PDA

View Full Version : 29er wheelset on a FAT Bike?

OldCrank
12-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Second snow of the year has me thinking of fatties.
(I like 4.8s and I cannot lie)

How does a fatbike ride with the 29er wheels?
What are the big diffs between 29ers and fat bikes with 29er (or 29er+) wheels?

This way I could go N+2 instead of just N+1, by just adding a wheelset.

But should I?

TIA

stien
12-09-2016, 07:49 AM
I know my Farley 8 can take 29er wheels for summer, but honestly I never saw the need. One ride on the trail with fatties and you'll be hooked. So much traction!

Disclaimer: I ride 3.8s and have a Bluto front shock, not 4.8s/rigid like they sell now.

Mikej
12-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Just make sure your hub spacing is the same. Fat bikes may be a bit sluggish feeling with 29 or + - and crank bb length bb height may not be best for carving fast on dirt- but it all depends on your outlook...

commonguy001
12-09-2016, 07:55 AM
I have a set of 29+ for my fat bike and they're pretty sweet for trail riding and still go through sand really well. They're what I run all summer but if I were to do it again I'd probably try a 27.5+ as the 29+ are probably more than I need.

Regular 29 would just fine also (same height give or take as a 4.0 fat tire) I just wasn't interested in them when I had my 29+ set built.

AJosiahK
12-09-2016, 08:04 AM
That should work

might change the handling if you went standard 29er tires.... 29er+ or 27.5 + might help with a bit better handling

p nut
12-09-2016, 08:33 AM
BB height is fine. i.e. Surly Ice Cream Truck has a 60mm BB drop.

Q factor is typically what keeps most from riding their fatties in the summer time. If you're ok with it, it would be a great 4-season MTB.

Jcgill
12-09-2016, 02:35 PM
I will echo what was said eariler:

I just recently got a Scott Big Jon fat bike a few weeks ago after admiring fattys for years and test riding a bunch.

Little background on me, started as a mtb guy years ago with a 26" full susp bike, got tired of driving 40+ mins each way to trails, became a roadie and haven't looked back, now own 3 road bikes.
Wanted a fatty to get outside in the Chicagoland winters and break up the boring trainer hours.

Once you swing a leg over a bike on 4.8's you will be grinning ear to ear! I am now planning to ride mine as-is next summer on trails. Fat bikes are fun even on the road/sidewalk/paved trails. There is just something about clipping along on jumbo jim tires that are humming under you that makes it a blast.

We had a snowstorm last Sunday night and Monday night i went out in the snow for the first time on a fatty and let me tell you i am hooked, I used to hate winter and snow but now i am excited for the storm predicted for this Sunday in the midwest!

Bottom line: Unless you race XC or do competitive mtb rides or want to do the Leadville 100 in my opinion get a fatty and don't look back!:banana:

ColonelJLloyd
12-09-2016, 02:36 PM
This thread needs pics.

guido
12-09-2016, 04:03 PM
I tested a Wednesday with a 29+ setup and it rode fine.

OldCrank
12-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks to all PaceMeisters who weighed in.

<<< Once you swing a leg over a bike on 4.8's you will be grinning ear to ear! >>>
I have the NEED! The need for... huge rubber. In the snow. On the sand. On the trails?

Now, has anybody ridden a fattie with 29+ and a standard 29er wheelsets?
How do they compare?

I'm not expecting the same dynamics of course.