PDA

View Full Version : Question for the camera experts

trener1
12-19-2016, 05:54 PM
I am thinking of picking up one of the new mirrorless cameras, basically I want something small and light that is still fast and decent quality to use for taking pictures of my little ones, and take on small outings.
2 that I am looking at are the Sony a5000 and a6000, budget is a concern, the price difference between the 2 is about $170, my question is, would I regret not spending the extra $$ for the 6000, down the road?.

providence
12-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Definitely not a camera expert. Was looking at both about a year ago. Ultimately went with the a6000.

Biggest difference makers for me was the wifi to upload photos while out and about (namely on vacation). Much faster frame per second to shoot action. And the shoe. Considering the difference in price, I felt these were worth it. It's a great little camera that's easy to carry along with you.

rnhood
12-19-2016, 07:03 PM
If cost is a concern, get the a5100. The trade offs are little. Otherwise, the a6000. Both these have the latest 24mp sensor. Not sure about the a5000.

MaraudingWalrus
12-19-2016, 07:06 PM
I think bcroslin would be our resident camera expert.

weisan
12-19-2016, 07:16 PM
>>basically I want something small and light that is still fast and decent quality to use for taking pictures of my little ones, and take on small outings.

I am not the expert but I do fill in "Photography" under the "interests/hobby" section. :p

I was able to accomplish the above-mentioned tasks or goals using my several years old Canon Powershot S100 with my family of 8...the Sony DSLR have stayed inside the camera bag on the most part and seldom get used unless I am taking pictures of the Rivendell (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196345&highlight=rivendell) or the Merckx (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=180576&highlight=merckx), then that's of higher importance. :D

My point is, even a "lesser" camera can get the job done...and done well, provided you know what you are doing and a bit about composing and light conditions, if not, even a "better" camera won't help much. Sorry for being blunt here.

seric
12-19-2016, 08:02 PM
I haven't yet delved into mirrorless. I'm mostly a FF Nikon shooter for visible light photography. That said, glancing quickly at the two cameras, the biggest difference that immediately jumped out to me between those two cameras was the superior controls of the a6000. I prefer changes in shooting envelopes to not require a lot of jumping through menus to change settings. I'd much rather hit a purpose built button or dial.

charliedid
12-19-2016, 11:00 PM
If you are only looking at those two I'd buy the a6000 for the viewfinder alone.

trener1
12-20-2016, 08:30 AM
I was able to accomplish the above-mentioned tasks or goals using my several years old Canon Powershot S100 with my family of 8...the Sony DSLR have stayed inside the camera bag on the most part and seldom get used unless I am taking pictures of the Rivendell (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196345&highlight=rivendell) or the Merckx (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=180576&highlight=merckx), then that's of higher importance. :D

My point is, even a "lesser" camera can get the job done...and done well, provided you know what you are doing and a bit about composing and light conditions, if not, even a "better" camera won't help much. Sorry for being blunt here.[/QUOTE]

While I am no expert, I am actually a fairly competent photographer as well, I have a nice DSLR that gets me great shots when I use it, but the kids are young and always moving, and I don't always feel like having the DSLR out so I end up using my iPhone and the pictures aren't as good (obviously), so I am thinking that this might bridge the gap in quality and also be light enough that I would have it out and use it on a daily basis. perhaps I am wring in that line of thinking.

weisan
12-20-2016, 08:46 AM
In that case, trener pal, I think you have a lot of options out there and you have already done your research to narrow it down to those two choices that fit your requirements.

trener1
12-20-2016, 09:12 AM
To be honest I haven't done much research at all, I went into Best Buy to look at some headphones, and they had one of these on display and it just kind of caught my eye.