PDA

View Full Version : Cross bike fit

CaptStash
12-15-2016, 04:13 PM
OK, so I have had this 54cm Redline cross bike that I can't seem to sell, so it occurred to me to play with it and see if I could make it fit. I have long legs and avery short torso, and until recently had been riding a 57 with a short stem. Moved to a 56 and realized I like more saddle to bar drop, so I'm happy. The cross bike with a 120cm 6 degree stem sloped up seems to work, even if it is ugly, but there is a saddle to bar drop closer to what road racer types typically ride.

My question is, for cross racing (which I am curious about), how are bikes typically set up? Is there a standard of any sort, or is it like road cycling, and based on flexibility and comfort?

Thanks.

Saul aka CaptStash....

.RJ
12-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Compared to my road bikes, my CX bikes have generally had less saddle-bar drop (higher bars), shorter (10mm) stem and wider bars.

YMMV.

Tony
12-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Compared to my road bikes, my CX bikes have generally had less saddle-bar drop (higher bars), shorter (10mm) stem and wider bars.

YMMV.

Same...higher bars, shorter reach, saddle slightly back, and a bit wider on the bars.

.RJ
12-15-2016, 07:36 PM
I find that the difference in fit helps in the slower & more technical corners found on a CX course, and also helps generate some of the low cadence power. My saddle is the same height/setback as road/mtb.

I could also be full of ****, but, that's what I do.

shovelhd
12-15-2016, 07:46 PM
My cross bike is the same size as my road bike, and is set up the same. The fit difference is entirely in the frame geometry.

Mzilliox
12-15-2016, 07:53 PM
my bars are up slightly higher than on my road bike. i find it helps me see lines better to be more upright, and climb up steep bits out of the saddle easier. YMMv

classtimesailer
12-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Shorter saddle height and reach--each by 1cm.

livingminimal
12-16-2016, 06:22 AM
My fit is almost the same. I use a 0* thomson 110 stem, which brings a slight difference in drop for me, but saddle height and everything else is the same or very close. I use 46cm bars on everything, but the ones going on my new cross bike are slightly more flared.

AJosiahK
12-16-2016, 06:27 AM
My numbers are fairly similar to that off my road bike. Maybe slightly less differential or drop. Oh and a step wider on the drop bars. I think the bike, as its designed, for cx racing will do what its meant to do once your on it. Positioning yourself on that bike in the right spot helps too, especially with center of balance and efficiency.

CaptStash
12-16-2016, 07:15 AM
This is all good. I think I am pretty close to something that will work; or at least something I can start with. A steeper stem would bring the bars up, so I have that option. t\The only issue may be the long stem, but considering that I am just dipping my toes in the water, I think that i will be ok for now.

Thanks guys!

CaptStash....

nooneline
12-16-2016, 08:45 AM
My saddle is lower and further back, to optimize for more glute-focused, low-rpm muscular-endurance pedaling.

Other than that, what other people said - reach a bit shorter, bars a bit higher. Nothing drastic. You still want good weight distribution, which includes some weight over the front wheel. Raise the bars too much, or shorten the stem too much, and you'll compromise that.

fignon's barber
12-16-2016, 02:25 PM
I seem to be the opposite. My cross bars are lower than my road bars (my Ridley x-night has a12cm ht) because most of the time you ride on the hoods in cross, while on the road I mostly ride in the drops.

chromopromo
12-16-2016, 04:08 PM
I raced a 56 Redline frame and it fit perfect. My road set-up has 57.5 top tube with a 120 stem so you should be able to make the 54 work if your road bike is a 57 and a short stem. Like the others, I run with slightly less reach and drop on my cross bike.