PDA

View Full Version : Gentle reminder to bring yummies to your LBS/mechanic or your favorite store

weisan
12-19-2016, 12:52 PM
There's no way I could survive the bike addiction without the help of my local bike co-cop Yellow Bike Project (http://austinyellowbike.org/). The least I could do really was to deliver a box of Costco chocolate chip cookies wash down with a box of this...if you are thinking the same as I do, your favorite bike store or mechanic or someone who has done you good this year, do it...and do it soon! :banana:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3619/3402076965_59d733c4fe_z.jpg?zz=1

quauhnahuac
12-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Whenever this type of thread comes up, people indicate that bike shops don't necessarily want random beer/etc. so I stopped bringing it. maybe the best thing to do is ask your lbs what they want rather than show up with random stuff

Formulasaab
12-19-2016, 01:14 PM
I happen to know that my LBS loves when I bring beer, but last year I joked around with them a little and brought them a box "for return"...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161219/dc66d0497894fa09b065b1fe2bfbda96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
12-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Whenever this type of thread comes up, people indicate that bike shops don't necessarily want random beer/etc. so I stopped bringing it. maybe the best thing to do is ask your lbs what they want rather than show up with random stuff

I agree, and so I pulled one of the coordinators to the side one day and asked him specifically what his people might like before I showed up the next week with the goodies.

formula pal, that's brilliant!

znfdl
12-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I only trust one or two mechanics with my bikes and they always get a bottle of wine when they finish a project.

Ti Designs
12-19-2016, 01:44 PM
I only trust one or two mechanics with my bikes and they always get a bottle of wine when they finish a project.

If you ever need any work done in the Boston area...

CampyorBust
12-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Yet another reason to do your own wrenching! :D

Carefull with Boston area shops there are a few doozies out there, ***** one of them does not even know how to replace a correct size axel when doing warranty work and overcharging for it. :crap:

OMG biscotti, just got an email re some biscotti, you guys must reading my mind or my emails. Perhaps just a kawinkydink;)...

Ti Designs
12-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Yet another reason to do your own wrenching! :D

Carefull with Boston area shops there are a few doozies out there, ***** one of them does not even know how to replace a correct size axel when doing warranty work and overcharging for it. :crap:

I have a hard time believing they don't know how to overcharge for it - perhaps I'm reading that wrong...

The problem with having a shop mechanic doing work for you is they rarely treat your bike like they do their own. I treat my friend's and client's bikes like most people treat their own, I don't work on my own bikes until they just don't work any more, and even then I try to get another month out of them. If a shop mechanic knows there's a nice bottle of wine in it, the rules change...

As for doing your own work because the shop doesn't know how to do something, does that mean you know how to do everything???

572cv
12-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Great Reminder, wei-pal.

Also good to know not to bring in your bike for service right after Ti-designs delivered the wine ;-)

gemship
12-19-2016, 04:57 PM
I have a hard time believing they don't know how to overcharge for it - perhaps I'm reading that wrong...

The problem with having a shop mechanic doing work for you is they rarely treat your bike like they do their own. I treat my friend's and client's bikes like most people treat their own, I don't work on my own bikes until they just don't work any more, and even then I try to get another month out of them. If a shop mechanic knows there's a nice bottle of wine in it, the rules change...

As for doing your own work because the shop doesn't know how to do something, does that mean you know how to do everything???

Well it's not exactly rocket science. FWIW there is no local shop where I live and it's just way to easy to mail order parts.

Gummee
12-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Being the guy with the wrench...

Mmmm goodies!

M

Mzilliox
12-19-2016, 05:12 PM
I took mine some goodies friday! happy holidays

Cicli
12-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Glad you all have good shops.
I do all my own work. I dont think my LBS could fix a ham sandwich.

znfdl
12-19-2016, 05:46 PM
If you ever need any work done in the Boston area...

I will let you know if I return to my hometown, but highly unlikely.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2016, 06:05 PM

Nope, a bike shop that doesn't have beer in a fridge is a bike shop you should leave.

Bring some decent beer, even f they don't drink it, it's a nice thought.

Mzilliox
12-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Glad you all have good shops.
I do all my own work. I dont think my LBS could fix a ham sandwich.

mine is the guy i sometimes ride with who has more and older tools than me... if i can't pull the BB, or press the cups, or change the bearings, hes the guy who can.
The actual bike shop can sell me Specialized. thats about it. They don't even carry tubular tires or glue.

Formulasaab
12-19-2016, 08:43 PM
I do all of my own wrenching. But I still value my LBS highly. They provide valuable advice and are my primary (new) parts source. When I don't have a tool, they always do. If my mom wants to know what to get me for Christmas she doesn't even need to ask me, she can just ask them. When I became suddenly and unexpectedly unemployed a couple of years ago, I went there, grabbed a couple beers out of the fridge, and sat at the counter for a few hours while I got my head straight again. They're all my friends there. I know not everyone can have this sort of LBS. I know many don't even want this sort of LBS. But my LBS is Garrison's Cyclery of Centreville and they are fantastic. They earn the occasional six pack of beer and Christmas box of biscotti. I don't have to give it to them, but I WANT TO.

weisan
12-19-2016, 09:23 PM
I do all of my own wrenching. But I still value my LBS highly. They provide valuable advice and are my primary (new) parts source. When I don't have a tool, they always do. If my mom wants to know what to get me for Christmas she doesn't even need to ask me, she can just ask them. When I became suddenly and unexpectedly unemployed a couple of years ago, I went there, grabbed a couple beers out of the fridge, and sat at the counter for a few hours while I got my head straight again. They're all my friends there. I know not everyone can have this sort of LBS. I know many don't even want this sort of LBS. But my LBS is Garrison's Cyclery of Centreville and they are fantastic. They earn the occasional six pack of beer and Christmas box of biscotti. I don't have to give it to them, but I WANT TO.

That's really nice.

CampyorBust
12-19-2016, 09:32 PM
I have a hard time believing they don't know how to overcharge for it

LOl aint that the truth of it

If a shop mechanic knows there's a nice bottle of wine in it, the rules change...

I think that is unfortunate, if you cant do a job right don't do it at all. And overcharging is not overcharging if the client agrees beforehand, when it is presented as a surprise at the end it becomes shifty. I really like seeing great LBS workers, but its rare. Plus i just dont go into LBS anymore, I just gave up at a certain point. If I ran a bike shop if anyone that was working had an attitude or hollier than thou attitude I would boot their arse, or maybe just reprogram them. Then again I would probably be out of business in no time, jackassery seems to be unavoidable behavioral trait in the cycling world. I just honestly believe that treating people right is common sense and not doing so is self defeating.

Not by a long shot, I wish I knew more about wheel building, how to train responsibly, how to eat more better, how to forgive better, how to zen, how to focus, eight fold path and other good stuff etc. the list is quite long actually.

If I just turned a give LBS guys some love, my appologise, by all means hook these guys up they do work their butts off. I wonder if we would still enjoy wrenching on our own bikes if we had to do it day in and day out.

stephenmarklay
12-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Great idea.

kevinvc
12-20-2016, 01:16 PM
I've asked the guys at my LBS about their preferences for tokens of appreciation. They are pretty adamant about favoring beer to snacks. They also say that their drink of choice is Rainier.

I try not to judge them too harshly on this, but living in the Pacific NW, it's impossible to walk a block without finding an extraordinary local brew. But since that's what they want, that's what they get. I can also buy them a 12-pack for the price I would pay for a 6 pack of the good stuff. :beer: