PDA

View Full Version : Introduction-The Davis Phinney Foundation

DLA
04-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Hello,
I would like to introduce myself, my name is David and I run a Serotta dealership in Cincinnati. Ben suggested that I make a post on the forum to introduce a new foundation that Kathleen Krumme, my partner and I are working on. As many of you know, Davis Phinney was diagnosed four years ago with Parkinson's Disease. Kathleen's father, Don Krumme, is also afflicted with this disease. My experience is that most of us know, through a friend or relative, someone who's life is challenged by Parkinson's or some other neurological disorder. Fortunately for us, The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine is taking a leading role in research for a cure through their Neuroscience Institute. We were fortunate enough to meet Dr. John Tew, (a noted neurosugeon and cyclist), the founder of the Neuroscience Institute through our work with the local MS150 ride. With inspiration from Davis and Connie, Dr. Tew, Ben, and many friends we are pleased to announce The Davis Phinney Foundation.
I have included a copy of our first press release in this post:

Kathleen Krumme
The Davis Phinney Foundation
3010 Madison Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45209
Telephone: 513 731 9111
Email: kkrumme@davisphinneyfoundation.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Davis Phinney, Cincinnati Business Leaders Launch Foundation
For Parkinson’s Disease Research and Wellness

CINCINNATI, Ohio (April 9, 2004) -- Davis Phinney, the winningest cyclist in U.S. cycling history, has teamed up with Cincinnati Business Leaders Kathleen Krumme and David Ariosa, managers of Oakley Cycles, to create the Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson’s Disease Research and Wellness.

The Davis Phinney Foundation is dedicated to supporting research aimed at understanding, preventing, and treating Parkinson’s disease. The Foundation also seeks to find ways to improve the lives of individuals challenged by the disease. The Foundation will focus its efforts on raising funds that will be distributed as grants to laboratory and clinical research programs that are investigating the causes of Parkinson’s disease and new, potentially curative therapies for Parkinson’s patients.

Davis Phinney, 44, is credited as the winningest cyclist in U.S. history with over 300 National and International victories. In 2000, after exhaustive medical testing, Davis was diagnosed with early-onset Parkinson’s disease. He was 40 years old. In 1986, Davis was the first American ever to win a road stage in the Tour de France. In addition, Davis's cycling career highlights include an Olympic Bronze Medal (1984), Pan-Am Games Gold Medal (1983), four National Championship titles, including the coveted US PRO title in 1991. After retiring from racing in 1993, Davis continued using his expertise and outgoing personality as a television commentator for NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, and OLN.

More than one million Americans, cyclist Phinney among them, live with Parkinson’s disease, a degenerative neurological disorder involving the death of dopamine-producing nerve cells deep within the brain. Five percent of patients are 40 years old or younger when they show initial symptoms of the disease. There is no cure for Parkinson’s at this time, and scientists do not yet know how to slow or halt the progression of this disease of motion, which gradually robs patients of their ability to move and speak.

-- more –

Davis, married to 1984 Olympic Road Cycling Champion Connie Carpenter and the father of two children (Taylor age 13, Kelsey age 10), now focuses on his family, his health and the family business, Carpenter / Phinney Bike Camps. Founded in 1986 as instructional camps, the excursions have evolved to cycling vacations designed for recreational enthusiasts, in both Italy and Colorado. Davis and Connie are also the authors of Training for Cycling: The Ultimate Guide to Improved Performance .

The Davis Phinney Foundation will be hosting a major fundraising event, The Sunflower Revolution, which will take place July 30 and 31, 2004, in Cincinnati, with a benefit dinner and auction to be held Friday evening, and a 62-mile Foundation benefit bike ride to be held Saturday morning. Davis, who lives in Northern Italy, will fly to Cincinnati for the event. Proceeds from The Sunflower Revolution will go to the Parkinson’s Center at
The Neuroscience Institute at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and
University Hospital.

Through the Davis Phinney Foundation, Davis is assuming the role of Parkinson’s advocate for the first time. He was inspired by longtime friend, legendary cycling framebuilder Ben Serotta to join forces with Oakley Cycles, a 21-year-old Cincinnati company that sells fine, made-to-measure bicycles.

Davis Phinney will be available for interviews the week of April 12th. He may be contacted by email: connie@bikecamp.com or by telephone. Please contact David Ariosa or Kathleen Krumme at the Foundation 513-731-9111.

Smiley
04-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Please look for my check in the mail, Its through the efforts of people like DLC and Ms Krumme and the generosity of Ben Serotta for donating ALL the proceeds from last years Open House that we will start to make in roads to find cures for illnesses like Parkinsons and the likes. Thank you for your efforts and thanks Ben for doing your part to help a friend like Davis Phinney through his foundation.

I met Connie and Davis 10 years ago while attending their Vail Mountain Bike Camp and they are the BEST people you'd ever want to know.

va rider
04-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Look for my check, too.

My father had Parkinson's and it onset when he was in his early 30s. It was a devasting disease. He had me late in his life and unfortunately my memories are only of a very debiliated man, who day by day lost all of his ability to function. He was never able to teach me to ride a bike, throw a baseball, etc. It is unfortunate, but children do not understand Parkinson's. My father passed away when I was in college.

I commend Ben and Serotta for their support of Parkinson's research. This is a disease that researcher's really know very little about. It has only been in the last few years they have realized there is a genetic link.

It is only with hope from research that those with Parkisnon's won't have to suffer the slow descent of debilitation, pain and suffering.

Thanks Ben and Serotta.

Kevin
04-08-2004, 05:07 PM
My check is on its way.

Kevin

Serotta PETE
04-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I have not seem Davis in about 2 years, but still remember him as quite a gentleman, outstanding athlete, and most of all an outstanding person!!

He, Connie, and their children were a pleasure to be with for a week of bike camp. Would recommend the "camps" to all. Even got to meet Davis's mother who is quite a person to talk to......

Please count me in,,,, Hopefully I will also be able to get to even on 30th also.

PETE