PDA

View Full Version : Trainer help

tjk23
12-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Okay so I tried the smart trainer route and purchased a Wahoo kickr. I really was not a fan and went back to my KK road machine. I really like the feel of the KK better. I am now looking at getting a KK rock and roll. Who has tried one and what do you think about it?

efaust_o
12-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Can't advise on R&R, but I'm curious, by what feel you referring to? I have KK and thinking about Kicker next year only because Zwift is catching on. I'm perfectly happy right now with the KK & Trainer Road...

tjk23
12-10-2016, 03:35 PM
The Kickr has several modes to use. Erg is probably the most popular, the Kickr maintains a preset wattage regardless of cadence, the faster you pedal the less resistance you feel. The resistance just did not feel natural to me, I felt like I was pedaling in mud most of the time. You do get a great workout I just prefer having to concentrate on hitting the target wattage on my own. And the Kinetic just feels smoother, more like when I'm riding outdoors.

efaust_o
12-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Here is DC's take... https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/kinetic-smart-control-trainers.html

Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming the new Kicker version is quieter. I didn't know how quiet a trainer could be till I got the KK road machine....Ed

Hank Scorpio
12-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Probably a stupid question but you did the spin downs with the kickr right? Through the Wahoo app and not just the TR version.

I have the Snap and it can go out of calibration fairly frequently but after a spin down it is usually back in order. I have had some problems with it going bonkers mid ride but that was only once.

tjk23
12-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Yes I did it on both the Wahoo site and on TrainerRoad. I did it multiple times including the advanced spin down.

shovelhd
12-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Erg is supposed to feel like mud. Try Zwift.

R3awak3n
12-10-2016, 09:23 PM
what shovel hd said. Erg is awesome though, set and forget.

In zwift there is nothing like the kickr and I really do not notice the difference in feel btw my KK. Has been a second since I used the KK but do I like my kickr.

unterhausen
12-11-2016, 07:28 AM
erg mode has a really weird feel to it, no doubt. Probably going to wear out one gear on my cassette though. My biggest problem so far is that under certain (low power, low speed) circumstances, it drops out of erg mode. I had a lot of problems with that when I first got started with trainerroad, hasn't happened since I upped my ftp 25%