PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a frame as wall art advice

keno
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm looking for a stylish approach to hanging my Porsche Bebe Concours on the wall in my lair, no one having stepped up to buy it. It's frame and fork only. What hardware have you used or seen for the purpose?

Wanted, input from manet, William, and other artistic types out there willing to work for gratitude.

keno

Grant McLean
07-27-2006, 07:49 PM
ask big red, this is the only way...

g

Kevan
07-27-2006, 08:53 PM
I often thought the way to do this was you have a metal worker weld 2 small pieces of inverted fender-shaped metal brackets to cradle each wheel. The two pieces would have to extend out from the wall for pedal and bar clearance. Simple lines painted black, might look sharp. Small black plate at bar height to protect the wall and prevent dirt smudges. Assuming the art gets period use.

Louis
07-27-2006, 09:12 PM
My plan for F&F (when I get around to it) is complete minimalism: two nylon fishing lines as thin as possible attached to the TT. To simplify leveling it might be possible to use a single line threaded through the rear brake cable stops / housing keepers and attached at two appropriately spaced points near the ceiling.

Louis

Fat Robert
07-28-2006, 06:03 AM
is it the wrong size?

why not just throw some parts on it?

fill me in, ken o

and get that bod sorted out soon, yo

Ken Robb
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't remember a fs posting for your bike.

keno
07-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Ken, references in following threads

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7518&highlight=keno+concours

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9960&highlight=keno+concours

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9958&highlight=keno+concours

and following classified

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13219&highlight=keno+concours

My Ottrott is a 60/59.5. All of the riding and Pilates have made me longer if not taller.

As for the hanging, I'm thinking a ss or chrome screw through one of the chain stay holes the non-drive side and haven't figured the front end support.

keno

ti_boi
07-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm looking for a stylish approach to hanging my Porsche Bebe Concours on the wall in my lair, no one having stepped up to buy it. It's frame and fork only. What hardware have you used or seen for the purpose?

Wanted, input from manet, William, and other artistic types out there willing to work for gratitude.

keno

You should mount it on Black velvet...IMHO

keno
07-28-2006, 04:07 PM
next to Elvis or the tiger?

keno

bfd
07-28-2006, 04:10 PM
<You should mount it on Black velvet...IMHO>

A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA does something similar as it has several frames hung on green felt frames (scroll down to last picture):

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bike_Shops/A-Bicycle-Odyssey.htm

cpg
07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Call me a heretic but I think hanging a frame up on the wall is like hanging a pair of shoes on the wall. A frame doesn't have meaning until it's built up with parts into a bike and a bike doens't have meaning until it's ridden. Build it up and ride it. This will show the most reverance to the bike IMO. But what do I know. If I were to hang a frame on the wall, I'd make sure the head set is installed. A frame without a fork just doesn't work as well as the two together.

Curt

fishbolish
07-28-2006, 05:11 PM
have a pearl white eddy merckx hanging on my wall in my bike room,I used derailleur cable threaded thru the top tube cable guides(thin clear plastic covers where the cable touches the guides)aka cable housing liner .have two eyelets mounted to the ceiling,used fishing leader crimps to secure the ends...

Serpico
07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Call me a heretic but I think hanging a frame up on the wall is like hanging a pair of shoes on the wall. A frame doesn't have meaning until it's built up with parts into a bike and a bike doens't have meaning until it's ridden. Build it up and ride it. This will show the most reverance to the bike IMO.

:beer:

toaster
07-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry, I don't get the bare frame on the wall and especially a fork stuck in the seat tube.

stevep
07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
clearly there is no woman in this house.

Ken Robb
07-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Well you might want to try posting a for sale ad now during the height of the riding season before you give up on selling it. It's been 7 months since that last post so there might be a buyer out there now. I don't remember seeing a price either, but I'm old. It's a beautiful bike.

keno
07-29-2006, 02:30 AM
I've been following ebay auctions and see there isn't much demand for the Concours out there, in general, at a decent price. I put something like $3,000 + in the frame, fork and headset, and the $600 or so I might get is less than the enjoyment I get from seeing my first "real" bike. I agree that it is a pretty one, so it's a no brainer given the options. I'll probably keep the steel Spectrum, which I've turned into a fixie, for similar reasons. I've sold my track bike, so, all in, I'm down to three bikes and a frame and fork. Not bad in this crowd.

keno

cs124
07-29-2006, 07:05 AM
sorry dude, i'm with cpg.

a bike is for riding...if you want an ornament get a faberge egg

keno
07-29-2006, 07:25 AM
no need to apologize. Just buy the bike and put parts on it. As for me, the egg goes on the wall. BTW, don't visit the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame, as you'll be heartbroken.

keno

Serotta PETE
07-29-2006, 07:29 AM
SPOKES>>>>WHere are you. Show him how you hang them

Fat Robert
07-29-2006, 10:40 AM
if you're longer on the bike...will that concors still not work with, say, a 150 stem and long/deep bars (like an oval 150/deep drop combo). i mean, how far is the thing off your current ride?

maybe you just turn it into NJ's pimpest flat-bar cruiser?