PDA

View Full Version : OT - Please recommend a tablet!

oldguy00
12-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Looking for some quick recommendations for tablets for the kids as Xmas gifts...

Looking for 8" or larger.
Not looking to spend $$ on an Ipad.

So those that I've been browsing online:
Asus Zenpad (multiple models)
Samsung Galaxy Tab (multiple models)
Amazon fire?? (know nothing baout these)
Lenovo Tab 10?

Requirements:
1. Wifi and ability to surf web, stream youtube, etc
2. Ability to put movies on it (MP4, WMV, etc) via a SD card or cable from PC.

Thanks!!!!

pbarry
12-15-2016, 07:53 AM
Zenpad 10 has many features, nice screen, plenty fast for what you want. I have not loaded any movies on it, but it should work via micro SD--there is no USB input. A bit thin, so I prefer a case on it. With any tablet, get the drops and spills warranty. ;)

eddief
12-15-2016, 08:14 AM
https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS_Chromebook_Flip_C100PA/

old fat man
12-15-2016, 08:28 AM
https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS_Chromebook_Flip_C100PA/

Are these expandable? Stock 16g storage seems very limiting, especially if intending to store movies or music to enjoy while offline (traveling in the car or plane)

eddief
12-15-2016, 08:55 AM
just the card slot.
review:

http://www.pcmag.com/review/336536/asus-chromebook-flip-c100pa-db02

"There's only a 16GB eMMC for local storage, which is common for less-expensive chromebooks, but it's not that much of a hindrance, considering the reliance on Google Drive and apps like Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. The Flip comes with an offer for 100GB of Google Drive cloud storage (free for two years), and between the USB ports and the microSD card slot, there are plenty of options for local storage as well. Asus covers the Chromebook Flip (C100PA-DB02) with a one-year warranty."

Are these expandable? Stock 16g storage seems very limiting, especially if intending to store movies or music to enjoy while offline (traveling in the car or plane)

joosttx
12-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Do not get a surface. THey suck.

old fat man
12-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Do not get a surface. THey suck.

I've heard the surface pro is a good option though. multiple "power" users I work with have replaced their laptops with a surface pro and do not regret it.

MRB
12-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Lenovo Tab 10?
^ This!

* Meets requirements you listed plus:
* Good Sound (dual rear facing speakers / Dolby / etc.
* Good Display (Movies and PDF's install a PDF reader app)
* Chrome is super fast on this.

CAVEAT:

- Be careful taking updates for the OS, or it can become a brick.
It comes with Marshmallow 6.0. Update it to 6.01 and call it good.

- It does not have "bleeding-edge" wifi capabilities such as AC. Hence the price. But my home does not have WiFi infrastructure capabilities beyond "N"

HTH

benb
12-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Just get an iPad... the mini is cheap and is 8".

I've been through this.. I've owned 2 Android tablets.

The iPad is cheaper because it will last far longer. At least 2X as long as the useful life of the Androids. And it will have a much much better trade in value.

My wife used her iPad 2 for 5 years, it cost $500 in 2011. It only started getting annoying very late in the period we had it. She got $75 for it at the apple store when she traded in. We actually had someone give us another iPad 2 last year that we let our son play with. It can't handle the 3D games today and it isn't running iOS 10 (it was supported on current software till fall 2016 but is now not supported), but it can still do almost everything except 3D games. It is noticeably slow compared to a brand new iPad but still very useable.

It came out to $85/yr.

I bought an Asus android tablet around the time she got the iPad 2.. it was equal in price to the iPad 2 ($500)... it was unsupported by mid 2012.. and never worth anything on used market. I bought another Android tablet in 2013, another $300. That one is an Amazon tablet and they actually did a much better job on keeping it up to date, it still works. But it doesn't do 1/2 of what an iPad does, there are essentially 0 tablet optimized apps compared to iOS. Everything is basically a blown up phone app. If I traded in the Amazon tablet it's worth $10 or something.

I learned my lesson and bought an iPad this year.

Security on iOS is far far better as well.. the only thing that is possibly close is a Nexus device/Pixel device. But I don't know that Google is actually selling anything current. (Note that's my professional opinion as a software developer in the security space, not a user level opinion.) Several places I've worked have had blanket bans on Android devices connecting to the corporate Wifi networks, etc.. due to the security concerns.

PQJ
12-15-2016, 10:44 AM
What benb said.

Re: Amazon Fire, it is even more "my way or the highway" than Apple products. Plus, it's basically a genius marketing tool intended to get you to give more of your $$ to AMZN.

paredown
12-15-2016, 10:56 AM
I'm currently convalescing so I got my Christmas toy early. I have limited experience with tablets but my lovely wife picked up a Lenovo Yoga Tab3 on a super deal on Amazon. 8" model. Only 16 gb storage, 1gb ram with a micro-sd, and the nice USB charge port can accept some devices...

It gets mixed reviews, but the design is elegant, streaming is great, sound ( Dolby) is good. The ergonomics are as good as Frog Design era Apple.

Google is of course bent on world domination, so that's even more annoying than Apple...

$94 on Cyber Monday week....

old fat man
12-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Considering a chrome book for the wife. Where do people like to buy from? With potential for defects out of the box, I want easy returns and support. I would do Costco, but their options are limited

makoti
12-16-2016, 10:18 AM
I have & love a Samsung Galaxy S tab. Couple of years old, now. Great little thing. Nice screen for reading & watch movies. Expandable MicroSD slot, wifi. Can get on a network, but I don't bother with that.

TimD
12-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Awesome.

pbarry
12-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Considering a chrome book for the wife. Where do people like to buy from? With potential for defects out of the box, I want easy returns and support. I would do Costco, but their options are limited

B&H is my go to source for tech items, and they are great with returns. However, if you are concerned about a defective unit, maybe a local brick and mortar is the way to go.

merlinmurph
12-16-2016, 10:41 AM
What kind of phone do you have?
Are you already committed to Android or Apple?
If you have an Android phone, get an Android tablet. Same for Apple. You'll be able to easily share all your info easily between the devices.

I have a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab that I really like, and also have a Samsung phone.

My 2 cents

p nut
12-16-2016, 10:45 AM

If I can buy electronics at Costco, I usually do. Easy returns, and extended warranty.

I just went through the PC vs Mac dilemma myself (for wife's xmas gift). My original iPad that's several years old works perfectly (albeit slow for today's standards). PC laptops and other tablets...didn't fair so well. So ended up buying a MacBook Air. It'll be worth the premium in the end (which actually didn't end up being that much comparing apples/apples).

drewellison
12-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Someone over at bikeforums has an older iPad for sale.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/1091789-improve-your-c-v-viewing-ipad-air-retina.html

No relation, interest, don't know the guy, no can I vouch for whether it's a good deal or not. Just passing along an option.

trener1
12-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Another vote for B&H, but I have also bought some stuff from Best Buy when I wanted something local, they are very good with support/returns.
Some good deals can be had for a iPad mini 2, I just bought one.

pbarry
12-17-2016, 04:33 PM
What kind of phone do you have?
Are you already committed to Android or Apple?
If you have an Android phone, get an Android tablet. Same for Apple. You'll be able to easily share all your info easily between the devices.

I have a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab that I really like, and also have a Samsung phone.

My 2 cents

A friend just recommended this app to me:

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Allows transferring files between Android devices and Mac computers. I just downloaded it and will report back.

Edit: Cannot access the "gallery" on my 4.0 Droid Maxx, probably because it's loaded with Verizon apps, and not a pure Droid. Will try the Nexus later.

weisan
12-17-2016, 06:09 PM

We have three Acer C720 Chromebooks in the household. These are older chromebooks but have proven to be super reliable, long battery life, good wireless capabilities, light weight enough to carry around, and everything we needed for surfing the web, watching Netflix. Storage limitations are overcome by external USB hard drives/flash drives, Google Drive or if you are technically handy, swap out the internal SSD with one that has a bigger volume, which I did. Google docs solved the problem with word processing, excel spreadsheets and such. Just about the only two shortcomings I have run into using Chromebooks are lack of graphics processing capabilities (Photoshop) and ability to play DVDs. There are online apps that can do some graphics stuff but nothing heavy duty. But if I am going to do a whole lot of graphics processing, I would prefer to use my much more powerful desktop machine any way, so pick the right tool for the right job, stop making unrealistic demands to be all things to all people. DVDs are rarely missed because we mostly watch videos on Netflix and Amazon Primes these days. But I just want to point those out.

I am a big fan of Chromebooks. They are the right choice for a lot of the stuff that we do. My younger children age 3 to 11 loved them! The older ones have their own laptops.

I bought our first one as a refurbished unit through Groupon for about $100. I like it so much that I went on eBay and bought two more, both are "fixer-upper", one required a new LCD screen and the other a new battery. By then, I have developed enough confidence to open the thing up and do my own repairs. All said and done, I paid about $50 each including replacement parts. I consider that a good deal. Will do that again in a heartbeat...but we already got three Chromebooks, one can't be too greedy. :D

merlinmurph
12-18-2016, 08:27 AM
A friend just recommended this app to me:

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Allows transferring files between Android devices and Mac computers. I just downloaded it and will report back.

Actually, what I meant was data in the cloud that your devices sync with and share. For example, apps, contacts, email, photos, etc. The native apps are seamless between devices. I'm sure there are ways to sync info between the different OS's, it's just easier when sticking to one OS.

joosttx
12-18-2016, 08:32 AM
I've heard the surface pro is a good option though. multiple "power" users I work with have replaced their laptops with a surface pro and do not regret it.

I will be happy to sell mine to you for the price of a turd. They suck. Basically the only thing I think are worse are cotton mouths.

pbarry
12-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Actually, what I meant was data in the cloud that your devices sync with and share. For example, apps, contacts, email, photos, etc. The native apps are seamless between devices. I'm sure there are ways to sync info between the different OS's, it's just easier when sticking to one OS.

I get that completely, and in no way was suggesting the app mentioned would take the place of iCloud and similar synching with like OS devices. It might be enuf for some that occasionally need to transfer files, like images, from a tablet that is not used as a work device, to their PC.

gavin
06-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Here are different size tablet list http://pc4u.org/best-laptop-under-200-dollars/