PDA

View Full Version : Best bike vehicle??? (truck? wagon? Town Car?)

loimpact
12-08-2016, 10:20 PM
So I may be looking at another car soon and I'd like to keep "bike" in mind. This will actually dual purpose as a daughter's driver and extra car for the family.

If not for the bike, I'd probably buy a Civic/Corolla.

But I have to remove both wheels to get my bike in my Camry's trunk. So maybe a wagon is better?

Outback?

Family Truckster?

Just stick with a pickup truck? (I already have one with fork mounts)

What say ye?

enr1co
12-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Anything with a hatchback or wagon!

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa357/enr1co/IMG_4997.jpg

Hilltopperny
12-09-2016, 05:04 AM
Traded in my hatchback for a Tacoma and bought a cap. The hatchback was good for transporting bikes, but the truck is definitely better. My wife still has her Impreza hatchback which can fit 2 bikes inside comfortably, but my truck can fit 4 or possibly 5 without getting overly creative:beer:
I have also recently test drove both the Outback and Forester models from Subaru and they have plenty of room inside to pack a couple of bikes. The Outback has a longer wheelbase and wider stance making it feel more stable and solid going down the road. The Forester had more head room and drove more like the impreza.

CNY rider
12-09-2016, 05:14 AM
I don't know how big your family is, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear this, but our Toyota minivan handles bike hauling duties better than any other vehicle we've had.
And that includes our double and triple tandems.

Cicli
12-09-2016, 05:28 AM
My company car is a Ford Transit Connect Wagon. Its the 7 passenger. I can lay down the seats and fit several bikes upright. Maybe even with both wheels on but my rack mounts to the fork. I use a Steepgrade rack inside. Works like a champion.

loimpact
12-09-2016, 06:41 AM
I don't know how big your family is, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear this, but our Toyota minivan handles bike hauling duties better than any other vehicle we've had.
And that includes our double and triple tandems.

LOL!! I know this to be truth!!! Cold........hard......truth!!!

;)

dancinkozmo
12-09-2016, 07:06 AM
honda fit....

https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2011/03/11/08/07/2011_honda_fit-pic-472302865434219733-640x480.jpeg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/98/61/9e/98619e202b814aa4c068eb0da304d2f5.jpg

oldguy00
12-09-2016, 07:07 AM
We have a Honda Pilot that hauls quit a bit inside, but uses more gas than the options you listed.
That said, when I was shopping for cars, before buying the pilot, I -loved- the outback. Test drove it in the winter and they are supreme in snowy/icy conditions. I ended up with the pilot as I wanted a bit more room inside for family trips. But when the time comes for the next car, outback will be very high on the list.

nooneline
12-09-2016, 08:39 AM
honda fit....

Yup, I like my Fit for bike use. It can fit 3 people and bikes all inside, gets 40mpg on the highway, and is easy to park in a dense city. Reliable, affordable (less cachet means less used-price-inflation than a Corolla or Civic). Oh, and it has way more storage space than it looks - the seats fold down to be flat in plane with the trunk, so you can haul a surprising amount of cargo.

I have a hitch rack for it but have been meaning to take it off, since often enough we just chuck our bikes in the back.

Msedwick
12-09-2016, 08:56 AM
I currently have a 2004 WRX, I love the car and it's fun as hell, but it's a bit difficult to use for bike life. I have a roof rack which is helpful to carry bikes around, but changing, carrying a bunch of gear, etc... isn't super easy in it. Not to mention having to pay for premium while commuting ~100mi a day and then driving all over to rides/races.

I'm actually looking into buying a Honda Element. Their mpg is a bit less, but it seems to be balanced out by being able to run standard fuel. I like that you can fit an entire bike in the car without disassembly as well, and that I can use it as a place for camping when traveling out to races; saving money by not needing hotels.

djg21
12-09-2016, 08:58 AM
So I may be looking at another car soon and I'd like to keep "bike" in mind. This will actually dual purpose as a daughter's driver and extra car for the family.

But I have to remove both wheels to get my bike in my Camry's trunk. So maybe a wagon is better?

Outback?

Family Truckster?

What say ye?

Full size pickup with a good, secure cap.

I have a Tacoma double-cab shortbed. It's good for cycling, but I wish I had a full bed.

dave thompson
12-09-2016, 09:10 AM
We bought our Chrysler Town and Country van because it's so versatile when hauling stuff. The middle and rear seats fold flat into the floor easily making it a snap to configure the interior for various jobs. Example, it can carry 3 bikes, 3 riders and all their gear on the inside. I average about 23~24mpg overall and nearly 30 when cruising the hiway.

The Town and Country is extremely safe. One saved my life two years ago when I was involved in a head-on collision here in Mexico that destroyed both cars. I walked away while the other driver spent 6 weeks in the hospital. The first thing I did when I returned to the States was buy another Town and Country.

The other car:

cp43
12-09-2016, 09:12 AM
honda fit....

.. snip pics...

The Fit is a great car.

p nut
12-09-2016, 09:15 AM
I loved my Honda Fit, except for the poor crash test rating.

Is a hitch rack an option? Just get a sedan and a hitch. No tearing up the interior, messing with putting seats down. On/off in 10 seconds.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2016, 09:27 AM
My Forester is as small as I go. Anything less is too small for a bike and luggage for long hauls, and I don't carry the bike on top for extended periods due to weather and security. Nice to have a rolling locked compartment for my stuff as I travel that makes a ton of noise if somebody tries to get in and take my stuff.

Ralph
12-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Elements are great simple vehicles that haul a lot of stuff.

However....there is a reason Honda killed them off. (other than slow sales)

They weren't safe. Suicide doors, fuel tank hanging below floor level with flimsy frame exposed tank to road debris, and the driving dynamics are poor. I had one for two years. Reliable, etc....but never liked how it drove.

Considering cost of a good used vehicle for bike hauling, minivans are best overall deal. Am currently looking a used one from Enterprise rental lot. Fairly cheap. Don't want a loaded model....too much to go wrong as it ages, and I don't plan to garage it...so don't really want a super nice one.

Mikej
12-09-2016, 09:38 AM
okay OP- we need to specify several items when requesting car information-
1. Do bikes have to be inside.
2. How many bikes inside, if so.
3. How tall are you.
4. How many people inside. With bikes inside.
5. How much money do you want to spend.
6. What class or size vehicle are you looking at.
7. Do you hate the environment. (gas mileage)
8. What climate (snow?)
9. And most of all, what's your favorite color?
10. Roof or hitch?

Neil
12-09-2016, 09:46 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8621/30468943551_8a122d6e13_b.jpg

v531xc
12-09-2016, 09:49 AM

perfect!

Neil
12-09-2016, 09:51 AM
My alternative (can take more than two bikes):

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12356837_10153763048928638_5958688215824845480_o.j pg?oh=962948ebd5463efb758a1bad85e40ef4&oe=58F3C703

William
12-09-2016, 09:53 AM
My alternative (can take more than two bikes):

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12356837_10153763048928638_5958688215824845480_o.j pg?oh=962948ebd5463efb758a1bad85e40ef4&oe=58F3C703

Sweet Ride! Though I hate to break the news to you....but someone stole your steering wheel. :)

William

thirdgenbird
12-09-2016, 09:57 AM

You should make me one of those for an MGB.

woolly
12-09-2016, 03:11 PM
There's a lot to like about a Honda Fit. When I had my 2007 model, I could fit a Surly Big Dummy *INSIDE* just by taking the front wheel off. Now, the rear tire was right up against the rear hatch, and the fork tips were resting on the dash, but it fit (rear seats folded down, passenger seat back reclined all the way). With both front seats in "normal" position, could fit at least two bikes in the back w/ rear seats folded down - front wheels removed & using fork-mount board. Or, one bike in the rear w/ the seats in the "tall" mode, and still have the normal hatch space available. So many options. . .

It was a great car - cheap to buy, cheap to insure, great gas mileage, very reliable, and (especially with aftermarket wheels/tires), fun to drive. Actually, it still *is* a great car - my parents are enjoying their new-to-them little/big go-cart.

loimpact
12-09-2016, 03:53 PM
For questions:

I'm 6'2" which does eliminate clown cars but I'm fine in most compact stuff. My bikes are 58 & 60 so kinda big there too but front wheel off I cud easily slide my bike in the extra cab of my f150 scab. And both wheelsmoff easily fits in my Camry trunk.

Sunny so cal
Don't care either way on environment

I like the sound of the fit. I often hall half a junior race team and we've gotten creative in the past as I only have 2 fork mounts at the front of my truck bed but I wud the consider hauling more than 2 bikes in a smaller car. (Even if I cud hookup a 4 bike Thule off the back). 😉

Obviously with many boys bikes come many boys this my f150 scan has worked well when cramming 5 or even 6 in the cab area!

Not a big color snob either but just not black! 😎 Owned 1 black car in my life and never again. 🌨☀️

Idris Icabod
12-09-2016, 04:05 PM
After putting on a hitch on my Honda and buying a One-Up rack I think this is the best system for transporting bikes. A lot of friends have pick ups with multiple fork racks in the back and I find it a pain in the arse to remove the front wheel compared to the convenience of the 1-up system.

Stevemikesteve
12-09-2016, 04:13 PM
2010 Accord with roof racks and thule criterium frame mount bike holders. Can fit a bike inside car with no front wheel but I love the roof rack and have travelled some long trips with no issues. If I park for a longer while I'll leave a bike on roof with a cable lock secured between frame and cross bar of the rack. Used to have a truck and actually like this better now that I don't guzzle as much gas...

Andy sti
12-09-2016, 04:27 PM
I love my sprinter and it's about as good as you can get for a bike hauler.

josephr
12-09-2016, 04:43 PM
have a CX-5 and can lay down my bike and the gf's bike with the wheels on...have a hitch rack (Kuat) when needed as well. drives great, gets great mileage, etc. The small SUVs are the wagons of today -- lots of selection as well, although the small SUVs seem over-priced on the used market. In my 'dream' life, I'd have a AWD Sienna for bikes/camping gear.

12-09-2016, 04:44 PM
I keep going through this. A Ford Superduty long bed crew cab certainly hauls a lot. The issue is security for the bikes and keeping them dry if it does rain. A Subaru Outback is great for a couple bikes inside if you take over the back seat, and a rack on the roof or back handles even handles more. For track, one typically is carrying one road bike, one track bike, possibly another bike, and a lot of wheels plus rollers. Cross demands some of the same bike-intensive volume. And whatever you are hauling, you want to think about leaving the stuff you aren't actually riding at the moment in the car. A long-distance trip where you have to haul everything inside every night is not fun, and that's a limitation with outside racks as well.

The Transits are great for volume and ease of packing bikes, but the riding comfort (interior noise, vibration, etc.) is not as great. If I were a shop hauling a lot of racing employees who were young and tolerant, I'd think about the Transit (or even go bigger to a Sprinter). But it's not really a family car.

I did have two Honda Odysseys for both bikes and dogs. Frankly, it probably was the best way to haul a lot of equipment and people together. From what you describe, that's unfortunately probably the ideal choice. SUV's waste a lot of space and you need a big one to be able to roll in bikes upright, even with the front wheel off.

It all comes down to your personal use pattern. If bikes go in and out and don't need to be kept there while you aren't at the vehicle, racks give you a lot of versatility. Roof racks are a risk wherever there are low overheads and rear hitch receiver racks are a risk if someone hits your rear. But for kids' bikes and such, it may not matter as much.

martl
12-10-2016, 02:54 AM

Outback?

Family Truckster?

What say ye?

I have driven comparatively tiny VW Tourans (4,40m length).

It did Munich-Madrid-Munich with 5 grown men in 4 days in good comfort, which are 4000km, carried 3 persons with 3 bikes and holiday luggage, all indoors. Also 2 Persons/4 bikes/camping gear. If you are travelling alone, one bike fits in without any dismantling. For more/better space economy remove the front wheels and transport up to four bikes without any need for lube ;). Once, i took 7 of my antiques with me for an exhibition.
I'd say in car size/space available, such Minivans or whatever they are called are unrivalled.

it had a 170hp diesel engine and a sweet DSG, did 42mpg and ran >215km/h.

http://www.angurten.de/Bilder/abmessungen/600/55-03.jpg

https://www.adac.de/_ext/itr/tests/Autotest/AT1941_VW_Touran_19_TDI_Trendline_DSG_RPF/kofferraum_xl.jpg

I never saw any sense at all heaving a 20ft+ truck over the road to drag two tiny bicycles through the rain, but thats just lil old european me :D

alancw3
12-10-2016, 03:36 AM
+1 on a minivan. i can put second and third row seats down and either standup multiple bikes or just lay down one bike. also out of weather and secure from theft.

feel better than ever about the chryler van after seeing dave thompson pic above.

cetuximab
12-10-2016, 04:21 AM
https://www.cargogear.com/imagelibrary/images/sfspad-4bikes.jpg

I throw up to six bikes across the tailgate. If I leave bikes, it is easy to cable them.

I throw kayaks or SUPs and paddles in the back to go to the river.

Last winter I drove through 14 in of snow to get to the trailhead with my fatbike.

Subaru Outback wagon is a close second. I had an outback through most of undergrad and grad school. Long enough to sleep in the back.

JLQ
12-10-2016, 05:00 AM
My 2012 4Runner is the best bike hauler I've ever had - easily fits 3 up top and 3 on a hitch rack and the rear window goes down so you can access your gear with ease. Most of my driving is hwy and I average 19.2mpg, not too hateful.

That back window is what really sets it apart, why don't all SUV's do that?

Mikej
12-10-2016, 06:54 AM
My 2012 4Runner is the best bike hauler I've ever had - easily fits 3 up top and 3 on a hitch rack and the rear window goes down so you can access your gear with ease. Most of my driving is hwy and I average 19.2mpg, not too hateful.

That back window is what really sets it apart, why don't all SUV's do that?

Man I love 4runners-

martl
12-10-2016, 07:01 AM
https://www.cargogear.com/imagelibrary/images/sfspad-4bikes.jpg

I throw up to six bikes across the tailgate. If I leave bikes, it is easy to cable them.

I only own nice bikes. I don't wannt to throw any of them across any tailgates :)

oldpotatoe
12-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Any thread on bike hauling has to have this..:p

Nope, not me, I gots hair on me head.

OtayBW
12-10-2016, 08:26 AM
I'm a truck guy. I transport mostly in the bed on a fork mount bolted onto a piece of 2x6 clear cedar that sits freestanding in the bed. I also have an extended cab with another fork mount for when I need to lockerup. Works great!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/IMAG0286.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/zelmo_2006/media/IMAG0286.jpg.html)

loimpact
12-10-2016, 08:46 AM
I'm a truck guy. I transport mostly in the bed on a fork mount bolted onto a piece of 2x6 clear cedar that sits freestanding in the bed. I also have an extended cab with another fork mount for when I need to lockerup. Works great!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/IMAG0286.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/zelmo_2006/media/IMAG0286.jpg.html)

Just to be sure on that last part.....you lock up how? (I know on my scab I can throw 1 bike in the back when front wheel off in case I need to run into a store or something. Just can't sit anybody back there as the bike is end to end top to bottom, filling up the whole extra cab part)

OtayBW
12-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Just to be sure on that last part.....you lock up how? (I know on my scab I can throw 1 bike in the back when front wheel off in case I need to run into a store or something. Just can't sit anybody back there as the bike is end to end top to bottom, filling up the whole extra cab part)Bike goes in the rear end of the cab, just as you see it except cross-wise. I have plenty of room for kit and other stuff - just no people seating, which is fine with me.

fourflys
12-10-2016, 09:48 AM
I like my Tacoma... I have the fork mounts that slide in the channel in the bed of the truck, I use the Rocky Mounts but there are others... a close second was when I had my mini-van, lots of room if you're just looking at hauling capabilities... but then you have a mini-van and not a Tacoma... :D

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server3100/e806f/product_images/uploaded_images/nissan-frontier-rocky-mounts-clutch-sd-3.jpg?t=1398725710

Neil
12-10-2016, 10:00 AM
You can get a lot of bikes in the back of the Volvo, with ancillary items plus luggage, but moving bikes onto the tow-hitch rack is a lot more convenient from a loading and interior cleanliness perspective. Does limit speed to around 90mph though, with the bikes in the car it was still pulling hard at 146.

Gummee
12-10-2016, 10:25 AM
You need to ditch all that roof rack and hitch rack stuff and go straight to nirvana: Transit sportsmobile! (http://sportsmobile.com/transit-eb-lb-plans/)

I'm thinking 131T

M

Schmed
12-10-2016, 10:29 AM
I love my sprinter and it's about as good as you can get for a bike hauler.

+1 on a Sprinter (or Ford Transit). Can't imagine a better bike vehicle. Not for everyone, though :D

fourflys
12-10-2016, 11:06 AM
+1 on a Sprinter (or Ford Transit). Can't imagine a better bike vehicle. Not for everyone, though :D

I'd agree if all I was doing was hauling bikes like a mobile mechanic or something... but I guess I can't imagine driving a Sprinter or Transit as my daily driver, at least the ones I've seen...

Fatty
12-10-2016, 11:27 AM
I don't own a Town Car but do own a Ford product based on the same "Panther" chassis.
Fantastic all around vehicle and bike hauler.

bmeryman
12-11-2016, 06:12 PM
I like Tacomas.

Mine's 2wd, 5 spd, and usually gets around 24mpg in mixed driving.

Here it is carrying 13 bikes across town (don't worry, I used ratchet straps):
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae263/maximumunicorn/Screen%20Shot%202016-12-11%20at%208.35.09%20AM_zpsswbns5xd.png (http://s978.photobucket.com/user/maximumunicorn/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-12-11%20at%208.35.09%20AM_zpsswbns5xd.png.html)

likebikes
12-12-2016, 12:26 AM
man i miss vermont.

soulspinner
12-12-2016, 05:27 AM
I like my Tacoma... I have the fork mounts that slide in the channel in the bed of the truck, I use the Rocky Mounts but there are others... a close second was when I had my mini-van, lots of room if you're just looking at hauling capabilities... but then you have a mini-van and not a Tacoma... :D

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server3100/e806f/product_images/uploaded_images/nissan-frontier-rocky-mounts-clutch-sd-3.jpg?t=1398725710

That's the way I did it with my Taco.Miss that truck. Need the new one.

PeregrineA1
12-12-2016, 09:23 AM
While I loved most of my Tacoma-size, power, versatility-I could not abide the seats and the view out the top of the wind shield.

The seats had lousy, for me, thigh support. When I had them positioned so that the reach for legs and arms was where I wanted it, I would get IT band pain. And I don't have IT band pain at any other time. The same position would also mean that when I was first in line at most stop lights, and behind the limit line, I couldn't see the light without ducking my head.

I want to like it enough to keep long term, but sold and thanks to great resale, did just fine.

As far as carrying bike. Mazda 3 fits two inside with the front wheel off and a piece of cardboard between them. Though the One-up is the most common way the Mazda moves bikes. F-250 carries....well a lot of bikes.

djg21
12-12-2016, 09:31 AM
man i miss vermont.

Me too. '85 Catamount.

djg21
12-12-2016, 09:33 AM
That's the way I did it with my Taco.Miss that truck. Need the new one.

I have two of these mounts in my garage somewhere. I used them briefly until I got a cap for my truck. If anyone's in need, let me know.

benc
12-12-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm partial to this. Best vehicle for everything.

Fatty
12-12-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm partial to this. Best vehicle for everything.

I was at the same spot a few years back. Personally I think the word "amazing" is overused but it definitely applies to that place. Got off the paved road and did a little dirt/sand touring. In a Mustang convertible.

a4racer
12-12-2016, 12:44 PM
my 1999 Mitsubishi Delica (I'm in Canada, so no issue getting a Delica of that vintage registered up here).

Comes on a 4" lift kit, and in stock configuration, seats 8 (more than a mini-van) in a footprint that is smaller. In bike mode, it easily fits two full-sized bikes without wheels being removed, and a kid's bike to boot. In that same mode, seats four adults, comfortably, with plenty of room for gear, luggage, pumps, spares, etc.. Sure, it's RHD, and weird-looking, but so am I (the latter, at least).

We call it the "special-ops van".

bmeryman
12-12-2016, 08:05 PM
man i miss vermont.

Me too. '85 Catamount.

If you visit sometime I'm sure I could scrounge up a couple bikes for a ride. :)

572cv
12-12-2016, 08:12 PM
If you visit sometime I'm sure I could scrounge up a couple bikes for a ride. :)

If it's Champlain Valley, maybe even a few other paceliners, if the ride is slow enough :) Lots of good bakeries on lots of routes in the area, too....

Louis
12-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Re: Town Cars

Back in the mid 80's I had a 1970 Impala who's trunk would swallow my 62 cm Trek 400 whole, without even taking the front wheel off.

The only drawback was the gas mileage...

Here's a nice example (not mine).

http://images.mautofied.com/adphotos/10267872_201291884922.jpg

loimpact
12-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Yes! Nice! Just a racing team vinyl wrap & call it done! (A race tea of about 2, of course) ;)

And the Lincoln Town Car was certainly a trunk-o-saurus as well!! Nice beast!! Rented one for high school prom a bazillion years ago! :beer:

Borrowing the in-laws' Toyota Sienna. ('07 I think) Might give me a good feel for what I can do with it.

:fight:

Re: Town Cars

Back in the mid 80's I had a 1970 Impala who's trunk would swallow my 62 cm Trek 400 whole, without even taking the front wheel off.

The only drawback was the gas mileage...

Here's a nice example (not mine).

http://images.mautofied.com/adphotos/10267872_201291884922.jpg

4funbikes
12-13-2016, 05:57 AM
I owned a 2007 mazda 5 "micro-van" that I thoroughly enjoyed. 5 speed trans was an option too. Would recommend the 08-13 models.

benc
12-13-2016, 03:32 PM
my 1999 Mitsubishi Delica (I'm in Canada, so no issue getting a Delica of that vintage registered up here).

Comes on a 4" lift kit, and in stock configuration, seats 8 (more than a mini-van) in a footprint that is smaller. In bike mode, it easily fits two full-sized bikes without wheels being removed, and a kid's bike to boot. In that same mode, seats four adults, comfortably, with plenty of room for gear, luggage, pumps, spares, etc.. Sure, it's RHD, and weird-looking, but so am I (the latter, at least).

We call it the "special-ops van".

I'd dump the Vanagon for a '99 Delica in a heartbeat. Starting to see more and more of them stateside as they hit the 25yo mark.

bmeryman
12-13-2016, 06:02 PM
I'd dump the Vanagon for a '99 Delica in a heartbeat. Starting to see more and more of them stateside as they hit the 25yo mark.

The first year of the 4th gen Delica (L400) will be 25 years old in 2019. If I had the resources I'd buy one now in Canada at a reasonable rate and keep it here until I can register it in a few years. I expect prices will rise quickly once they're street legal in the US.

purpurite
12-13-2016, 06:32 PM

They weren't safe. Suicide doors, fuel tank hanging below floor level with flimsy frame exposed tank to road debris, and the driving dynamics are poor. I had one for two years. Reliable, etc....but never liked how it drove.

Not liking how it drove and calling it "unsafe" are very different. Can you support your claims of unsafe with some proof to back it up? Outside of your Nader-like claim, I've NEVER once heard anyone call an Element unsafe.

The reason they killed it was because it wasn't profitable. It cost more to make than they sold if for. That's why it's gone. If you look, there are a TON of Elements on the road, and they hold their value tremendously well.

BobO
12-13-2016, 07:06 PM
My Ford Expedition will fit 3 road bikes inside, standing up. It takes some effort to learn how to get them in, but it works.

Or, one bike and four passengers and a bunch of luggage.

AngryScientist
12-13-2016, 07:18 PM
it totally depends on what the priorities are. is fuel efficiency important? power? handling? room? you just cant have it all.

my honda odyssey is a great bike trip vehicle. holds gobs of bikes and stuff and people and car seats with no problem. driving it in a spirited fashion on twisty mountain roads however is not a ton of fun. actually driving it in general is not "fun", it's more of an appliance vehicle.

there is no "best" vehicle, or best cycling vehicle. you just need to prioritize what features are most important.

if you are just looking for fun suggestions, i throw out a restored chevy syclone. yes. this could definitely check a few of the appropriate boxes for a fun biking vehicle.

http://cdn.chevyhardcore.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/28/files/2011/03/Syclone.jpg

cv1966
12-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Anyone have one? I may be in the market for new (another) vehicle pretty soon.

559Rando
12-13-2016, 09:15 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161214/b3237fe5b2d4404342333c59589b34ca.jpg

Wagons. I miss my Roadmaster Estate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dana Kilalps
12-13-2016, 09:42 PM
I've been driving a 2008 Mazda 3 four door. With only the front wheel off, a 57 cm bike with seat height of 41 inches fits crossways in the boot without laying down the rear seats.

loimpact
12-13-2016, 10:31 PM
I've been driving a 2008 Mazda 3 four door. With only the front wheel off, a 57 cm bike with seat height of 41 inches fits crossways in the boot without laying down the rear seats.

How have you liked the car overall?

Did you buy it new?

Kirk007
12-13-2016, 10:55 PM
Elements are great simple vehicles that haul a lot of stuff.

They weren't safe.

Top Safety Pick:http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/element-4-door-suv

64 cm road bike rolls right in. Put both seats up or take em out and put 4 bikes upright in there. Simple interior and floor coverings make them perfect for scuba diving. Oh and really great for dogs particularly with Honda dog package. No it doesn't drive like a sports car and it gets crappy mileage but for a comfortable, reliable hauler with AWD and good snow driving behaviour I have no complaints.

adamhell
12-14-2016, 12:35 AM
i used to fit bikes in my 2002 wrx wagon. i can fit even more bikes and crap in my girlfriend's 83 volvo station wagon.

Fatty
12-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Wagons. I miss my Roadmaster Estate.

You have good taste in cars. Or did anyway.

Neil
12-18-2016, 07:19 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/398/30877794294_f27e03b523_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/604/31572944422_c5e9acc8af_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/408/31682239726_ecda299c70_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/370/30877794404_26b6bd5dbc_b.jpg

I'm pretty convinced that this is close to optimal - keeps the bikes out of the wind, out of harms way from low bridges/entrances etc, and the light board on the back duplicates your indicators/brake lights and has an illuminated number plate. Takes 30 seconds to take off and stow in the garage/install from the garage.

stien
12-18-2016, 07:31 AM
I'm a pretty big fan of having bikes entirely inside for reasons like 100% weather protection and theft deterrent. We go to races in my wife's 2007 Prius with two road bikes (not taken apart at all) and plenty of other gear. We've taken the dogs with 2-3 bikes (front wheels off) in my 2005 Highlander. I actually removed the single seat in the back so that I could stand bikes straight up in the back.

That being said, we don't need to travel with our fat bikes any more so I'm toying with selling my SUV to purchase another sports car. If I did need to move fat bikes, it would be a hitch rack on the Prius.

My wife also loves the idea of arriving at a race in a convertible with two bikes on the back like I used to when I was single! :banana:

Gummee
12-18-2016, 08:06 AM
My wife also loves the idea of arriving at a race in a convertible with two bikes on the back like I used to when I was single! :banana:

I used to drive to races in an MG Midget, so I getcha

I'm a big fan of 'bikes inside' I'm a bigger fan of 'changing inside, out of the weather' so I'm looking for a Transit to make into a race vehicle.

M

belopsky
12-18-2016, 08:11 AM
I have a Tacoma with a LEER cap, and it's actually very annoying putting a bike in. They do not fit upright. I made my own mount (2x4 and quick release axle locks) so once in, I can secure them comfortably however (once the front wheel is off)

Neil
12-18-2016, 11:37 AM
I used to put the bikes inside, seriously limits the amount of luggage you can haul to your riding destination. Of course, a larger vehicle resolves that.

559Rando
12-21-2016, 11:01 PM
So I've had this thread in my subscription and have to ask. By Town Car (in the title), are you referring to the Lincoln Towncar?

I'm not trying to be funny. I am actually following this thread with some interest because I'll probably be moving this year and needing to add a second car to the household. Bike portage is on my list. That said, I'll probably score a used Honda/Toyota SUV or minivan. But part of my thinks a sedan and a trailer hitch is hunky dory.

And them Lincolns are pretty danged sweet, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk