PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay Zero Bearing Rebuild Help

92degrees
07-27-2006, 01:46 PM
One of my pedals has gone hinky 10 days before PMC. I've replaced the cleats, and I'm 99.9% sure that the wobble I'm getting is from the bearings. I can't find anywhere that stocks the rebuild kit for the zero. My LBSs (3) all say 5-7 days to get a kit from Speedplay. Is there anywhere I can order a kit online and pay to get the kit quicker?

bironi
07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I would call Speedplay. They are pretty helpful over the phone.

92degrees
07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I just did that following your advice. Based on my description -- that it's clear that the pedal body has play on the spindle, they said it could require a pedal body kit and/or a cartridge kit. $125! huh? I think I may just buy new pedals and move these to the rain bike permanently rather than moving them back and forth between bikes.

bironi
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
I too thought they gouged on parts replacements. I just bought a new pair, and resolved to perform regular maintenance.

92degrees
07-27-2006, 02:30 PM
I too thought they gouged on parts replacements. I just bought a new pair, and resolved to perform regular maintenance.

yeah, i'm grumbling. LBS is looking in back for a new set of pedals now. i thought i was pretty easy on this set too.
:confused:

CalfeeFly
07-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Speedplay sells a grease gun and their recommended waterproof grease for a reasonable price. Then you can grease your bearings on a regular basis. You will probably find that once you do the old pedals on the road bike that they will improve as well. It is easy to do and when you see the dirty grease come out of the other side of the pedal you will see why regular maintenance is a good idea. The key is to get a firm seal of the grease gun to the pedal. I never did a set of Zero's just their original design.