioned Cowboy Action Shooting and vintage style firearms.

Colt SA replicas, 1858 New Armys, 1873 lever rifle, 1866 Yellowboy, Marlin 1894, coach gun, 1873 lever shotgun, 1887 pump shotgun, 1885 High Wall with double-set triggers in .45-70 fitted with Soule-style vernier rear and Lyman globe front sights for long distance.

"Should been a cowboy...."

BK

witcombusa
05-13-2017, 11:28 AM
My best guess on the photo would be from right to left. Remington 31, Winchester 12, Savage 99, some kind of sporterized military rifle due to the clip guide, Sporterized Springfield, Commercial Mauser, and can't tell the rest from the photo.

The rifle next to the Savage has me scratching my head.

Maybe the last rifle is a Winchester 54. Or possibly an early 70 but both of those are just guesses.

Nicely played!
L to R, M54 Winchester 270, 30S Express Remington '06, 1903 Springfield built by Remington Sporter '06, M1920-1926 Savage 250 Savage, 99 Savage 300 Savage, M12 Winchester 12ga, 31 Remington 12ga.

ripvanrando
05-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Cabelas often has free or $5 shipping. I usually shoot AA Winchester but also use Remington Club for a training tire so to speak. Estate makes a mess and I avoid like the plaque. I buy cases at a time. There just are not many places to get shells in NJ. Powder for a Muzzleloader is impossible to find here.

Check out lehigh valley sporting clays out past Bethlehem.....lots of fun.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/remington-gun-club-target-shotshells/740037.uts

ripvanrando
05-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Local redneck kid I coached.

alancw3
05-13-2017, 02:47 PM
i usually buy cases of winchester aa from hinterland outfitters at great price point. same day shipping and usually have most varieties in stock:

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/logoff.php

for a more frugal shell you can't beat winchester super target at local walmart.

parris
05-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks :) The Remington next to the Winchester threw me a bit. I should've looked closer at the photo for the dogleg bolt and safety. And I couldn't figure out the Savage bolt gun for the life of me.

I try to stay away from classic firearms and such these days because it's a rabbit hole that is WAY too easy for me to go down. I like and enjoy the modern gear as much as the next shooter but the older stuff holds a stronger draw.

csm
05-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Remington club here too usually. Hard to beat the price when they're on sale. I have boxes of husks with the idea that I'd reload someday but the math just didn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Another name them challenge. These are all pre '40 shotguns... some WAY before!

Two views of the same lineup. Hope I didn't make it too easy :)
Let's see how you do.

gasman
04-20-2019, 07:39 PM
Third from the left looks like a Remington 1100. That’s my only guess because that’s what I own.

Tickdoc
04-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Third from the left looks like a Remington 1100. That’s my only guess because that’s what I own.

Third from left is a browning, the rest are Winchester, mossberg, and Ithaca...maybe.

gdw
04-20-2019, 07:46 PM
Marlin 98
Winchester 97
Browning A5
Winchester 12
x
Remington 31
Ithica 37

parris
04-20-2019, 07:48 PM
Top photo from left to right I think is a Winchester model 97, then possible an early Marlin, Browning Auto 5, Stevens 520/620 cant tell from the angle, Winchester model 12, Remington model 31?, and an Ithaca model 37.

Flip the Stevens 520/620 and the Winchester model 12 in the order...

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 07:48 PM

I mentioned that they all are pre 1940. The 1100 came out in the early 1960's...

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 07:50 PM
Marlin 98
Winchester 97
Browning A5
Winchester 12
x
Remington 31
Ithica 37

You have the first two reversed but almost nailed them all. Nice.

parris
04-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Looking at the photo more I'm going to say the Stevens is the later 620 due to receiver shape.

The shotgun next to what I think is a Winchester model 97 "could" be a Winchester 93 but I'm just not as up on them as I once was.

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Top photo from left to right I think is a Winchester model 97, then possible an early Marlin, Browning Auto 5, Stevens 520/620 cant tell from the angle, Winchester model 12, Remington model 31?, and an Ithaca model 37.

Flip the Stevens 520/620 and the Winchester model 12 in the order...

I knew if anyone would get it you'd be in there. I know you love these old guns too. It is a Marlin 1898.

It's funny that the Stevens is such an underdog to the other big 4 of the day. This is a 620, 16ga. These are of course a JM Browning design that got slightly tweeked as time went on. These are very nicely made guns in the 1930's. Love the takedown of this design, better than most.

parris
04-20-2019, 08:02 PM
The interesting thing is that there's 3 Browning designed guns in those photos.

The Auto 5 is easy but many people forget that he did a lot of design work that other makers bought. The 520/620 guns date from a similar era to the Auto 5. But the Model 37 Was originally designed for Remington as I believe the model 17. Ithaca took over the design once the protections had run out and Remington came out with the 31.

My favorite general purpose upland gun is my solid rib 37 in 16 gauge.

AngryScientist
04-20-2019, 08:03 PM
very cool.

i dont actually know anything about old guns, but i think its really great that mechanical things lovingly made so long ago still function. they look to be in nice shape too.

where did you acquire them? estate sale or something?

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 08:10 PM
very cool.

i dont actually know anything about old guns, but i think its really great that mechanical things lovingly made so long ago still function. they look to be in nice shape too.

where did you acquire them? estate sale or something?

