PDA

View Full Version : Best camera to take on rides?

Benneke
12-11-2016, 11:35 PM
The instagram thread got me thinking about upping my photography game. What cameras do you take with you on rides? I get a little disappointed with my iPhone sometimes, is it worth it to invest in something like an RX100 or similar? What about professional-grade stuff like the Ricoh GR or Fuji X70?

Louis
12-12-2016, 12:51 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TS30K-Active-Lifestyle-Camera/dp/B00RBG61KY

This is unlikely to be the "best" camera for cycling, but a while back I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 for use on moto rides. I don't carry it (or any other camera) on pedal bike rides, but it checks the majority of the boxes and I think it would work well for that too. It's compact, light, waterproof and gives you lots of flexibility to also do relatively fancy stuff, if that's what you want.

guido
12-12-2016, 07:18 AM
I have been getting great results with a Olympus Pen-F. It fits nicely in a Relevate Designs Feedbag strapped to the stem.

avalonracing
12-12-2016, 07:56 AM
The Fuji is too big to ride with. This is even smaller than the Sony.

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/7574157504/gear-of-the-year-canon-g9-x

palincss
12-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Size and weight matter, and although individuals may vary in how much they weight small size & low weight compared to image quality it's very unlikely a cyclist looking for a camera to take on rides will choose a full frame DSLR. I find a Panasonic LX5 works very well for carrying on a bicycle: fairly light and compact without compromising image quality.

For me, the 24-90mm zoom lens range is just fine, as I have found I really don't care for telephoto lenses > 105mm. I'm sure a single focal length wouldn't work for me, nor would multiple lenses.

But for me, the ride is the main thing, and the camera is supplemental. If priorities are reversed and the photo shoot is the main event and the bike is just the way to get there, then who knows, the ideal camera might be an 8x10 view camera with a huge tripod, all carried in a BOB trailer.

Mzilliox
12-12-2016, 10:36 AM
i think the rx100 you are on to something. replaceability if something goes wrong.

AngryScientist
12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
cant wait to get the iPhone 7 myslef, which is now waterproof, and will make on pike carry a little simpler.

joosttx
12-12-2016, 06:10 PM
The instagram thread got me thinking about upping my photography game. What cameras do you take with you on rides? I get a little disappointed with my iPhone sometimes, is it worth it to invest in something like an RX100 or similar? What about professional-grade stuff like the Ricoh GR or Fuji X70?

I would argue the rx100 is professional grade. Well, at least to what you list as professional grade in this ref. post. You can get an original gen.1 rx100 for about $500-400 . This is what I use for my bike photos. Check out my linked instagram account below for inspection.

parris
12-12-2016, 06:30 PM
When I carry a camera I've had good results with one of my smaller Olympus micro 4/3 cameras with the pancake zoom. I carry one of the older Pen Mini's and with the pancake lens it's small enough to fit in a jersey pocket.

franswa
12-12-2016, 06:35 PM
+1 Sony rx100

eBAUMANN
12-12-2016, 06:49 PM
I've ridden with a ricoh gr for the past 3 years, its an excellent, excellent camera.

adub
12-12-2016, 06:59 PM
A Sony RX100 III fills the gap between my iphone and DSLR.

R3awak3n
12-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Been taken this guy

https://goodephotography.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/olympus-21.jpg

Small, lens is awesome. But yeah, its 35mm so you can't have your pics for instagram right away

cadence90
12-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Been taken this guy

Small, lens is awesome. But yeah, its 35mm so you can't have your pics for instagram right away

At least it has an optical viewfinder. I know ovs are not that great on such small cameras, but I really dislike not having any ov on so many recent models, regardless.

Llewellyn
12-12-2016, 08:35 PM
At least it has an optical viewfinder. I know ovs are not that great on such small cameras, but I really dislike not having any ov on so many recent models, regardless.

This is why I continue to use a DSLR. I really don't like the lag with EVF's and I just can't get used to composing a shot while holding the camera in front of my face and looking at the screen from a few inches away.

