PDA

View Full Version : Winter shoes for 20*F weather? So I'm not considering rain.

sowestport
12-17-2016, 12:18 PM
For me, cold weather is mostly 20*F with occasional rides in the teens. When it gets into the teens, I don't mind putting in some chemical warmers.

Considering the Lake 303s and Shimano MW7s. It seems that 303s would do the trick, but my LBS deals with Shimano, so any comments on Shimano in the temperature range mentioned.

Opinions of other mfgs are also welcomed.

SlowPokePete
12-17-2016, 12:39 PM
I've liked the Lakes, and I am in the process of replacing an older pair (301's?) with 303's.

I ordered the same size as the older pair but they were tight, so they are on their way back in exchange for a size larger.

SPP

paredown
12-17-2016, 01:21 PM
I know cold feet vary, but I get by with good neopreem shoe covers and light wool socks. Std Specialized shoes...

(Dry only and not long rides though)

David Kirk
12-17-2016, 01:31 PM
I have Sidi winter MTB shoes....waterproof and insulated. I use them fatbiking. They are good for me until it gets into the low 20's - below that I put insulated booties over them and then I'm good into the single digits.

It was -23° this morning and it's warmed up to -13° so I doubt I'll be using any bike shoes today!

dave

sowestport
12-17-2016, 01:33 PM
I suppose you guys ride in teens to 20*f weather.

Remember to post your temperatures that you ride in if it's not in the range I'm asking opinions for. I need to keep your opinions in the proper frame, so if you're riding in much colder temps, I'll try to adjust for my weather.

BTW, I've been riding with just overshoes and chemical warmers for the past few seasons. I'm looking to be a bit more comfortable for this season.

sowestport
12-17-2016, 01:35 PM
I have Sidi winter MTB shoes....waterproof and insulated. I use them fatbiking. They are good for me until it gets into the low 20's - below that I put insulated booties over them and then I'm good into the single digits.

It was -23° this morning and it's warmed up to -13° so I doubt I'll be using any bike shoes today!

dave

Thank you, Mr Kirk! I really appreciate your work. I ride Steelman Stagerace/Eurocross and would like to ride one of yours.

Schmed
12-17-2016, 02:00 PM
My shimano boots are good down to about 20. Lots of room in the toe box in case I need thicker socks or a small bag of exothermic chemicals.

Everyone is different, though. I'd guess I'm normal (my wife would challenge that assertion) when it comes to toe-coldnessablity.

sowestport
12-17-2016, 02:03 PM
I know cold feet vary, but I get by with good neopreem shoe covers and light wool socks. Std Specialized shoes...

(Dry only and not long rides though)

Thanks Paredown! BTW, what booties do you use? I've used the Caratti's and they seem fragile but warm. I'm thinking about DHB's from Wiggle to go with my regular mtb/rd shoes for the cool but not so cold weather.

sowestport
12-17-2016, 02:08 PM
My shimano boots are good down to about 20. Lots of room in the toe box in case I need thicker socks or a small bag of exothermic chemicals.

Everyone is different, though. I'd guess I'm normal (my wife would challenge that assertion) when it comes to toe-coldnessablity.

Yes indeed everyone is different. The past year I found that wearing my rain kit over my winter kit, which includes rain shell over the gloves, has given me a good 10* plus colder tolerance. Now my core is much warmer and so are the hands and feet.

Thanks for the Shimano feedback!

PaMtbRider
12-17-2016, 02:25 PM
I've liked the Lakes, and I am in the process of replacing an older pair (301's?) with 303's.

I ordered the same size as the older pair but they were tight, so they are on their way back in exchange for a size larger.

SPP

I did the exact same thing. My 301's were always a little loose so the new 303's actually fit me better.

mbrtool
12-17-2016, 02:56 PM
My hands and feet run colder and colder as I get older. I bought the 45NRTH Wolvhammers this fall. 6 degrees F. 2 hours no problem. I am 9 1/2 EEE and take a 46.

Ray

93legendti
12-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Like Dave Kirk, I've had great luck with Sidi Winter Shoes. Mine are over 10 yrs old and going strong.

sowestport
12-17-2016, 03:31 PM
My hands and feet run colder and colder as I get older. I bought the 45NRTH Wolvhammers this fall. 6 degrees F. 2 hours no problem. I am 9 1/2 EEE and take a 46.

Ray

How bulky do they feel when pedaling?

DfCas
12-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Whatever you get needs to fit loose so not to impair circulation and leave room for extra socks. I size up 1.5 sizes for winter shoes.

TimD
12-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Just regular shoes, very loose. Thick Merino wool socks. Toe covers under quilted Gore booties. This combination is good to 15 F for 90 minutes, 25 F for longer.

It is important to keep your head, legs, and core warm, as blood retreats from the extremities first to warm the brain and core.

Have fun!
Tim

sowestport
12-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Looks like getting the shoes on the large size so as to get thicker socks and allow blood circulation is a big key.

mbrtool
12-18-2016, 05:40 PM
How bulky do they feel when pedaling?

