PDA

View Full Version : The best Garmin unit for racing/training - your opinions please!

AJosiahK
12-06-2016, 06:46 AM
Looking to upgrade my racer partners Garmin 800. Its getting slow and has lots of miles/falls/mud/rain etc. And has started to freeze and loose Bluetooth/ ANT connections on a more regular basis. Not cool to loose power readings in the middle of power specific training sessions.

Not at all interested in being 'connected' to strava and all that BS, but that seems to come with all the new units.

So she likes all the data, naturally as an analyst and uses it to its fullest extent.

Im looking at 520 VS 820 right now. But open to others too of course

What are your favorite features of the units you all have? Did you get a lower model and regret it, or vice versa?

Thanks for your input!

ajk

R3awak3n
12-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Seems like the 520 is the best option unless she wants maps (which the 520 does but with a few more quirks).

I don't have any of those but almost bought a 520 so I researched quite a bit. I ended up with a 1000 which I wont recommend for anyone that does not nees maps (touch screen and bigger screen makes it the best for that).

nooneline
12-06-2016, 07:52 AM
I still use a 500 and haven't found it lacking.

chiasticon
12-06-2016, 07:55 AM
if she likes to see as much data as possible at once, the 810 or 820 are great. nice big numbers and you can fit a ton on the screen. kinda overkill if you don't need maps though.

Clancy
12-06-2016, 08:10 AM
I'm not all that thrilled with my 520. I cannot see the screen when the computer is in direct light, which is very frustrating. What's the point if I can't see the thing? With backlight it's better but than that runs the battery down.

I don't seem to remember that issue with the 500. But with that said, I've always had minor gripes about every Garmin I've owned.

Wahoo computers get consistently positive reviews. When my 520 dies, I'm looking at Wahoo.

superbowlpats
12-06-2016, 08:39 AM
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

adrien
12-06-2016, 08:42 AM
For that I would suggest 820. I have a 1000, but I use maps a lot, as well as the routing back to origin.

I would have a look at Garmin apps. The reason I raise this is that it's not only the data, but also how they are depicted. Some apps are only for the 1000 and the 820 (presumably because of screen size) and others also go for the 520.

My personal favorite is "charts" which presents more of a dashboard that is configurable and very useful at a glance on the bike.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/;jsessionid=2F9E76E53803DEFE90FBF819953F9EF0

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f93c3c35-ce80-4758-9714-bd5b6b33cc61

simonov
12-06-2016, 01:09 PM
I have a 520 and an 820. The 820 is great for travel where mapping comes in handy. It also has a nice display for preprogrammed workouts. But the touchscreen is finicky and useless in rain. The 520 is much better for racing, I think, because the buttons are easy to use and you never have to worry about sweat or water making it tough to use the interface.

shovelhd
12-06-2016, 01:15 PM
IMO the best head unit for racing is the SRM PC8. No maps, no turn by turn, no color. It's a straightforward head unit that was designed from the ground up for racing. Big display that is easy to read in all conditions. Direct interface to Strava if you care about that.

ptourkin
12-06-2016, 01:57 PM
I like the long battery life of my PC8 for endurance events, but if I was doing it over, I'd get the Wahoo Elmnt. SRM is locked into one permanent feature set and haven't even delivered on that since it was promised in 2014. The Wahoo and Garmins have the ability to add features and apps via updates and have actually done so. Also, look at Lezyne - their units have been favorably reviewed.

My PC8 will probably be heading for repairs soon, as it is one of many with dieing keyboards.

Gummee
12-06-2016, 02:34 PM
I still use a 500 and haven't found it lacking.

The best thing about the 520 as an upgrade is no more turning on the unit and waiting around for the computer to find itself again. My 520 will find satellites inside the house...

Like everyone has said: if you don't need mapping, the 520 is more than plenty.

HTH

M

loimpact
12-06-2016, 06:13 PM
I'm not all that thrilled with my 520. I cannot see the screen when the computer is in direct light, which is very frustrating. What's the point if I can't see the thing? With backlight it's better but than that runs the battery down.

I don't seem to remember that issue with the 500. But with that said, I've always had minor gripes about every Garmin I've owned.

Wahoo computers get consistently positive reviews. When my 520 dies, I'm looking at Wahoo.

Since I don't own anything except my old forerunner 305 ;) is the 820 easier to see in the sun?

My only criteria wud be:

Visibility
Ease of use
Ability to sync right to strava

Well, good battery life wud be nice too!

Sorry for the hijack. ;)

shovelhd
12-06-2016, 06:17 PM
I like the long battery life of my PC8 for endurance events, but if I was doing it over, I'd get the Wahoo Elmnt. SRM is locked into one permanent feature set and haven't even delivered on that since it was promised in 2014. The Wahoo and Garmins have the ability to add features and apps via updates and have actually done so. Also, look at Lezyne - their units have been favorably reviewed.

My PC8 will probably be heading for repairs soon, as it is one of many with dieing keyboards.

There is a new keyboard and seal available. They should replace it for free.

ptourkin
12-06-2016, 06:33 PM
There is a new keyboard and seal available. They should replace it for free.

Awesome. Thanks.

old fat man
12-06-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm a new, but happy Wahoo Elemnt owner. Today I was doing some micro intervals and I quickly set up a new page/screen specific to my workout. Also, it has LED's on the side that show different colors depending on you current power output. Don't need to read the numbers, just quickly glance at the colors.

AJosiahK
12-07-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm a new, but happy Wahoo Elemnt owner. Today I was doing some micro intervals and I quickly set up a new page/screen specific to my workout. Also, it has LED's on the side that show different colors depending on you current power output. Don't need to read the numbers, just quickly glance at the colors.

That's pretty cool, the color Led changes. Nice touch

nooneline
12-07-2016, 08:22 AM
The best thing about the 520 as an upgrade is no more turning on the unit and waiting around for the computer to find itself again. My 520 will find satellites inside the house...

Like everyone has said: if you don't need mapping, the 520 is more than plenty.

HTH

M

OK - that sounds handy.
And, something that the 500 and 520 both lack that some other Garmin models have (which i think would be really handy) is wifi, so that it can sync with your services when you bring it in your house. Not having to connect to a computer to upload to Training Peaks or import into Golden Cheetah would be a real plus.

KonaSS
12-07-2016, 09:00 AM
And, something that the 500 and 520 both lack that some other Garmin models have (which i think would be really handy) is wifi, so that it can sync with your services when you bring it in your house. Not having to connect to a computer to upload to Training Peaks or import into Golden Cheetah would be a real plus.

Just FYI - With the 520, you can use the Bluetooth connection to upload to Trainingpeaks automatically. You may have to set that up through Garmin connect. Not sure you can with Golden Cheetah.

nooneline
12-07-2016, 09:04 AM
ah! so it bluetooths to your phone and piggybacks on the phone's connection. neat.

i think the way to connect it to GC would be to have it upload to TPeaks or similar, and then just sit down at your computer, open GC, and have it sync with your TPeaks. that would be handy. but then again there's room for a lot of ease-of-use upgrades to Golden Cheetah - though it sounds like Liversedge is doing some good usability research.

loimpact
12-09-2016, 10:09 AM
OK - that sounds handy.

Just FYI - With the 520, you can use the Bluetooth connection to upload to Trainingpeaks automatically. You may have to set that up through Garmin connect. Not sure you can with Golden Cheetah.

Ok and just for my ignorant self (I thought the 520 *did* have wifi and thus its advantage over the others.) I really just want to not have to plug in to upload to STRAVA!!!!! Otherwise I might as well keep using my old forerunner and phone in my jersey pocket, no?

drewellison
12-09-2016, 10:33 AM
I think the best Garmin would not be a Garmin. It'd be a Wahoo Elemnt. I've got a 520 and it's fine (and some of the recent software updates have helped in terms of reliability and features), but if I were to buy new right now, I'd get the Elemnt - better screen (no color, but b&w contrast looks very good), better user interface, and their customer service sounds very responsive.

Lewis Moon
12-09-2016, 10:42 AM
I think the best Garmin would not be a Garmin. It'd be a Wahoo Elemnt. I've got a 520 and it's fine (and some of the recent software updates have helped in terms of reliability and features), but if I were to buy new right now, I'd get the Elemnt - better screen (no color, but b&w contrast looks very good), better user interface, and their customer service sounds very responsive.

Same here. I absolutely love my Elemnt. Love the larger screen, automatic upload to several different databases, the fact that you program it on your phone rather than punching buttons on the unit. My wife loves that she can actually see where I am while I'm riding.
IMHO, Garmin has been "phoning it in" for a while.

old fat man
12-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Same here. I absolutely love my Elemnt. Love the larger screen, automatic upload to several different databases, the fact that you program it on your phone rather than punching buttons on the unit. My wife loves that she can actually see where I am while I'm riding.
IMHO, Garmin has been "phoning it in" for a while.

I used a 305, then a 500, then an 800 before getting my Elemnt. I would not rate the Elemnt as a huge improvement over the 800. It has some benefits as described, but I have the following gripes about the Elemnt

- lack of street names and inability to customize the map that is loaded is frustrating. I liked the maps better on the 800, though the screen on the 800 was harder to read
- the buttons are stiff and awkward shaped. They almost hurt to push
- the screen is small, given the overall size of the unit
- it's ugly looking - it's big and blocky