R3awak3n
12-12-2016, 08:38 PM

yeah it has a range finder, its the only one in the XA lineup that does and why it is still such a popular little camera. I have a couple of them. Pictures are great though, always impressed when I develop the roll.

cadence90
12-12-2016, 08:43 PM
This is why I continue to use a DSLR. I really don't like the lag with EVF's and I just can't get used to composing a shot while holding the camera in front of my face and looking at the screen from a few inches away.

Exactly. I just cannot get used to no ov at all, and also find holding the camera away is just so awkward. I certainly do not expect framing as on a Deardorff 5x7 (;)) or a Nikon ff (;)), but some fairly accurate ov framing would be nice.

I am really not up on these newer compact models, though..perhaps some offer good ovs now, I don't know.

yeah it has a range finder, its the only one in the XA lineup that does and why it is still such a popular little camera. I have a couple of them. Pictures are great though, always impressed when I develop the roll.
Pretty well-built, durable little guys, too, right?

adub
12-12-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm surprised none of you dudes cycle with your Leica M240 body and Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 Lens? It's relatively compact :)

R3awak3n
12-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Exactly. I just cannot get used to no ov at all, and also find holding the camera away is just so awkward. I certainly do not expect framing as on a Deardorff 5x7 (;)) or a Nikon ff (;)), but some fairly accurate ov framing would be nice.

I am really not up on these newer compact models, though..perhaps some offer good ovs now, I don't know.

Pretty well-built, durable little guys, too, right?

They are pretty reliable but once something goes bad, its very hard to fix. They are pretty complex little cameras. I opened one once and was amazed.

palincss
12-12-2016, 09:01 PM

There are smaller mirrorless digital cameras that have viewfinders. My LX5 has an auxiliary one that clips into the hot shoe, and the LX100 has one built in, just to name a couple. I can't deal with those screens on the back of a camera: on a sunny day with my sunglasses on I can't see a thing on those screens. Same applies to touch screen controls - if you can't see them they are completely unworkable.

adub
12-12-2016, 09:06 PM
My RX100 III has a pop-up EVF. It's a great camera!

Erik_A
12-12-2016, 09:11 PM
I shoot with the Fuji X100T on rides; when I need something good; but more often than not its the iPhone 5. That being said; if I was being paid - I would pack my Canon 5D Mk3 and 35mm f/1.4 L lens in a padded bag.

unterhausen
12-12-2016, 09:13 PM
I envy the people that can use a camera on a ride. I just use my phone, and it does a better job than the Olympus I bought because it was rugged. But either way, I rarely take pictures.

eippo1
12-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Not meaning to hijack, but I got a Samsung NX300 to take on rides and love the camera.

Unfortunately, Samsung no longer makes cameras so the whole lens swapping ability is kinda out the window. Anyone know of a good source for the now discontinued lenses? I'd like to get one of their prime lenses like the 30 or 45. Had I known they were killing the line, I would have scrambled to get some additional lenses. :crap:

Pastashop
12-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Ricoh GR - new cult favorite, great haptics. RX-100 - a bit more versatile, a bit more fiddly. Flip a coin and try it out - resale is decent on those, particularly the Ricoh.

ColonelJLloyd
12-13-2016, 08:23 AM
I have a Nikon 1 with a few lenses. I plan to take a lot more photos this year.

soulspinner
12-13-2016, 08:51 AM
wow. Some of you have really nice bike camers. I just have a lowly Cannon...

bpiecuch
12-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Wow is right, most of those cameras cost more than my bike...

I ride with an Olympus TG-860, part of their "tough" line of cameras. Waterproof, shockproof, etc. It has a flip out screen which is great for framing the image at odd angles. It's also under $300.

One of the nice built-in features is the integrated wi-fi. So after a ride, I can download the pictures to my phone for editing and immediate uploading. (I know the wi-fi SD cards can do this too, but this is built in.)