Much like the way we all acquire our bikes over the years actually. I've been at it for 40 years.
For myself, growing up in the Connecticut River Valley which was the gun making capital of the world, I've always been fascinated with the various mechanical designs of the the different gun makers. None can remotely compare with John Browning. My favorite era is the 20's and 30's. Just absolutely gorgeous stuff.

gdw
04-20-2019, 08:13 PM
Nice collection. Typo on the first two. I knew the early Marlin had the band in front of the receiver.

You need to add a Remington model 10 or 29 to your collection. They are the bottom ejection models that morphed into the Ithaca.

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 08:19 PM
The interesting thing is that there's 3 Browning designed guns in those photos.

The Auto 5 is easy but many people forget that he did a lot of design work that other makers bought. The 520/620 guns date from a similar era to the Auto 5. But the Model 37 Was originally designed for Remington as I believe the model 17. Ithaca took over the design once the protections had run out and Remington came out with the 31.

My favorite general purpose upland gun is my solid rib 37 in 16 gauge.

Actually there are 4 of his designs and two spin offs.
'97, A5, 12, 520/620. The 37, as you said is slightly tweaked from the Rem 17(20ga) and the Rem 31 too based off his design.
Only the Marlin was absent his genius.

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Nice collection. Typo on the first two. I knew the early Marlin had the band in front of the receiver.

You need to add a Remington model 10 or 29 to your collection. They are the bottom ejection models that morphed into the Ithaca.

The Rem 10 was a Pedersen design I believe. Lots of them in Trench form were used in WWI.

parris
04-20-2019, 08:30 PM
I completely forgot about the 97 being his!

gdw
04-20-2019, 08:34 PM
You're right. I thought the 10, 17, and 29 were all part of the same basic family. It's amazing how designs Browning originated.

Bruce K
04-20-2019, 08:45 PM
All my shotguns are reproductions.

2 hammerless coach guns, a ‘97, and an ‘87.

But I do cowboy action not clays.

The only thing I have that's really old is a Springfield Trapdoor Carbine that was made from a Cadet rifle manufactured in 1895.

Still shoots great!

BK

parris
04-20-2019, 08:51 PM
GDW John Browning was awarded 128 patents for firearms and items directly related to firearms throughout his lifetime.

I find it very interesting to look not just at all his designs but his designs that are still in production 100+ years on in many cases.

I've made 2 mistakes over the years in gun buying that I still kick myself over and they both involve the Browning Superposed shotgun.

A number of years ago when I was doing a lot of clay target shooting I came across a mid 50's Superposed at a local shop that felt really good. The thing is that I wanted longer barrels and such so I passed on it. The thing that makes me kick myself to this day is that it was a Funken engraved Diana grade gun in honest shape that I could've afforded! Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.

The next gun was a mid 30's Single trigger Superposed that had honest wear and had enough wear in the hinge pin that a rejoint service would've been on the table. That particular gun was one of those rare guns that fit and almost as importantly balanced like it was made for me. Again it was one that I could've afforded but passed on. That particular gun was a grade 1 gun but it had European Walnut that was all out of proportion to the grade. Again... Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Great poster

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 09:08 PM
GDW John Browning was awarded 128 patents for firearms and items directly related to firearms throughout his lifetime.

I find it very interesting to look not just at all his designs but his designs that are still in production 100+ years on in many cases.

I've made 2 mistakes over the years in gun buying that I still kick myself over and they both involve the Browning Superposed shotgun.

A number of years ago when I was doing a lot of clay target shooting I came across a mid 50's Superposed at a local shop that felt really good. The thing is that I wanted longer barrels and such so I passed on it. The thing that makes me kick myself to this day is that it was a Funken engraved Diana grade gun in honest shape that I could've afforded! Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.

The next gun was a mid 30's Single trigger Superposed that had honest wear and had enough wear in the hinge pin that a rejoint service would've been on the table. That particular gun was one of those rare guns that fit and almost as importantly balanced like it was made for me. Again it was one that I could've afforded but passed on. That particular gun was a grade 1 gun but it had European Walnut that was all out of proportion to the grade. Again... Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.

John's son Val had 48 patents himself. The one I like most is the Double Automatic.
He also finished up his dads design on the Superposed and the Hi-Power pistol. Not that many even know of him...pops cast a BIG shadow!

parris
04-20-2019, 09:19 PM
I remember that he sorted out the single trigger on the Superposed after his father passed away. Wasn't the BLR one of his designs also?

He also served in ww-1 and got his engineering degree from Cornell.

You're right that his father cast a big shadow.

gasman
04-20-2019, 09:21 PM
I mentioned that they all are pre 1940. The 1100 came out in the early 1960's...

Shows you how little I know about shotguns !!

gdw
04-20-2019, 09:29 PM
Senior also designed the most practical firearm for bikepackers who travel into the sticks to hunt small game. It's just the right size when broken down to fit into a custom hardtail frame pack.

witcombusa
04-20-2019, 09:44 PM
I remember that he sorted out the single trigger on the Superposed after his father passed away. Wasn't the BLR one of his designs also?

He also served in ww-1 and got his engineering degree from Cornell.

You're right that his father cast a big shadow.

I've got the early Model 81 BLR in .358Win. Very nicely made gun as well.
Karl Lewis listed as the designer.