PDA

View Full Version : Steel Argon 18

TunaAndBikes
12-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Quickly convincing myself this would be a great bike for road rides as a, erm, complement to my current cross machine.
Please, for the love of god, convince me this is not perfect, and that i'm indeed painting skies pink. :help:

Handmade by Marinoni,
Chrome seatstays and fork,
Panto everywhere (matching my birthday too1)
Possible clearance for 28s with definite 25s...
Worst part is; it's my size.

http://daveloce.ca/produit/argon-18-debut-1990-fait-a-la-main-par-marinoni/

Tickdoc
12-15-2016, 11:05 AM
well isn't that pretty! (only needs campy to be better, imo, but just gorgeous)

Here's a three part answer to your question....buy the bike, ride the bike, keep the bike.

If it doesn't fulfill, it would not be a hard one to dispose of.

Hat
12-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Nice bike but definitely overpriced for the condition and parts build.

Tickdoc
12-15-2016, 11:11 AM
btw, perused that sight and they have some $20 leather bartape that looks really nice.

DarkStar
12-15-2016, 01:02 PM
First it's built by Marinoni, and a very lovely bike, but I think the price is a bit steep. Search Kijij you can find any number of Marinoni's for a lot less. My touring 531 'noni with Gipemme triple crank, hubs, HS, and Modolo brakes set me back $350. Keep searching, but if you really dig this bike go for it!
Here's an example.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-velo-de-route/laval-rive-nord/marinoni-piuma-medium/1214989024?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

TunaAndBikes
12-15-2016, 01:34 PM
I bought my first road bike at 130$ : 54 square Marinoni Special with 105 and rsx shifters.
Price for the Argon is definitely off the hook considering it's true intrinsic value , but it's still a bike that fizzles me deep and that I won't get to see too often!
Although, truth be told, its charm is quickly wearing off as i'm imagining myself having buyers remorse in the middle of winter :bike:

ultraman6970
12-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Super nice bike. Hope somebody buys it.

How many of those steel ones might have been made??

TunaAndBikes
12-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Not many, they were custom orders from Gervais Riousx to Marinoni. The few i ever see are beaters in the streets, which makes me a bit sad, especially when they're in winter fixie mode.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

weisan
12-19-2016, 03:43 PM
btw, perused that sight and they have some $20 leather bartape that looks really nice.

Good price indeed but...

Shipping to USA
There are no shipping methods available. Please double check your address, or contact us if you need any help.

eak12
12-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Not many, they were custom orders from Gervais Riousx to Marinoni. The few i ever see are beaters in the streets, which makes me a bit sad, especially when they're in winter fixie mode.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Actually, lots of these are around. Marinoni did many subcontracts, including all the early steel Argon 18's, Desmarais, Gianelli's, and recent Bertrands.

eak12
12-19-2016, 04:38 PM

PU, not full real leather. I'd bet this is not Handlebra or Brooks quality. Curious if anyone has used this stuff before?

oldguy00
12-19-2016, 10:22 PM
I used to have one in team evian paint. Loved it!

Robbos
12-20-2016, 06:29 AM
That's really overpriced. I owned one, and my experience is shared by other Guiseppe built Argons: super nervous crit geo. Nothing wrong with that, but I didn't Grove to the super nervous handling.

TunaAndBikes
12-20-2016, 08:15 AM
It's cool to have access to this volume of knowledge on forums such as this one, I wouldn't have believed to have feedback on how their bikes ride.

On another note, I do understand the price is high, but comparing to some De Rosa, Colnago or Tommasini floating on the bay (which are probably overpriced too), the craftsmanship and quality are, ATMO, the same.
Is there any reason why these bikes could have such high value other than brand history and such?

velomateo
12-20-2016, 10:59 AM
I didn't know these existed, very cool frame. I have to agree though, priced a bit steep for the condition and parts group.

I would buy it.

Pierre
12-20-2016, 11:11 AM
waaaaay too expensive given components and state of paint.