Image quality is below any DSLR, and there's no RAW capability. But, I'm not concerned about dropping the TG-860 at 20mph.

misterha
12-13-2016, 09:56 AM
don't think anyone has mention the iphone 7 but its definitely a capable camera too or the samsung galaxy 7.

Mzilliox
12-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Wow is right, most of those cameras cost more than my bike...

I ride with an Olympus TG-860, part of their "tough" line of cameras. Waterproof, shockproof, etc. It has a flip out screen which is great for framing the image at odd angles. It's also under $300.

One of the nice built-in features is the integrated wi-fi. So after a ride, I can download the pictures to my phone for editing and immediate uploading. (I know the wi-fi SD cards can do this too, but this is built in.)

Image quality is below any DSLR, and there's no RAW capability. But, I'm not concerned about dropping the TG-860 at 20mph.

my thoughts exactly, photos on my rides are just a bonus. i like to know my camera probably won;t break, and i it does, im not out too much.

denapista
12-13-2016, 10:02 AM
I think any camera would be a good camera on a bike ride. It all comes down to what you're comfortable carrying on a bike ride.

The Fuji X100 series would be a good camera to use on rides, as it's somewhat compact and the built in lens is pretty good.

Again, it all comes down to what you're trying to achieve and are comfortable with carrying. You can get a Voigtlander Bessa R or something like that to carry, but it's manual focus. Are you trying to get action shots, still shots, etc? I ride with some guys who carry Canon 5D bodies, etc. If you have a rack, hell carry a Medium Format outfit and take amazing landscape shots. 4x5 if ya want.

For just about everything, the iPhone will take a good shot. Invest in a nice small phone tripod that fits in a jersey pocket, and you're good to go.

yummygooey
12-13-2016, 10:16 AM
I've ridden with a ricoh gr for the past 3 years, its an excellent, excellent camera.

I've also been using a GR for a couple years. What are your favorite GR settings for ride photos?

I usually shoot from my bike so I just put the thing on auto and let it go. Auto isn't so great for action shots, though.

AngryScientist
12-13-2016, 10:18 AM
i do NOT consider myself a "good" photographer. I wish i was better, but i do believe that with good outdoor lighting, most any camera will do. I think what makes a good pic, given good lighting is the photographer who frames the shot.

IMO, the iPhone camera, the 6 especially is very good quality for outdoor still shots.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rr7th7WSxlA/WBdKPGiFDHI/AAAAAAAACo0/AxxSbhZvHMA8UqJxUV7X-EFXisHEsMiuwCLcB/s1140/IMG_1062.JPG

sparky33
12-13-2016, 10:43 AM
I would argue the rx100 is professional grade. Well, at least to what you list as professional grade in this ref. post. You can get an original gen.1 rx100 for about $500-400 . This is what I use for my bike photos. Check out my linked instagram account below for inspection.

Thanks for chiming in on this topic. Your pictures are an excellent endorsement of the RX100 (I).

Benneke
12-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies! For those who use the Ricoh GR, is it too complex for someone with limited photography experience?

Benneke
12-13-2016, 11:50 AM
When I carry a camera I've had good results with one of my smaller Olympus micro 4/3 cameras with the pancake zoom. I carry one of the older Pen Mini's and with the pancake lens it's small enough to fit in a jersey pocket.

What model camera and lens are you using?

MikeD
12-13-2016, 11:54 AM
I have an iPhone 7. It takes great photos (I almost never take a bad one), but it doesn't have a zoom lens. I usually take my phone anyway when riding, so why carry a separate camera?

Ray
12-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies! For those who use the Ricoh GR, is it too complex for someone with limited photography experience?

