PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Have Low Blood Pressure?

znfdl
07-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Since we have been discussing various ailments on the forum, I thought that I would ask about low blood pressure.

My blood pressure lately has been 100/58 range. This is probably on the low side for a 45 year old male that could shed an extra 10 pounds.

However this morning when I got out of bed, I litterally fell back down into bed. I took my blood pressure and it was 90/50 with a pulse rate in the low 50s. I am off to the doctor to get a professional opinion. I keep myself well hydrated and use a lot of salt and electrolyte replacements.

Just curious if people have similar blood pressure levels.

ThomasAylesbury
07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
I have very similar numbers, however I am 5'4" 130 lbs. I have been to docs and been cleared. Tom

Too Tall
07-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Open eyes...wiggle toes...wiggle feet...get up slowly...grab something solid...see life flash before your eyes...brush teeth.

Welcome to VasovagalWorld

Fat Robert
07-28-2006, 10:17 AM
i'm six feet and a half (1m 84cm)

resting pulse 32

bp 100/60

i've broken my nose and had a concussion twice from getting up too quickly in the middle of the night to take a pee

now i'm a little more deliberate about getting up slowly

but yeah

my doc says everything is fine

PaulE
07-28-2006, 10:40 AM
The first time I got up to pee and passed out, I landed on my butt on the bedroom floor and thought it was kind of interesting and then forgot about it. A couple of months later, I passed out again after getting up in the morning to pee. This time I woke up as my nose smashed into the bathroom floor. Didn't break it, six stitches from a plastic surgeon and there's no visible scar. Went to my doctor who sent me to a cardiologist.

I'm 6 ft 2 in and my blood pressure is in the 100/60 range and my resting heart rate is around 45. The cardiologist put me on 12.5 mg of atenelol per day. Although this is a high blood pressure medicine, it is a beta blocker and sends a signal to the receptors to stop the blood pressure from dropping too much. As the cardiologist explained it to me, when you get up fast, your heart rate rises, and then the brain says, hey wait a minute, we don't need this and shuts things back down, but too much. The beta blocker stops things from shutting down too much. Now I can get up and have that dizzy feeling, but I don't pass out.

The doctor also wants me to put salt on everything I eat. I was never a big salt user, but now I like it, especially on a steak or hamburger.

With the atenelol, my max heart rate is about 10 bpm lower than it is without it.

lemondsteel
07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I have posted about my episode of clots in the legs and lungs. I too have low blood pressure, a resting rate in the low 50's and in addition I have an irregular heart rythym. It misses beats quiet often when I exhale and then slams real hard to get working again. Tends to wake me up at night. The doc say all of these can contribute to my being able to have clots. I am told I have to exercise regulary and after hard days on the bike I need to be sure to walk alot. (I now always takes stairs as opposed to elevators) Seems to be a simple remedy of making sure I am not sedentary, never cross my legs for any length of time and stay active.

POINT IS...... it seems to be if you have low blood pressure and a slow resting heart rate it can increase your risk of clots!

Frustration
07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Same signs (except no passing out).

40 years old 145 lbs with not much to lose. Resting in the 40's bp in high 90's over low 50's...

I went to a couple docs for chest pain, but mentioned the dizzy thing and they notices the heart rate and BP on their own.

They did full tests, stress echo, checked all the tubes etc... Nada. The chest pain was a cartilage thing from rapid and extreme chest expansion.

They said they had seen a lot of athletes for low BP and dizzy and is not a problem for the most part.

Tailwinds
07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
My BP and resting pulse are similar to yours. It doesn't seem to alarm my doctors.

MartyE
07-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Avg bp is 100/58, resting HR 62 bpm. 5'8 and about 150 (+-3 pounds)
I do at times get light headed when I stand quickly.
I've always seen this as a result of riding alot. . .
Doctor seems to agree and doesn't feel that it is necessasarily a problem.

marty

Frustration
07-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Avg bp is 100/58, resting HR 62 bpm. 5'8 and about 150 (+-3 pounds)
I do at times get light headed when I stand quickly.
I've always seen this as a result of riding alot. . .
Doctor seems to agree and doesn't feel that it is necessasarily a problem.

marty

Mine actually said "it might bother you, but it beats the hell out of the problems that the next 2,000 patients I see are having because they don't have a well oiled, high capacity Cardi system"...

gone
07-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm 6'2", 175 lbs and my BP normally runs low 100s/mid-upper 50s with a resting HR of 39. When I had surgery recently and was in recovery (not conscious) the monitoring system kept going off because my HR was too low. They scared the bejeezus out of my wife when they paged her over the PA system and told her there was a "problem". When they told her what it was she told them no worries, he's an endurance athlete.

They wouldn't give me any pain meds until my BP got over 110/60. Ouch. After a while, I got so mad it helped the BP go up :)

FWIW, I also get light headed when I jump out of bed quickly though I've never fainted. Lesson learned: don't do that. Doctor says keep on keepin' on.

Fixed
07-28-2006, 02:11 PM
bro robert I'm your carbon copy imho
cheers

znfdl
07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Everyone:

Thanks for the feedback. Doc said my EKG was fine and the only thing that he could was to ask me have a table tilt test. I am thinking that this would be a waste of money, so I will stick to getting up more slowly. I do not want to have the same episodes as Fat Robert.

My Doc measured my BP at 97/60, but this was after 3 cups of caffeine.

Fat Robert
07-28-2006, 03:48 PM
bro robert I'm your carbon copy imho
cheers

does that make me the transparent white sheet you throw away?

AgilisMerlin
07-28-2006, 05:11 PM
i just **** myself when reading this entry................i am part of this cursed brother hood............had my drivers license and head scanned because of this condition..........found nothing and told me to sit when peeing at night or morning.............gawd damn...............this is what i get for being fit......jeez :)

Definition of Micturition syncope

Micturition syncope: The temporary loss of consciousness upon urinating. (Syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness or, in plain English, fainting). The situations that trigger this reaction are diverse and include having blood drawn, straining while urinating (micturition syncope) or defecating or coughing or swallowing). The reaction also can be due to the emotional stress of fear or pain.

Under these conditions, people often become pale and feel nauseated, sweaty, and weak just before they lose consciousness.

Situational syncope is caused by a reflex of the involuntary nervous system called the vasovagal reaction. The vasovagal reaction leads the heart to slow down (bradycardia) and, at the same time, it leads the nerves to the blood vessels in the legs to permit those vessels to dilate (widen). The result is that the heart puts out less blood, the blood pressure drops, and what blood is circulating tends to go into the legs rather than to the head. The brain is then deprived of oxygen, and the fainting episode occurs.

The vasovagal reaction is also called a vasovagal attack. And situational syncope is also called vasovagal syncope, vasodepressor syncope, and Gower syndrome after Sir William Richard Gower (1845-1915), a famous English neurologist whose name is also associated with a sign, a solution, another syndrome, and a tract in the central nervous system.