I don't feel any bulkiness.

Ray

Pierre
12-19-2016, 07:57 AM
I got some Northwave Fahrenheit Arctic's last season. Very impressed with them...actually they turned out to be waaay more comfy that my trusted Sidi Genius's so I'm looking to get some cooler NW's for my summer riding next season.

sandyrs
12-19-2016, 09:08 AM
I have Shimano winter MTB boots. At road speeds, they're good down to 20 or so with wool socks, and I rarely ride on the road for long when the temps fall below that. At off-road speeds, they're great down to as cold as it gets around here (low single digits) for an hour and a half or so with wool socks; I imagine they'd be fine for longer but I don't ride for multiple hours in such low temperatures.

sowestport
12-19-2016, 09:14 AM
I have Shimano winter MTB boots. At road speeds, they're good down to 20 or so with wool socks, and I rarely ride on the road for long when the temps fall below that. At off-road speeds, they're great down to as cold as it gets around here (low single digits) for an hour and a half or so with wool socks; I imagine they'd be fine for longer but I don't ride for multiple hours in such low temperatures.

How thick are your wool socks? Perhaps you can let me know the make and model so I can ascertain the thickness myself.

sandyrs
12-19-2016, 09:47 AM
How thick are your wool socks? Perhaps you can let me know the make and model so I can ascertain the thickness myself.

I have a menagerie. My go-to's are some Smartwool knee-height socks with a decently thick sole (maybe twice the thickness of a summer-weight sock, and no idea what model as they were a gift) and Defeet Woolie Boolies which have a thinner sole but are thicker around the rest of the foot. The Shimano booties have a good amount of room for thicker socks but can be tightened down when I'm wearing thinner socks so they're pretty versatile. They don't have quite the same "locked in" feel as well-fitting road shoes but they're plenty effective for winter riding in my opinion.

sowestport
12-19-2016, 09:54 AM
I have a menagerie. My go-to's are some Smartwool knee-height socks with a decently thick sole (maybe twice the thickness of a summer-weight sock, and no idea what model as they were a gift) and Defeet Woolie Boolies which have a thinner sole but are thicker around the rest of the foot. The Shimano booties have a good amount of room for thicker socks but can be tightened down when I'm wearing thinner socks so they're pretty versatile. They don't have quite the same "locked in" feel as well-fitting road shoes but they're plenty effective for winter riding in my opinion.

Thank you!

sowestport
12-19-2016, 09:55 AM
I got some Northwave Fahrenheit Arctic's last season. Very impressed with them...actually they turned out to be waaay more comfy that my trusted Sidi Genius's so I'm looking to get some cooler NW's for my summer riding next season.

Nice looking boot. They seem to be trim and not that warm. I would've most likely overlooked them. Good to know that they are warm. Thanks for the info!

Fatty
12-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Sidi Diablo GTX for style points.

http://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/1200/SID/SID0067/BKBK.jpg

sowestport
12-19-2016, 01:50 PM
My LBS has an account that can get 45nrth, so I'm looking into this:

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/45nrth-japanther-winter-boots-review/

chiasticon
12-19-2016, 02:14 PM
my experience with both Shimano and Mavic winter shoes is that they're basically as good as a pair of normal shoes with good booties over them. the difference is you just put the shoes on and go, versus struggling with booties too. they may add a few degrees, but nothing huge. sub-20, you'll still be adding chemical warmers and/or stopping somewhere warm every couple hours to thaw out.

fwiw, I found the Mavics to be warmer than the Shimanos. I also hated the hockey skate-like feeling of both of them. I prefer normal shoes/booties and then just doing something else/riding inside when it inches down near 20 or below.

ltwtsculler91
12-19-2016, 02:33 PM
fwiw, I found the Mavics to be warmer than the Shimanos. I also hated the hockey skate-like feeling of both of them. I prefer normal shoes/booties and then just doing something else/riding inside when it inches down near 20 or below.

I would say I've felt similar with my Mavic shoes (which I would recommend), they feel clunky compared to summer shoes.
That said, I do find they go lower than shoes+booties and break them out anytime the whole ride is sub-35 degrees. With some good wool socks, I can get by in them easily to about 10 degrees. I like Swiftwick's pursuit line, as they fit very similarly to their normal cycling socks and are VERY warm for their low bulk

peanutgallery
12-19-2016, 02:36 PM
You guys are a bunch of amateurs:)

This is what you wear in 20 degree weather...below that I install the hotronics.

https://www.nordicausa.com/files/4354/_1600x0r_SPEEDMACHINE_120_050H2200N74.jpg

jh_on_the_cape
12-19-2016, 02:43 PM
I have had good luck with the Lake MTB shoes.

My feeling is that you lose lots of heat through the sole of your feet when using metal clipless pedals. I put warm wooly insoles in my cycling shoes and that really helps. The Lakes come with warm insoles.

