PDA

View Full Version : OT: Netflix "Fauda"

vav
12-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Just watched "Fauda" on Netflix. Wow. Very intense views on the Israeli-Palestinian (Hamas) conflict.

93legendti
12-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Just watched "Fauda" on Netflix. Wow. Very intense views on the Israeli-Palestinian (Hamas) conflict.
How timely. I just watch the 12 episodes in less than a 12 hour span. And I'm re-watching some of the episodes...I've been to many of those places (Tulqarem, Nablus and Tapoah Junction) and know those fighters. I found it intense and mesmerizing. I hope there is a second season.

Which was your favorite episode?

bobswire
12-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I was considering watching it.

93legendti
12-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Looks like there will be a second season:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/next-seasons-fauda-to-reflect-real-news-says-creator/

vav
12-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Which was your favorite episode?

I don't want to spoil it. The 9th or 10th I believe. Where they go "TNT crazy"

93legendti
12-07-2016, 11:45 AM
I don't want to spoil it. The 9th or 10th I believe. Where they go "TNT crazy"

I liked the first episode.

AngryScientist
12-07-2016, 11:46 AM
is this a documentary or fiction?

RonW87
12-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Fiction.

vav
12-07-2016, 11:50 AM
fiction but very real

93legendti
12-07-2016, 12:00 PM
It's more real than fiction. Obviously names have been changed on both sides, but the Middle East doesn't require fiction for wild stories. Like I said, I know this unit. I have several family members and friends who served there. I've heard many of their stories. I was at their base this summer.

Google "The Engineer".

fignon's barber
12-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Just watched the first episode. Good, but I wish I spoke Hebrew. The English dubbing is like listening to Iron Chef dialogue.

93legendti
12-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Just watched the first episode. Good, but I wish I spoke Hebrew. The English dubbing is like listening to Iron Chef dialogue.
The Hebrew translations are pretty good, but many Hebrew sayings don't translate well into English. Many Israelis use Arabic words as slang...yaala, habibi, al haqafa, walla, ahalan, achla and certain swear words. Hebrew doesn't have swear words.

Most of the show is actually in Arabic...some say as much as 75% is in Arabic. Arabic and Hebrew share many words.

Many reviewers claim the shows portrays Hamas sympathetically. I don't want to spoil anything, but I find that depiction interesting.

dustyrider
12-08-2016, 06:09 PM
I can't seem to make out the difference between the two warring factions. They look the same and sound the same. They keep acting on revenge, yet appear to be extremely religious. Irony?

My own ignorance of the issues in this region is mostly to blame I'm sure, but it's all too predictable. 4 episodes deep and nothing has come as a surprise. Except the fact that so many women still allow themselves to be marginalized by their faith, and I would not be able to handle the physical affections each side shows towards each other. I can barely stand to shake someone's hand never mind all the neck touching...over and over again for a simple greeting or to console.

Aside from the random drone footage, it seems Like a decent production. And I might as well watch the rest. Thanks for the heads up.

93legendti
12-09-2016, 10:29 AM
"I can't seem to make out the difference between the two warring factions. They look the same and sound the same. They keep acting on revenge, yet appear to be extremely religious. Irony?"

There is nothing religious about the Israeli figures. They are 100% secular. They don't even wear yarmulkes (let alone payot or Tzitzit) and the women all wear tank tops. The married Israeli women don't cover their hair in public. That the Israeli men and women work in close proximity and as a team is another dead giveaway. They are the exact opposite of "extremely religious".

As far as "marginalizing", Nurit is in for 8200 which is akin to the NSA and is the most prestigious intelligence unit in Israel. (It was written in the WSJ that a honorable discharge from 8200 can get you a very good job with any firm on Wall Street.) Obviously, the men rely upon her and she is invaluable to the Unit.

dustyrider
12-09-2016, 01:53 PM
"I can't seem to make out the difference between the two warring factions. They look the same and sound the same. They keep acting on revenge, yet appear to be extremely religious. Irony?"

There is nothing religious about the Israeli figures. They are 100% secular. They don't even wear yarmulkes (let alone payot or Tzitzit) and the women all wear tank tops. The married Israeli women don't cover their hair in public. That the Israeli men and women work in close proximity and as a team is another dead giveaway. They are the exact opposite of "extremely religious".

As far as "marginalizing", Nurit is in for 8200 which is akin to the NSA and is the most prestigious intelligence unit in Israel. (It was written in the WSJ that a honorable discharge from 8200 can get you a very good job with any firm on Wall Street.) Obviously, the men rely upon her and she is invaluable to the Unit.

I respectfully disagree. Her boss uses her for sex. They don't think she has a place on the missions. Except Doron who uses everyone for his own endeavors (just like he treats his wife). Nurit is talked down to by the dude they blow up. Yea, he lost his girlfriend but still going on her first mission and hitting on her doesn't spell respect to me.

I guess you're right about them not covering themselves up, and holding a position in an office but certainly seem marginalized from this layman's view. I keep reading the jews saying religious things, but maybe that's arab their speaking in...I just can't tell.

I'll finish the series tonight, but I'm guessing the old radical Arab that Doron has a beef with will be killed by the young radical arab and we'll see both of these radicals, doron and the young radical arab, playing their own similar parts for their respected governments/ideologies. All while the governments disavow any knowledge of their actions. Revenge begets Revenge. It's a tail as old as the human race....