The Ricoh has a pretty complex/powerful interface. I think there's probably an "auto" mode that makes it a lot easier to use. The key thing to keep in mind about the GR is that it's a fixed focal length camera - the lens doesn't zoom. It's a 28mm equivalent lens, which is a similar field of view to an iPhone or probably most other cell phone cameras. It's got a great sensor for a pocket camera. Other very similar cameras are the Nikon Coolpix A (which I have and love, but it's not in production any longer) and the Fuji X70 - all three of these are smaller than the Fuji X100, so more pocketable, and have equally good sensors. But all, as with the X100, are fixed focal length (the X100 is a bit less wide with a 35mm equivalent field of view). I love these cameras, but their primary benefit is the size of their sensors, which is the same as in a lot of DSLRs, but to get a sensor that big into such smaller cameras means the lenses, while excellent, are not versatile. If you know that's what you want, they're great.

If you don't already know you'd like a fixed focal length camera, you're probably better off with a zoom camera with a somewhat smaller sensor. The best "sweet spot" for a cycling camera, IMHO, is something with a 1" sensor, and a zoom. The RX100 has been mentioned. The Canon G7X is similarly small, has the same sensor, and has a somewhat wider zoom range, and it's less expensive. The G9X is smaller and cheaper yet, with the same sensor but a less versatile lens. The Sony RX100 III and IV both have somewhat better lens performance (again, tradeoffs - the range of the zoom isn't as great so the quality at certain focal lengths is a bit better) and they have a built in viewfinder, which matters a lot to some people, a little to others, and not at all to others. Rear screens have gotten a lot better lately in terms of working adequately even in bright sunlight, but some folks just don't like not being able to bring the camera up to their eye. Another option with a nice zoom lens, a built-in viewfinder, and a slightly larger sensor yet is the Panasonic LX-100. Nikon's working on a couple of small cameras with the same 1" sensor as the RX100 and G7X, but they haven't released them yet.

The GR and it's twins from Nikon and Fuji are excellent cameras, suitable for beginners but with a LOT of room to grow into them, but they don't zoom. That's a deal breaker for a lot of people. I'd probably recommend a zoom lens for a beginner until you REALLY know what you want. OTOH, I and a lot of other older shooters learned photography with prime lenses and small fixed focal length cameras and there's something to be said for the simplicity - think of it as riding a fixed gear vs a normal geared bike.

-Ray

joosttx
12-13-2016, 12:16 PM
my thoughts exactly, photos on my rides are just a bonus. i like to know my camera probably won;t break, and i it does, im not out too much.

Get a sony rx-100 gen 1. You can get one for around $5-400 (hopefully your bike is more expensive than that :) ). I keep mine in my jersey pocket without protection unless it is raining then I put it in a ziplocke bag. My first one I had for over 2 years using it more than twice a week. It broke (actually I thought it did but it didn't) when I landed on it in a crash which also broke my wrist. They are very durable.

Plus they are easy to use with one hand while riding.

Check out the quality on the "inspire me with your gravel bike" thread or the link to my instagram account below.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5442/30499963153_bffdbef23c_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5728/31221837232_cb28d91dac_c.jpg

malcolm
12-13-2016, 12:22 PM
I usually use my iphone in a lifeproof case.

Olympus
TG series is a really nice camera. Fast lens, waterproof, shock proof. I sometime carry it on the mtn bike and usually bring it hiking.

druptight
12-13-2016, 12:25 PM
For all those carrying the RX100 (or similarly sized and priced cameras) on bike rides, I'd love to know how you carry it. While "pocket" sized, it's not tiny and the lens protrudes from the body a bit. Are people just shoving it in a jersey pocket? I'd be too worried about dropping it when trying to pull it out of a jersey. At $700, my RX100 III was no small investment for me.

EDIT: Just saw Joost's response above, unprotected in jersey pocket with crash horror....

joosttx
12-13-2016, 12:32 PM
For all those carrying the RX100 (or similarly sized and priced cameras) on bike rides, I'd love to know how you carry it. While "pocket" sized, it's not tiny and the lens protrudes from the body a bit. Are people just shoving it in a jersey pocket? I'd be too worried about dropping it when trying to pull it out of a jersey. At $700, my RX100 III was no small investment for me.

I do. Just shove it in my jersey pocket. Being doing it for over 2 years without fail. I have the original RX100 which I got new for free. So my attitude was lets see how long will this thing survive. And its survived a very long time.

Ray
12-13-2016, 01:04 PM

EDIT: Just saw Joost's response above, unprotected in jersey pocket with crash horror....

I have a small camera bag made to attach to a belt or a very small strap and I use toe-clip straps to attach it to the handlebar during rides. The little loops attach to the bar with the straps and the velcro belt attachment wraps around the cables just in front of the head-tube to stabilize it. This will hold a Coolpix A, Ricoh GR, Fuji X70, or anything smaller, so it easily handles my G7X or an RX100. The bag is small enough that it doesn't interfere with my hand positions on the top of the bar and the weight is imperceptible to me.

I just stick my iPhone in a jersey pocket, but these other cameras are just large enough to feel cumbersome and heavy in a jersey pocket, so I just use a small bar bag when I take one out...

-Ray

mhespenheide
12-13-2016, 01:49 PM
The Sony RX100mk1 goes for $250-$300 on FredMiranda and, if you're careful and patient, via eBay. I'm considering selling mine, so if you're in the market, drop me a line. I want to head up to the Panasonic LX-100 or a Sony 6000.

If you want to dip your hand in the high-end compact market to see if the whole gestalt works for you, the original Canon G9 (not the G9x), can be had for about $100-ish used, then resold if you move on.

Joosttx's photos show quite clearly what the Sony rx100 is capable of, but as an off-bike photographer, I would caution that he's probably shooting in raw and doing some basic post-processing to get those results.

Any case on the camera will protect it better than nothing, but every case gets in the way of actual shooting.

joosttx
12-13-2016, 01:50 PM
The Sony RX100mk1 goes for $250-$300 on FredMiranda and, if you're careful and patient, via eBay. I'm considering selling mine, so if you're in the market, drop me a line. I want to head up to the Panasonic LX-100 or a Sony 6000.

If you want to dip your hand in the high-end compact market to see if the whole gestalt works for you, the original Canon G9 (not the G9x), can be had for about $100-ish used, then resold if you move on.

Joosttx's photos show quite clearly what the Sony rx100 is capable of, but as an off-bike photographer, I would caution that he's probably shooting in raw and doing some basic post-processing to get those results.

Any case on the camera will protect it better than nothing, but every case gets in the way of actual shooting.

I am just running it through a quick HDR filter provided by Nik ( which forgives lots of sins) and am shooting in Jpegs.

MikeD
12-13-2016, 02:08 PM
I do. Just shove it in my jersey pocket. Being doing it for over 2 years without fail. I have the original RX100 which I got new for free. So my attitude was lets see how long will this thing survive. And its survived a very long time.

Anything I put in my jersey pocket gets wet from sweat. Even if your camera is water resistant, your still going to get sweat on the lens which means bad photos. Camera or cell phone goes in a zip lock snack bag for me. Makes it much harder to whip out though, which means I don't take a lot of photos, unfortunately.

joosttx
12-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Anything I put in my jersey pocket gets wet from sweat. Even if your camera is water resistant, your still going to get sweat on the lens which means bad photos. Camera or cell phone goes in a zip lock snack bag for me. Makes it much harder to whip out though, which means I don't take a lot of photos, unfortunately.

The Sony RX-100 has an auto lens cover which helps with that issue. I sweat too. The only time I ever had a problem with liquids on the lens is when its raining. I do put the lens out and not against my body in my jersey pocket. I don't do that 100% time.
The proof is in the results.

eBAUMANN
12-13-2016, 03:18 PM

yea i dont even bother with jersey pockets anymore, a small handlebar bag is my weapon of choice - keeps the camera in the hand-zone, protected from the elements/sweat and most importantly OUT OF MY JERSEY POCKET. I cant stand carrying heavy-ish things in jersey pockets.

I've also been using a GR for a couple years. What are your favorite GR settings for ride photos?