Bob Ross
12-19-2016, 03:04 PM
My feeling is that you lose lots of heat through the sole of your feet when using metal clipless pedals. I put warm wooly insoles in my cycling shoes and that really helps. The Lakes come with warm insoles.

I have long toyed with the idea of getting the Toasty Feet Aerogel insoles (http://www.safetyworks.com/product/toasty-feet-mens-insoles-aerogel-infused-sizes-8-13-orange/) for my cycling shoes. Anyone ever tried those, or something like them?

tv_vt
12-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Summer shoes with slightly thicker wool socks and thick neoprene booties works for me.

sowestport
12-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Looks like my LBS can only get L Garneau or Shimano, so any comments of bulkiness and performance for this Garneau Klondike?

https://garneau.com/ca/en/klondike

54ny77
12-20-2016, 10:56 PM
I have the Shimano's and they're comfy. I have a half size bigger than usual to accommodate thicker socks or those disposable toe warmer heat things (the thin packs that crank out some heat when opened). Great shoes, comfy, worth it. Warm socks make a lot of difference.

sowestport
01-16-2017, 06:38 PM
First, thank you guys for all the feedback.

My LBS only could get the Shimano mw7, size 43. I wear shimano 42 in both road and mtb, so there's a bit of room, which I take advantage on my last ride.

1st time at 17*F for little over an hour, my toes were uncomfortably cold. I had summer weight socks on.

2nd time at 30*F for 1hr 20min, my toes were cold and kind of uncomfortable.

3rd time at 27*F for 1hr 20min, I put on ski socks, chemical warmers, and on one side, I put a 5mm thermal insole. My feet were comfortable on both sides and the side with thermal insole was noticeably warmer.

So I will go with chemical warmers below freezing and will always wear thicker socks.

Caught a cold, so more updates later.

Mark McM
01-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Maybe someone can answer me this:

Many "winter" road bike shoes are "waterproof" (often through a waterproof/breathable membrane like Gore-Tex), but almost none are insulated. Around here, it is usually below freezing in the winter, so cold is more of an issue than (liquid) water. Why aren't there insulated winter road shoes?

genbar
01-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Probably chiming in late but I love my Giro Alpineduros. They felt a bit clunky for me for about a day but got accustomed to them and they are nice and toasty. Commuted in them here in Chicago when we had an entire week of single-digit weather and I was using thin ankle socks. My feet stayed plenty warm.

http://dirtragmag.com/review-giro-alpenduro-winter-spd-boots/

flydhest
01-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Curious where folks are riding in these temps. I know Dave Kirk is in Montana, but my experience is the humidity matters a lot. My mother-in-law is in Colorado. I will ride there with thicker wool socks and shoe covers at 25 degrees and be happy. I live in Washington, DC, and riding here in 25 degrees is something I tend to avoid. Here, it is grey and humid, so 25 degrees feels absolutely awful. When I ride in CO at that temperature, it is usually sunny and completely dry. Would rather ride in 25 in CO and 40 in DC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

verticaldoug
01-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Maybe someone can answer me this:

Many "winter" road bike shoes are "waterproof" (often through a waterproof/breathable membrane like Gore-Tex), but almost none are insulated. Around here, it is usually below freezing in the winter, so cold is more of an issue than (liquid) water. Why aren't there insulated winter road shoes?

It probably has something to do with the market size. I don't mind riding to 20 F , and generally the light insulation in winter shoes with the right socks will suffice. If for some reason I want to ride colder, I can just thrown on some overshoes for extra warm. But the number of days I will do that I can count on one hand. If my shoe is too insulated, most days my feet will just become sweat boxes.

CampyorBust
01-17-2017, 11:53 AM
If you are a svelte ninja like myself you will find the Wolvhammer most gratifying. So soft, comfortable and warm, honestly one of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. A little bulky for road perhaps, then again maybe not if we are talking 20degrees so probably snow slush and such. Their rubber is so soft, so supple, so quite, believe me! I can sneak up on just about any rodent looking covetously upon my nut stash. If 45nrth made a winter hiking boot I would be on that lickety-split.

druptight
01-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Probably chiming in late but I love my Giro Alpineduros. They felt a bit clunky for me for about a day but got accustomed to them and they are nice and toasty. Commuted in them here in Chicago when we had an entire week of single-digit weather and I was using thin ankle socks. My feet stayed plenty warm.

http://dirtragmag.com/review-giro-alpenduro-winter-spd-boots/

Thanks for this! Read some great reviews. They're on closeout at REI for $140, but not in my size. I headed over to BikeTiresDirect, and they had one pair remaining in my size on closeout for $95! Plus I had $13 worth of VIP points to use. I'll report back.

genbar
01-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks for this! Read some great reviews. They're on closeout at REI for $140, but not in my size. I headed over to BikeTiresDirect, and they had one pair remaining in my size on closeout for $95! Plus I had $13 worth of VIP points to use. I'll report back.

Score! Can't beat that. Hope it works out for you.