PDA

View Full Version : effete water snob

Ken Robb
07-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks to DBRK Les and I now crave European mineral water-jeez--what used to be free from the tap now costs about as much as BEER!!!

Douglas served us Peligrino--yum!
We bought some retail--a big mistake.

Costco sells Perrier at Scots' acceptable pricing> Les likes it--I think it's skunky-tasting. Maybe OK for Tom Byrnes to use to wash his Ottrot but I don't want to drink it.

What's a cheapskate to do??

More beer, I think. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Fat Robert
07-28-2006, 05:49 AM
tap water snob here

i never...never...get water from the BP on the corner of 21 and 324 anymore.

took me about ten times, but i figured out that somethin in that water gives me the farts and some nasty craps the next day.

the water at the chester kum-n-go is first rate, and so are the teenage girls behind the counter

dbrk
07-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Okay, Robb outed me that I very much like San Pellegrino, the "con gasse" water from Italy. I've always liked it in Italy when they ask you if you want your acqua "con gasse" or "naturale." There's something peurile that runs through my head every time I answer...Anyway, I try not to use it to clean the bike. I think it's the high mineral content plus the fuzzy that makes me love the taste and gives the impression (reality is not being confused here) of thirst-quenching. I get a fair amount of flak for having no interest, desire, or pallette for recovery drinks and other high-tech kool-aid that people put in their water bottles. On the road I drink only the water out of the faucet or a bottle of what is cheap at the QuickyMart. I'm a friction shifter when it comes to water as well. I want to feel the shift, not just index along thoughtlessly.

dbrk

Fat Robert
07-28-2006, 06:16 AM
I'm a friction shifter when it comes to water as well. I want to feel the shift, not just index along thoughtlessly.

dbrk

come down here and drink a few bottles of the 324 and 21 BP water

you'll feel things shift, all right

Too Tall
07-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Queen and myself have a weakness for these ridiculous expensive bottles of nothing...cold, refreshing nothing :) To answer your question, buy a large Brita filter for the 'fridge. For whatever reason it works.

dbrk
07-28-2006, 06:26 AM
come down here and drink a few bottles of the 324 and 21 BP water

you'll feel things shift, all right

Robert in the 70s we used to call this the "India weight loss program." You'll remember I spent years and years there doing my research back before the Internet and even mostly telephones (Western Union was the only fast way to communicate...otherwise it was life in the slow lane...I learned to love it...anyway). The program was simple: drink the water, wait, wait, explode, wait, explode...eventually take the vile medicine and in the few days it takes to get better you've lost a whole winter's worth of useless body fat, you are as sleek as a MicheleFerrrai programmer and the power to weight ratio is off the charts. I was a skinny skinny bike racer on those return trips. Back when cranks said AUM and George Harrison was getting sued for He's So Fine. I still listen to my favorite Beatle with those fond memories but I stay away from the weight loss program's highlights.

Send me a bottle. I could use a good flushing.

yers,

dbrk

Kevan
07-28-2006, 06:32 AM
has to be some of the best stuff running from our lead pipes.

But at the dinner table with good friends, a nice bottle of red hooch, and some crusty bread, I'm with you on the Pell con gasse.

Delicious.

BBB
07-28-2006, 06:34 AM
You ain't tried bad water from a civilised western county until you try tap water from Adelaide. Best to get ran water, a filter or pay for the fizzy stuff at the supermarket.

JohnS
07-28-2006, 06:44 AM
The Detroit area is supposed to have the best tap water around and I believe it. That's all I drink. Must be something to do with being surrounded by the Great Lakes. :)

Grant McLean
07-28-2006, 06:56 AM
I used to ride home with a case on the handlebars
almost every week, now I just get it delivered!

g

:) avatar

nick0137
07-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Bottled water (and I confess I drink a lot of S. Pellegrino - even wear the wool jersey sometimes) is a sure sign of the decline and fall of the decadent West. I came to this realisation when sitting in a (very, very nice) hotel in Dubai and noticing that the bottled water being served came from Norway. Norway FFS! Water, flown from Scandinavia all the way to Dubai to be served to an English guy who could and should have been told to have desalinated stuff like the locals. It'll be the end of us, I tell ya....

