PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Assos winter tights

Ohdoom
12-14-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm an Assos bibs fan. Only ride the t equipe s7 and the tiburu insulated bib shorts. For winter, I have been using the insulated bibshorts with leg warmers. Below 30 I tend to put pad less tights on over it all. Was hoping to hear some feedback on stand alone winter tights that Assos offers. I would like to have some for when temps drop and not have to layer so much.

Thanks!

christian
12-14-2016, 08:47 AM
I like them for very very cold days, but the windblocker makes them not as stretchy as Rapha winter tights, which I prefer for temps above -5c.

Climb01742
12-14-2016, 08:47 AM
A few years ago, my lovely and generous Mrs. gave me a pair as a gift. Without doubt, they're the warmest tights I've ever ridden in. Even in windchill that's near zero, they keep your legs and private bits warm. Thing is, when it's around freezing, they're kinda overkill, keeping you too toasty. For most rides, Boure tights are just the ticket, but for seriously cold or windy days, Assos can't be beaten.

ltwtsculler91
12-14-2016, 08:57 AM
I ride a similar set up down to about 35, Tiburu shorts and leg warmers. Below that the Bonka are incredible. Warm and comfortable down to about 20 for me. Below that and it's time to pull out the fat bike

Ohdoom
12-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. So the bonka for ~20-30s? F. Which tights were you guys referring to earlie That may be too warm? Assos has a few. Also, I'm a big rapha fan but the bibs I've tried don't have nearly the nice junk pocket as my Assos. Can you guys comment on the rapha VS Assos as well if you recommend them ? Thanks all!

christian
12-14-2016, 09:39 AM
I use the old Assos Airblock tights (https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/knickers-tights/airblock-tights-titan) down to 10d F or lower. Hopeless above 25 though. My Rapha 25-37d F tights are the "Winter" not "Deep Winter tights."

Mikej
12-14-2016, 09:41 AM
Bonka habu or bonka fugu?

ltwtsculler91
12-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. So the bonka for ~20-30s? F. Which tights were you guys referring to earlie That may be too warm? Assos has a few. Also, I'm a big rapha fan but the bibs I've tried don't have nearly the nice junk pocket as my Assos. Can you guys comment on the rapha VS Assos as well if you recommend them ? Thanks all!

Never ridden Rapha, as the fit doesn't work as well for me..

20-30s I'd go with Bonkas for sure or maybe the Mille if you run hot. Mille is similar construction just double roubaix-type fabric on the front rather than wind block.

Another option to look at is the Capo Padrone tights. These are my other really cold weather set of bibs and I think they rock in that range as well. Windblocker over knees and part of thighs then double roubaix lining above along with a nice pad

Climb01742
12-14-2016, 10:40 AM
I use the old Assos Airblock tights (https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/knickers-tights/airblock-tights-titan) down to 10d F or lower. Hopeless above 25 though. My Rapha 25-37d F tights are the "Winter" not "Deep Winter tights."

Yep, these are what I have, too. They're the Siberian Express model.;)

berserk87
12-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Yeah - the "Deep Winter" in "Deep Winter Tights" is referring to a UK deep winter, not a Midwestern US deep winter. The Limeys don't get the winters that we do.

The pair I have are really nice and I love the fit but I don't use them below about 28 degrees. Below that I use the Pearl Izumi Amfib tights, which I think are the best cold weather bid tight on the market, for the money.

Ohdoom
12-14-2016, 02:50 PM
thanks guys. I will take a look at the bonkas and the capos. I likely will stay with assos as they have not let me down.

Ohdoom
12-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Christian, many thanks for the link!

12-14-2016, 07:36 PM
The old Airblocks are amazing and really have a very versatile range of temperature. They aren't as stretchy as some of the non-laminated fabrics, but they keep rain, wind, and cold off you. You can still find some NOS Airblocks on eBay and elsewhere. if you can find them in your size, grab them.

Also, consider using something like the Habu chamois-less tights over your bibs. It's a very warm solution for the crotch and abdomen, while allowing you a little bit of breathability for the lower thighs and calves. And they are superbly stretchy so you aren't really aware you're wearing a pair of tights. No chamois, so it relies on your regular bibs for that, but it gives you a better chance of riding on something you can be really comfortable in. A sore butt makes cold weather an utter misery, especially if it's wet (in which case your clothing gets wet) or windy (in which case you can't be out of the saddle as much and any discomfort just grinds in). They are also quite affordable.

beeemmjay
01-04-2017, 10:58 AM
I don't do a lot of cold weather/winter riding, but when I do, I have a pair of padded Cervo Rosso bib tights that do the trick. There is a light fleece lining which does a pretty decent job of cutting the cold; but the shammy leaves something to be desired (certainly compared to my bib shorts).
So, when looking at new winter tights, layering non-padded tights over tested bib shorts seems to be the right answer... but isn't wearing two bib suspenders really uncomfortable?
Am I missing something, or is this just the norm and you get used to it?
What's standard practice?

christian
01-04-2017, 11:17 AM
but isn't wearing two bib suspenders really uncomfortable?
Am I missing something, or is this just the norm and you get used to it?
What's standard practice?Yes, that's what you do. Not uncomfortable. Frankly, I don't think I've ever thought about it before this post.

verbs4us
01-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Love me the Bonka, a few years old (I think s5?). Like Climb said, a little too warm from mid-30s and up. Toasty to the twenties, with no wind pants underneath. They tend to run snug and need to be yanked up your leg a bit. I come in at a whopping 130 pounds and the small is a wee bit snug. Next time I might opt for the medium. Best winter tights I ever tried.