PDA

View Full Version : Denver/Boulder riding in mid-December

srsoltis
12-05-2016, 01:08 PM
I plan to be in the Denver area next week and will have at least three days to ride (2-5 hours each). In the past, I have ridden out of Boulder (Boulder-Lyons-Nederland-Boulder, up and down Lefthand Canyon, etc.) Are these roads in good shape this time of year?

I can bring my CX/gravel bike. Would that be better? I think I could piece together parts of the Boulder Grind or even just stick to pavement.

Would the roads be better south of Denver or out of Golden? It looks like it might be a little drier.

Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.

gdw
12-05-2016, 01:36 PM
The weather along the Front Range is unpredictable in December. It's supposed snow a few days this week and we'll probably see more before the holidays. Check the forecasts a few days before your flight and then decide whether it's worth bringing your bike. Conditions won't vary much between Boulder, Denver, or Golden.

mgm777
12-05-2016, 02:13 PM
^This!

xjoex
12-05-2016, 03:24 PM
The Peak to Peak highway has snow and ice on the shoulders right now, I would avoid the riding on that. But you can probably do the ride out to Carter Lake from Boulder no matter what the weather is like.

If you have a fat bike, the conditions are perfect! Rent one from Dave at Redstone Cyclery in Lyons and go to Peaceful Valley.

Cheers,
-Joe

Schmed
12-05-2016, 03:40 PM
You'll have a good chance of at least one or more of those days being rideable. Even if we get snow, it's typically sunny and 48 degrees the next day (don't tell anyone, though, too many people live here the way it is). Lots of good back roads between Boulder and Longmont to get in some miles. Canyons wouldn't be rideable if we get snow prior to your rides. I'd bring a cross bike for that.

I agree on the fatbike idea, though. Marshall Mesa, Lyons, Golden, all would have rideable (possibly cold, though) on a fatbike.

Ken Robb
12-05-2016, 04:00 PM
You will have a wonderful opportunity for good skiing so why mess around with a bike? :-)

srsoltis
12-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Thank you for all of the responses. I like the idea of a fatbike if the roads are too wet or snowy. As for skiing, I think I will save that for another trip.

Louis
12-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Lots of Denver area info in this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=155386

oldpotatoe
12-06-2016, 05:25 AM
I plan to be in the Denver area next week and will have at least three days to ride (2-5 hours each). In the past, I have ridden out of Boulder (Boulder-Lyons-Nederland-Boulder, up and down Lefthand Canyon, etc.) Are these roads in good shape this time of year?

I can bring my CX/gravel bike. Would that be better? I think I could piece together parts of the Boulder Grind or even just stick to pavement.

Would the roads be better south of Denver or out of Golden? It looks like it might be a little drier.

Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.

Gonna find some snow up by Ned, probably some up to Jamestown and Ward. Road up left hand still under construction too.

..going to snow tomorrow, be cold as ****e until the WE then low-mid 40s.

I'd use the wet/dirt type bike.