PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Shimano CX-75 hubs?

d_douglas
12-15-2016, 06:14 PM
I have the chance to buy a Shimano hydro R-685 build kit for my CX bike and the included wheels are Shimano CX-75 hubs on Stans Radler rims.

The group is to my liking, but I am stumbling on the wheels, partly because I am a fancy hub snob. I understand that the Radler rims are OE Grail rims basically. I think I have heard good things about the hubs, but I like DT and Hope hubs, hence my hesitation.

Can anyone give real life feedback on the quality of these hubs? And for that matter, the rims?

Thanks a lot!

Gummee
12-15-2016, 07:07 PM
The hubs are basically Ultegras with CL disc mounts.

Should be good to go.

M

gavingould
12-15-2016, 09:26 PM
the hubs are fine, if a bit on the heavy side.
i've have a set built to h+son archetype rims since the early days that R785 was out, almost 3 years now? haven't had to touch them as far as maintenance.

darkmother
12-16-2016, 08:27 AM
I have a pair on my CX bike. They are well sealed and work nicely. Not the lightest, but I am happy with them.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

d_douglas
12-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Nothing too inspiring here ;) but exactly as I suspected, all good things. Theres something about Shimano hubs that doesn't inspire me - maybe they need to be purple anodized?

Thanks for your inputs!

livingminimal
12-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Nothing too inspiring here ;) but exactly as I suspected, all good things. Theres something about Shimano hubs that doesn't inspire me - maybe they need to be purple anodized?

Thanks for your inputs!

Shimano Hubs are freaking bulletproof (with a weight penalty).

if you decide you don't want them, PM me. or if you post them in the classifieds they'll be gone quickly.

eippo1
12-16-2016, 02:02 PM
I have a set laced to some WTB Frequency CX rims and really like the CL hub setup. As others have said a bit heavier than others, but make for a really nice wheel.

Clancy
12-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Agree, Shimano hubs tend to be less zooty then many others, tad heavier too. But I believe they have a sense of old school elegance and are so perfectly engineered, that when you consider how inexpensive they are, they are simply great. I have a set of the CX-75's, they laced up great, look good, and spin perfectly.