I usually shoot from my bike so I just put the thing on auto and let it go. Auto isn't so great for action shots, though.

all of my cameras are permanently locked in aperture priority mode...just set up the ISO pre-ride or at a stop, pull it out, hit the power button, aim and fire.
love that ricoh. loooooove it.

mhespenheide
12-13-2016, 03:31 PM
I am just running it through a quick HDR filter provided by Nik ( which forgives lots of sins) and am shooting in Jpegs.

Okay, I stand corrected. Color me impressed.
:beer:

joosttx
12-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Okay, I stand corrected. Color me impressed.
:beer:

:beer: Thank you!

palincss
12-13-2016, 09:03 PM
But all, as with the X100, are fixed focal length (the X100 is a bit less wide with a 35mm equivalent field of view). I love these cameras, but their primary benefit is the size of their sensors, which is the same as in a lot of DSLRs, but to get a sensor that big into such smaller cameras means the lenses, while excellent, are not versatile. If you know that's what you want, they're great.

If you don't already know you'd like a fixed focal length camera, you're probably better off with a zoom camera with a somewhat smaller sensor.

There's a lot to be said for a fixed focal length camera, both as a photographic tool and as a tool for learning & for expanding your vision. But from the viewpoint of a cyclist, I think they leave much to be desired. Most of what you're going to want to photograph is off somewhere in the distance, while you as a cyclist are on the road. Walking up to your subject to better frame it just doesn't work - at least, not for me.

palincss
12-13-2016, 09:05 PM

I carry my camera in a handlebar bag, wrapped with bubble wrap and cast-off clothing.

adub
12-13-2016, 09:47 PM
I don't always ride with my RX-100, but when I do I have a top-tube gas tank bag I keep it in. I too cant deal with anything larger or heavier than an iphone or a few snacks in my jersey pockets

Ti Designs
12-14-2016, 01:21 PM
If we're talking image quality, a full frame DSLR is hard to beat, but my thinking keeps going back to that old saying - <I>The trick to good photography is f8 and be there</I>. I get places by bike (or foot), I take my camera equipment with me. Smaller image sensors (within reason) means smaller lenses, getting rid of the overhead that film needed means smaller cameras. Having multiple companies making equipment for an open standard means you can always find the right lens or camera body. I switched from DSLRs and large format to Micro Four Thirds about 5 years ago, I have to say there's a lot to that "being there" part...

As for shooting from the bike, I'm at a loss. I have a couple Contour Roam cameras, the lens is plastic, the image sensor is tiny. It's never going to give me a great image, the best they can hope to do is deliver action shots, which they do. Trying to bring anything like one of my M43 cameras just doesn't work the same, I'll just never stop to take a picture, and shooting from the saddle is a good way of crashing...

Here's my write up on why I shoot in M43: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FW_jBGNQ0oH9bR1IXk4K7WM02jy7KkL3z9akbYrqbVw/edit?usp=sharing

Here are some samples of the Contour camera: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_vRohsDz1FWeTdNU0d4SzlkTEU?usp=sharing

yummygooey
12-14-2016, 01:37 PM
The Ricoh GR is pretty light. I have carried it in a plastic sandwich bag in a jersey pocket, in my rando bag, in a hip pouch on a belt, or using a strap around my back. I don't even notice the weight of the camera when it's strapped around my back but it likes to bounce around when stuff gets rad.

eippo1
12-14-2016, 03:04 PM
yea i dont even bother with jersey pockets anymore, a small handlebar bag is my weapon of choice - keeps the camera in the hand-zone, protected from the elements/sweat and most importantly OUT OF MY JERSEY POCKET. I cant stand carrying heavy-ish things in jersey pockets.

What handlebar bag do you use?

m_moses
12-20-2016, 01:00 PM
I've been considering the same thing. For me, my iPhone seems just a bit delicate to handle with gloves (so I typically take them off) and I worry about running the battery down while on long rides. I'd like a camera that is small enough to fit in a jersey pocket but takes photos at least as good as your typical smart phone camera.

I'm considering the RX100 and the Canon G9x but I'm leaning more towards the Canon because of its size and touch screen.

