PDA

View Full Version : Time for a change?

jwprolo
07-28-2006, 09:25 AM
So now that we have gone a year, and under the opinion and perception of the public, WADA and for the most part the UCI, we have not had a "real" grand tour winner, is it time for a change in the way anti-doping policy is applied? Regardless of how one feels about the ethics and importance of anti-doping controls, it is clear that if the intent is to reduce or eliminate doping, the current procedures seem to be ineffective, and should be thrown out.

To me, it is not unlike the US's current "war on drugs." I think most enlightened people see it as a failure. I place the blame of the fact that the basis is faulty; the policies were created by politicians and military member, rather than public health professionals. Controlled substance abuse is not a legal/political issue but rather a medical/public health issue, atmo. I see "general" Pound attempting to make it purely a fight, and his philosophy appears to be failing. I'm not smart enough, or connected enough to the issue to know of a better solution, but it seems that what we have now isn't helping.

BdaGhisallo
07-28-2006, 10:25 AM
The cold reality is that we will never eliminate "it", whether the "it" we speak of is doping in cycling, cheating in baseball, financial fraud or any other type of malfeasance in life. Sadly, it is in our nature to seek every advantage in the pursuit of what we want.

The crime of murder. perhaps, is the act that the human species - or at least the post-enlightenment western societies - have tried most to discourage, by levelling our most draconian punishments upon those who transgress. However, while that may have minimised its incidence, it certainly hasn't eliminated it.

For those who say that doping is against the rules of the sport and those who participate in it should abide by it, please take a dose of reality. That will never happen in totality. There will always be some folks willing to take the risks for potentially huge rewards. Again, it's human nature.

Holding on to cars in the mountains is also against the rules of cycling, but pros get caught all the time for it.

I would love for cycling to be a dope and cheat-free sport, but I know it ain't ever going to happen, so I just love it for what it is: a great human drama providing lots of entertainment and an insight into what the human engine is capable of.

jwprolo
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm not arguing that a better plan would eliminate doping. I am just saying that the powers that be think they can eliminate doping, and are attempting to eliminate doping. The current plan doesn't seem to be working at all. Maybe it's time to try something different. Your murder analogy is nearly exactly what I am saying--you can't just have punishment for those who are caught and expect it to be an adequate deterrent. In the poorest parts of this country (US) the deterrent is not even considered, so why not try to institute a better program? Urban areas that have been inventive with intervention programs have had success (anecdotal evidence, I admit that I have no ready proof of this.)

Ti Designs
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Simple solution - take the money out of it and the reason for cheating goes with it. I didn't watch the Tour de France, haven't seen the tour for the last three years. I just don't see the point, riders who I don't know racing where I don't ride. Then you add the pressure of pro racing and cheating is to be expected. Sure, they are the best in the world, but there's no point in arguing who is the best (the whole point of racing) when half of them get booted before the race starts and others fail drug tests along the way.

Local racing is real racing - riders of all levels and abilities putting everything they have into it. The money isn't there, the OLN coverage isn't there, the cheating isn't there either. More to the point, I find myself as a true part of what's going on. I raced for 15 years, I coach riders now (nothing on TV even comes close to seeing your rider do well). Hell, anyone can work the feed zone at one of these local races. That gets you into the action - the rider you're feeding will tell you want their tactics are so you know what to expect - did Floyd phone anyone here to tell them that???

Racing is top heavy - look back at the thread about pro's salaries if you need proof. One guy is the top dog and everyone wants a piece of him. That guy for the last 7 years was Lance. I hear that a winning "Ride with Lance" scratch ticket sold of $10K - that's just stupid. Everybody in the sport knows that if you make it to the top level you get the money and the fame, if not you get nothing. I say give a lot more to those who put in the real effort but would otherwise get nothing from it. Watch local racing, put a few dollars up for a prime in the lower catagories.

The alternative is to invest in drug companies...

Fixed
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
welcome to the 21 st century
cheers