PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky BB30 solution - Not for purists!

Clancy
12-05-2016, 07:44 PM
So I picked this tip up from the bike tech at my LBS. I've tried it on three different bikes and so far all three are rolling squeak free.

Very simple, drip a little Tri-Flow around the bearing shell, both sides. That's it.

A friend has done this on his CD Evo Six and he's also had good luck, repeating when the squeaking returns. In his case that's about 6 months of riding.

I know there are recommended techniques which involve removing the bearings and applying different joint assembly compound depending on the measured tolerances. But so far this trick seems to work.

Does it need to be more complicated?

peanutgallery
12-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Yes, it does have to be more complicated than that. Unfortunately, I have never had any luck drizzling a bearing with tri flo. Remove, clean and re-install with green loctite. You should probably just replace the bearings at that point, too. Use the Park tool for bb30's

Oddly enough, noticed that Specialized has ditched the bb30 on several models for 2017. Threads, baby!!!!!

booglebug
12-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Praxis BB 30 cured my problems

Gummee
12-06-2016, 02:41 PM
I've got an Enduro Torq-tite on the way.

M

lhuerta
12-06-2016, 03:22 PM
609 (or stronger) and primer....do it right and be done with it (per Cannonade spec). However, given that your bearings are already dancing around in the shell (squeaking, creaking and grinding) it is possible that you have worn down the tolerances of your shell limiting your options to some heavy aftermarket option.

JAGI410
12-06-2016, 04:10 PM
I thought Purists don't do BB30/PF30 nor their equivalents?

johnniecakes
12-06-2016, 07:08 PM
I hope I am wrong here. So lubricant is added to silence a sound coming from the movement between 2 surfaces that are press fit together. On industrial machines ( I work for a machinery OEM ) a press fit between 2 parts does not move. If it does the tolerance on one or both parts is wrong. By adding lubricant the movement is aided and in the long term the parts will most likely only get loser. I am afraid this fix is only mask to larger problem.

lhuerta
12-06-2016, 07:16 PM
...precisely!