Although I mentioned a jersey pocket above, I'm also considering some type of small top tube or handlebar pack to store the camera and to improve access. I recently picked up a Macgyver from Ornot to use as a saddle bag but it will also work attached to the handlebar.

Anyone have any experience with the Canon G9x?

m_moses
12-20-2016, 01:28 PM
IMO, the iPhone camera, the 6 especially is very good quality for outdoor still shots.

I agree. I just replaced my 3 year old 5s with a 7 and it takes really nice photos. Great shot btw.

eBAUMANN
12-20-2016, 01:36 PM
What handlebar bag do you use?

Heres a thingy I wrote up years ago. (http://ridemetal.tumblr.com/post/56707328582/here-are-a-few-shots-of-the-handlebar-setup-that-i)

m_moses
12-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Heres a thingy I wrote up years ago. (http://ridemetal.tumblr.com/post/56707328582/here-are-a-few-shots-of-the-handlebar-setup-that-i)

Thanks! I'm all for getting stuff out of my Jersey pockets. I need to look into that Ricoh GR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gdw
12-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Get a custom carrier. This one is padded and attaches to either side of the stem or handlebars. It's padded, opens quietly, and allows the camera to be removed or inserted with one hand while riding.

eBAUMANN
12-20-2016, 02:25 PM
^ NICE.

The revelate designs feedbags also make good camera carriers.

ColonelJLloyd
12-20-2016, 02:29 PM
^ NICE.

The revelate designs feedbags also make good camera carriers.

Yup. And Roadrunner makes a similar one to the Feedbag as well as a larger model (https://roadrunnerbags.us/collections/bags-for-your-bike/products/point-n-shooter-l) for bigger cameras.

carlineng
12-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Been toying with the idea of getting a GoPro Session camera. The combination of tiny form factor and dead simple interface (ONE button!) make it appealing. This past weekend I wanted to snap some photos while pedaling, but my phone was in a plastic ziploc bag in a jersey pocket underneath a jacket. With gloves on, that's a tough combo to break.

notsew
12-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Drifting this thread a little bit.... this thread got me thinking about replacing the dslr with one of these high end point and shoots. The reality is that I'm not using the functionality of the dslr - only one lens, not really using many options. The size of it means it rarely gets used. Several years ago when I bought it, the digital cameras it replaced had marginal photo quality and problematic lag. Seems like those two issues would be addressed by one of these options discussed in this thread.

Basically, if I could get a decent zoom and most of the photo quality of a dslr in a smaller form factor, I think I would use it more. Am I right in thinking that these fancy point and shoots would do that for me?

eBAUMANN
12-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Drifting this thread a little bit.... this thread got me thinking about replacing the dslr with one of these high end point and shoots. The reality is that I'm not using the functionality of the dslr - only one lens, not really using many options. The size of it means it rarely gets used. Several years ago when I bought it, the digital cameras it replaced had marginal photo quality and problematic lag. Seems like those two issues would be addressed by one of these options discussed in this thread.

Basically, if I could get a decent zoom and most of the photo quality of a dslr in a smaller form factor, I think I would use it more. Am I right in thinking that these fancy point and shoots would do that for me?

Most of these fancy point and shoots ditch zoom lenses in favor of image quality, performance, and size. So maybe not.

Your best bet would be looking into Fuji's X-series of cameras, as there are MANY options available these days both used and new and ALL are great cameras.
They are a particularly awesome value buying used, as the prices are shockingly low these days for what you get.
That said, if you want a zoom lens, you will give up a little in size/weight.
If not, check out the x100t, x70, Ricoh GR I or II, or any of the other cameras mentioned above.

mhespenheide
12-21-2016, 01:52 PM
That depends on your qualifications of a "decent zoom". Zoom lenses range all over the map these days. Some are phenomenally good, almost all are quite good by f/8, but many kit lenses are still pretty basic. It's not hard to find a smaller, lighter-weight camera that can replace a earlier-generation Canon or Nikon dslr with an aps-c sensor and a kit lens. I hesitate to even start mentioning specific cameras because there are so many, but Fuji's current line are almost universally excellent, and many recent micro 4/3's will get you there as well.

Ti Designs
12-21-2016, 02:15 PM

I'm always confused by how terms are used. An HRD filter - a filter you screw onto the front of the lens can only remove things from what gets to the sense, so an HDR filter would remove the High Dynamic Range, and what's left is a washed out, low contrast, grey tone image... These days filters don't get threaded onto the end of the lens, they're done as a software process applied to the output of the sensor. Just the same, the sensor has dynamic range limit, which is why when you see blue sky and an orange sun and detail all around, the camera only captures some of it. If you expose for the detail the sky goes white, if you expose for the sky the detail is lost in shadow... HDR images are traditionally done using bracketing where images are taken two or three stops above and below the metered exposure, then software takes those images and combines them to get and adjusted exposure for both highlights and shadows. Like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_vRohsDz1FWOHo3c1VqQUltelE/view?usp=sharing

With processing power increasing in camera, and memory transfer speeds increasing, it's possible to take one exposure, but make copies of that exposure as it builds. That means that you could take a 1/60th exposure and get a 1/125th and 1/500th along the way, then combine them into an HDR photo. I don't think Nikon is there yet. I know Olympus allows you to view how a long exposure is building...

So what is a Nikon HDR filter???

eBAUMANN
12-21-2016, 02:17 PM
So what is a Nikon HDR filter???

Nik, not Nikon.

Nik is a software company that makes one-click processing filters for images, amongst other things.

Also, HDR (in the form most people think looks cool) is actually wicked stupid.
#atmo

palincss
12-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Depends on your definition of "most of the photo quality." If you are looking for print enlargements six feet long then probably no, you need to stick to a full-frame DSLR or better. Also, if you are a "pixel peeper" than probably no. Otherwise, definitely yes. Your issue is the same as why 35mm became popular in the first place -- I mean, what can compare in image quality to an 8x10 contact print? but those 8x10 view cameras are "portable" only in the same sense that a 105mm howitzer is "portable."

Ti Designs
12-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Nik is a software company that makes one-click processing filters for images, amongst other things.

I just added another 8 hours of videos about Nik processing to my watch list - trainer time... I'm sure there's more to it, but their processes look like processing presets. I have to question how much information isn't there when you're dealing with a single exposure. Perhaps there's more bit depth than I think and their software is bringing out that information...

#atmo

I have no idea what most people think. I try to capture what I see, but my mental image of a scene is based on looking around, not a single glance. As I look around my eyes adjust to the lighting conditions, which is what a single image off a sensor can't do. If the histogram is all bunched up on one side I know it's time to shoot in autobracket mode.

joosttx
12-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Nik, not Nikon.

#atmo

Thank you for explaining it to the masses

gallant
01-21-2017, 01:06 AM
Another option is to invest in a good iPhone lens. Would save a lot of money and can still use it on rides with minimal weight.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lenses-for-iphone/

MikeD
01-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Why buy an expensive camera when the best you view the photos on is an 1080p computer monitor or laptop, or iPad? Seems like a waste of money to me, considering that carrying a camera on the bike puts it at risk from damage also.

adub
01-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Why buy an expensive camera when the best you view the photos on is an 1080p computer monitor or laptop, or iPad? Seems like a waste of money to me, considering that carrying a camera on the bike puts it at risk from damage also.

1- Some people still do print photos.
2- Depth of field.

Sketchy
01-21-2017, 04:03 PM
HTC Re. No viewfinder, just point in the general direction you find interesting. Does stills, video and slow mo video. Picture quality is fine for 'gramming and you can use it while wearing gloves. It's about the size and shape of an inhaler, so you can fool your buds into thinking you've got some Chris Froome **** going on.

radsmd
01-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Get a custom carrier. This one is padded and attaches to either side of the stem or handlebars. It's padded, opens quietly, and allows the camera to be removed or inserted with one hand while riding.

What bag is that?