Grant McLean
07-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Bottled water (and I confess I drink a lot of S. Pellegrino - even wear the wool jersey sometimes) is a sure sign of the decline and fall of the decadent West. I came to this realisation when sitting in a (very, very nice) hotel in Dubai and noticing that the bottled water being served came from Norway. Norway FFS! Water, flown from Scandinavia all the way to Dubai to be served to an English guy who could and should have been told to have desalinated stuff like the locals. It'll be the end of us, I tell ya....

yes, but VOSS comes in a cool bottle.

g

e-RICHIE
07-28-2006, 07:31 AM
my consumption -
minimum 3 liters per day
of san pellegrino atmo.

catulle
07-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Er, I like fancy water too. The gas, well, the gas is something else, atmo...

davep
07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
When my wife and I started dating, she would bring bottled water to my apartment - she hated tap water. Now I'm a tap water guy, so when the water bottle was empty I filled it up with tap water. She drank it happily for months before I told her. Its still a sore point.......

catulle
07-28-2006, 09:53 AM
When my wife and I started dating, she would bring bottled water to my apartment - she hated tap water. Now I'm a tap water guy, so when the water bottle was empty I filled it up with tap water. She drank it happily for months before I told her. Its still a sore point.......

I know the feeling. My wife buys and drinks the Volvic. I usually just keep a bottle of Volvic with tap water in the fridge for when I come back from a ride. After all, I got to get some return on my investment, atmo.

tulli
07-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Gerolsteiner is yummy and they support cycling.

dbrk
07-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Gerolsteiner is yummy and they support cycling.

But San Pellegrino is often on the Giro route, a lovely town with nary a tourist in sight.

Our tap water comes from the well buried underneath our lamp post in the front yard. Our septic field is the LUSH green patch of excessive grass behind the house. Well up front, septic field rear: no matter what you drink, keep things going in the right direction.

dbrk

catulle
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
But San Pellegrino is often on the Giro route, a lovely town with nary a tourist in sight.

Our tap water comes from the well buried underneath our lamp post in the front yard. Our septic field is the LUSH green patch of excessive grass behind the house. Well up front, septic field rear: no matter what you drink, keep things going in the right direction.

dbrk

Here the water-works were built by the US Army Corps of Engineers in 1914 and kept by them until December 1999. Because of the source, the abundance of clean water, and the treatment of the water, it is reputed to be "the best water in the world". Oh, well, maybe just another "best water in the world" of many, but the water here is very good and I'm cheap. Actually, I really like the "taste" of our water, and when you gulp it down it feels better than anything I ever drank. The wife, well, she likes the imported stuff, what does she know...

goonster
07-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Growing up in Vienna, we enjoyed delicious water from the tap, but still drank mineral water at meals and for refreshment. Europeans like to believe in the healthful benefits of those mystical minerals.

http://www.etichetteacqua.it/imagess/austria/romerquelle1.JPG

At home we have a water softener, which does a great job of keeping the plumbing free of deposits, but demineralized water with sodium ions in solution is not very enjoyable to drink. So I buy the cheapest bottled water I can find at the supermarkets. Basically, I draw the line at (regularly) buying water that is shipped across oceans.

As a chemical engineer, homebrewer and beer judge, I take water pretty seriously. Mineral content and dissolved gases do have a huge impact on taste, and vary widely with location. Home and craft brewers often go to great lengths to mimic the mineral profile of the water in prominent brewing cities, like Pilsen or Burton-on-Trent. I've tasted water that is almost 100% chemically pure (<10 ppm total organic carbon, conductivity ~10 microsiemens) and it just has no taste at all.

NYC probably has the best tasting tap water I've ever had in the U.S., coming as it does from the Catskill reservoirs. The disintegrating water mains probably also added a little ferrous zip.

Best water I've ever tasted was in Feldkirch, Vorarlberg, Austria. :beer:

http://www.tiscover.at/at/images/RGN/327/RGN327at/FK-Panorama1.jpg