PDA

View Full Version : OT: Zwift on UHD Display

djg21
12-09-2016, 06:09 AM
I just purchased an Alienware laptop with a 17" UHD Display that has a resolution of 3840 x 2160. Zwift looks really amazing once I'm in the program, but the sign-in screen is almost impossible to read because it is so small. I've tried adjusting the scaling up to 300%, and increasing the system-wide font size, but noting helps and he text/graphic of the screen remains virtually unreadable.

Any tips from other Alienware users?

I've tried unsuccessfully to upload a screenshot. Here's a link to the screenshot in Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqyra8t649rb23q/Screenshot%202016-12-08%2023.00.16.png?dl=0

Bwana
12-09-2016, 07:40 AM
Not much you can do for it, the window is not scaleable.

You save your login and tell it to remember you though, then you don't have to worry about it. :D

saab2000
12-09-2016, 07:51 AM
I have connected my laptop to my TV for Zwift sessions. It works great. But the application does take a lot of processing power so the computer gets hot and the cooling fan blows non-stop.

My biggest issue is that now that I'm on Zwift it's obvious that the experience would be massively enhanced using a smart trainer like a Wahoo Kickr.

Zwift is a slippery slope!

I want a new computer that won't burn out, a new trainer, a mat, another fan or two, etc! :eek::beer:

mtb_frk
12-09-2016, 08:34 AM
I just purchased an Alienware laptop with a 17" UHD Display that has a resolution of 3840 x 2160.

Which model did you get? My current laptop is probably 8 years old, and am debating getting a expensive one I can run zwift on or just waiting for the iOS version to come out and getting a less expensive laptop.

djg21
12-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Which model did you get? My current laptop is probably 8 years old, and am debating getting a expensive one I can run zwift on or just waiting for the iOS version to come out and getting a less expensive laptop.

I got a well-equipped 2015 Alienware with a 17" display. http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-17-r3/dkcwg044s.

I ordered it on Black Friday and got it for under $1,900. My old desktop, and both my laptop and my wife's laptop died over the past year and this is the only PC we'll have, and serves as a desktop replacement that won't be taken out of the house.

The Alienware machine is pretty impressive. The display is something. In Zwift, I can see detail like the splashing of raindrops that I couldn't see on my old Dell XPS laptop.

Lewis Moon
12-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Another OT vote for Alienware machines here. I have a seven year old M11x that has been the best computer I have ever used. Hands down. It's getting a bit long in the tooth, but I'm contemplating just sending it to my Bro-In-Law who is a 'puter tech to get it refurbished and updated.

mtb_frk
12-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Hey thanks. I get some kind of discount on dell products through work so I'll have to check the price on that one.

weisan
12-09-2016, 03:15 PM
I mentioned this on another thread. If other pals are looking for an economical entry-level hardware to hook up to ZWIFT, this is a good option. It works fine.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2085798&postcount=340