PDA

View Full Version : Flea Remedy Needed

Bill Bove
07-28-2006, 01:08 PM
The day before the tour started I rescued a four week old kitten. A yellow tabby that I named Thor the next day. When I got him his eyes were swollen shut, he was covered with fleas and had a nasty case of mange. The vet was great getting him healthy, I had to feed him and bathe him several times in sulfer for the mange but it is still there, the vet says it will last a little longer. My problem now is the fleas, I'm controlling them as best I can with frequent coming and such but untill the mange improves some more and he gets a little older I can't use Advantage on him. What can I use on me for all the flea bites I have? Calamine lotion?

Signed, Itchey in all over.

pjm
07-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Hopefully, for every A-hole out there, there's a good guy like you, Bill!
(Sorry, but I have no cure for your itching problem.)

SpaceOdyssey
07-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for sharing.

No good ideas for you just now, but I don't think I'll be coming down to visit any time soon. ;)

Is Thor at home or the shop?

Have you quarantined him from the others? It would be a real mess if the flea infestation spread to your other cats or your apartment.

You can always use a flea product for yourself, I think you are old enough.

B

Bill Bove
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Thor is at home and living up to his name, not outsprinting me but meowwing like thunder. I had to keep him isolated until the mange was no longer contagous. I lost Tigre to a failed kidney a couple of months ago so there is only NewBurt still at home, she's old enough for Advantage and it is working well on her. Thor and I however are a different story. When I can I'll be boraxing the whole house again but I've got to wait till Thor is a little older and stronger for any really aggressive measures. Meanwhile I look like an overweight Rasmussen, only I'm not wearing any damn jersey :crap:

Lifelover
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
The day before the tour started I rescued a four week old kitten. A yellow tabby that I named Thor the next day. When I got him his eyes were swollen shut, he was covered with fleas and had a nasty case of mange. The vet was great getting him healthy, I had to feed him and bathe him several times in sulfer for the mange but it is still there, the vet says it will last a little longer. My problem now is the fleas, I'm controlling them as best I can with frequent coming and such but untill the mange improves some more and he gets a little older I can't use Advantage on him. What can I use on me for all the flea bites I have? Calamine lotion?

For You
cortizone cream for all things itchy. NOTHING works better.

For the Apartment
Vacuum EVERYDAY until he is on advantage.

Too Tall
07-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Pyrethrium. It is non-toxic. For the house use a hormone spray to zap the hatch cycle and vaccum alot.

We had this once loooong time ago. Took care of it quick with good advice.

Sandy
07-28-2006, 05:01 PM

You may be itching on the outside, but you are really warm and giving on the inside. To rescue a kitten with mange and fleas is really a truly wonderful act on your part. To accept that responsibility is genuinely special. May Thor give you many years of shared happiness.

Thor is one most fortunate cat!

And I didn't think that you Campy guys and gals had any heart! :)

You have my total respect and admiration!

Bow Wow Sandy

ShortRider
07-28-2006, 05:11 PM
for making the world a slightly better place for the animals! I'm sorry about the itch, but you are doing such a great thing for Thor. I would suggest Tiger Balm, the thing that's used for muscle ache a lot, but it smells. It does take the itch away some though.

Dekonick
07-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Flea's in Florida - they are vicious. I once saw a flea take on an alligator and win...

We lived in Orlando (20 years ago) and had the same problem with our dog - the only thing that worked was spraying the yard often, (but I doubt you let the cat roam the wilds) and sucking the living heck out of the carpets...OFTEN. If we didnt keep up they seemed to be back in force in a matter of weeks. Use the Hoover - alot. Don't forget about furniture!

Good luck.

:beer:

JohnS
07-28-2006, 09:58 PM
I guess this refutes the old saying "Big cats are dangerous but a little pussy (cat) never hurt anyone"! :beer:

zap
07-29-2006, 01:52 PM
We adopted a rescue kitten some years back that had fleas.

I hate fleas.

As soon as we got home from the vet, I gave the poor cat a bath, then another. And another. And one more for good measure. The last dunk & rub did not bring out any fleas.

Each bath took some time with much rubbing and it worked like a charm.

But the cat was scared of me for the rest of it's days with us.

For insect bites, we use Campho Phenique.

By the way, her name was Campy.

Old Mavic is still with us as is our young pedigree Russian Blue Cosmic.

William
07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Pyrethrium. It is non-toxic. For the house use a hormone spray to zap the hatch cycle and vaccum alot.

We had this once loooong time ago. Took care of it quick with good advice.

Rhea Basset agrees with you TT!

BaaWoo!!!
BaaWoo!!!

William

Sandy
07-29-2006, 03:06 PM
We adopted a rescue kitten some years back that had fleas.

I hate fleas.

As soon as we got home from the vet, I gave the poor cat a bath, then another. And another. And one more for good measure. The last dunk & rub did not bring out any fleas.

Each bath took some time with much rubbing and it worked like a charm.

But the cat was scared of me for the rest of it's days with us.

For insect bites, we use Campho Phenique.

By the way, her name was Campy.

Old Mavic is still with us as is our young pedigree Russian Blue Cosmic.

I'm scared of you and I never have had any fleas.....I think..... :)

:banana: Scratching Sandy :banana:

Fat Robert
07-30-2006, 06:53 AM
irradiate

should get the fleas

don't know about the cat

Bill Bove
07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
irradiate

should get the fleas

don't know about the cat
:banana: :banana: :banana: