PDA

View Full Version : Tire "Zit" in sidewall.

jeffg
04-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I hit a bump today and thought all was well until I noticed a bump on the sidewall when I got home. It seems to be inflated with air (it gives), and I am assuming I have a flat. The question is, is the integrity of the tire itself compromised to the point I should replace it? It is otherwise in good condition with less than 500 miles on it. Any thoughts?

best,

Jeff

vaxn8r
04-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Replace it. It's a potential blowout and you don't want to be worried about it descending some hill at 40 mph riding with no hands.

Seriously. It's toast.

Kevin
04-08-2004, 05:45 AM
I agree, replace the tire. A bubble on the sidewall is a recipe for disaster.

Kevin

zap
04-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Replace it.

I was complacent when it came to one of our front tandem tires. The tire was 4+ years old with one or two minor cuts on the sidewall when it blew. We were on a descent when we went down in front of Too Tall.

You can always use the tire for trainer use. When it does blow, it will sound pretty impressive inside the house.

Kurt
04-08-2004, 12:04 PM
I sometimes use sail-cloth tape, make a 1" by 3" strip, clean the inside of the tire well, you can even rough it up a bit, lay the tape in and assemble the tire. Pump up and trim the excess near the rim with a razor blade. Nothing will get through that stuff, much better than a dollar bill. Conti 3000 by chance?

gasman
04-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Replace it. Potential injuries to you from a crash are not worth it.
Give it to someone you don't like. :rolleyes: