PDA

View Full Version : Ergopower der ferrules?

merlincustom1
12-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Attached is a pic of latest generation Chorus 11 ergolever with ferrule in place pre-housing. Is this correct? Use ferrule or not here? Thanks.

SleepyCyclist
12-08-2016, 06:51 PM
No ferrule in shifter body. There is a small brass ring in the body itself.

I got it stuck in there really well before I realized that...quite the chore to get out!

M

FlashUNC
12-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Nope. No ferrule in the lever.

merlincustom1
12-09-2016, 04:10 AM
Thanks. I asked because this new Chorus is replacing my 1999 Record, which accepted a ferrule in the lever body, as the opening in the body was deeper. The new one seems to just allow for the housing to butt up against the body.

My next question is cable routing. The bars have no grooves. I've searched old threads on this. Old P says to route the der cables kind of under and behind the bars, but the way the Chorus der cable exits the lever seems to cry out for routing in the front. The pick below from the Campy website doesn't seem to depict the new Chorus lever, as it looks like A and B should be reversed. The Chorus lever has the brake cable exiting from the lateral side of the bars, opposite from the photo. Any routing suggestions?

oldpotatoe
12-09-2016, 05:29 AM
Attached is a pic of latest generation Chorus 11 ergolever with ferrule in place pre-housing. Is this correct? Use ferrule or not here? Thanks.

NO ferrule in there, just clean cut 4mm housing. There's a wee brass washer in the lever 'hole', need to check it's still there.

Unless the frame is small, do picture 10..DER housing behind bars, brake housing in front. That picture is indeed 2008 and older lever but two 'holes' and 2 routing choices for 2009+ levers. Just have to re-route cable thru the hole, over the guide, that allows for behind hbar routing.

Hindmost
12-09-2016, 10:20 AM
NO...There's a wee brass washer in the lever 'hole', need to check it's still there...

The washer generally stays in place. But if one is fiddling about with cables and liners the washer can go MIA and that creates another problem.

drewellison
12-09-2016, 10:27 AM
NO Unless the frame is small, do picture 10..DER housing behind bars, brake housing in front.

I ride large frames and have always routed both housings in front, as in picture 11. What's the advantage to going one front, one back? Is it personal preference, or is there a mechanical or ergonomic benefit?

DRietz
12-09-2016, 10:40 AM
I ride large frames and have always routed both housings in front, as in picture 11. What's the advantage to going one front, one back? Is it personal preference, or is there a mechanical or ergonomic benefit?

There's noticeably less friction in running the shifter housing behind the bar, as it makes a much more gradual arc compared to routing it in front.

FlashUNC
12-09-2016, 10:47 AM
I've had bikes with both, I prefer the routing up front for both at like the 4:00 o'clock position. Don't even notice they're there.

SleepyCyclist
12-09-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm in the front routing crowd too. Don't like the feel of the cable under my palms if routed in the back. Shifting has been fine for me.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/81f099d6e1da3401a3cf39bb57607619.jpg

DRietz
12-09-2016, 11:10 AM
When I say "noticeable," maybe that's just to me after a decade's worth of wrenching on bikes and racing them at a pretty high level. :o

To each their own regarding ergonomics. Even though I spend maybe less than 5% of any given ride on the tops, I enjoy the cable "shelf" when I am there. It's almost like a less extreme version of a "wing" top handlebar.