PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Colorado lt

seaswood
12-05-2016, 08:30 AM
A nother Colorado lt being reused.

TC55L. 01688

I think that serial is correct little hard to read, the first set is correct.
These were made early 90's?
Covered in touch ups but frame looks good.
After TG frame was fixed had a ride decided to look for another frame (below) to replace Centurion as everyday rainy day ride.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-BwzGN98/0/M/IMG_0344-M.jpg

oliver1850
12-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Nice find. I'm still looking for one in the 58-61 range. Pretty sure that's a 1992, which was the last year for them. Same paint is featured on the LT in the 1991 catalog. They may have only been made in 1991 and 1992. 1990 is a question mark until we come up with a catalog. I still think the catalog we have listed in the catalog section as 1989 may in fact be 1990. In that catalog there's a Colorado Concept listed, which is a lugged Prestige frame while the CII was Columbus. I've never seen a CC so don't know how it differed from the LT.

cueoner
12-05-2016, 10:38 AM
I have the exact same Colorado LT frame in a size 54.
Serial number TC54 01652. When I bought it, I was told it was a 1992.

Same paint scheme, pearl white with blue decals. I've since had it stripped and repainted though. It's a great ride, enjoy it!

seaswood
12-05-2016, 11:09 AM
TC55L

Does the L at the end designate long?

All gear came off a Centurion Tange frame I am betting this is a better ride tho.

Any preferences for repaint shop or is Bilinkey as good as any?

cash05458
12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
I have one of those Colorado Lt's in black and green...pretty much my favorite go to everyday ride out of 5 nice frames...think the geo was a bit longer on length was the idea...but a really nice riding frame

seaswood
12-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Awesome it may be springtime but look forward to the ride.

velomateo
12-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Is that the one that sold on eBay recently? If so, I was watching that one - you got a good deal.

seaswood
12-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Is that the one that sold on eBay recently? If so, I was watching that one - you got a good deal.

Yes it was, I was looking at it for a week & decided I better buy it!

oliver1850
12-05-2016, 01:54 PM
The catalog lists 55 (54.5 TT) and 55EX (55.5 TT) geo but they must have used 55L in the serial number. In 1993 there were 3 TT lengths on the CRL, so both L and X were used, with the X geo being the longest.

cueoner
12-05-2016, 02:58 PM
TC55L

Any preferences for repaint shop or is Bilinkey as good as any?

Bilenky is good. You can also contact Bill McDonald in NY (former Serotta painter) who offers repainting services. Unfortunately the builder/painter who painted mine (Craig Foresta from Foresta frames) is no longer in the business.

seaswood
12-05-2016, 04:02 PM
The catalog lists 55 (54.5 TT) and 55EX (55.5 TT) geo but they must have used 55L in the serial number. In 1993 there were 3 TT lengths on the CRL, so both L and X were used, with the X geo being the longest.

TT measurement almost 56 center to center.
55.+ from front of seat tube to front of steerer not sure which is proper thought it was center to center.

oliver1850
12-05-2016, 04:16 PM
C to C is the way they were measured. Easy to be off .5 cm eyeballing the centers.

seaswood
12-05-2016, 04:20 PM
C to C is the way they were measured. Easy to be off .5 cm eyeballing the centers.

Yes it is rather hard to get center, thnx.

93legendti
12-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Very cool. I could be wrong, but I believe Dave Kirk said it was one of his favorite steel Serotta bikes.

regularguy412
12-05-2016, 06:10 PM
I had a 53L TG until it (and I) lost a battle with a mini-van. The L was for the slightly longer top tube. In this case , it was 53 st x 55 tt. I rode it a lot as a 2nd bike. Liked it quite well, but when pushed hard in corners, I thot it kinda steered funny. Like the front wheel wanted to turn in more -- attempt to jack-knife. At slower speeds it was just fine. It's now hanging in my basement with a destroyed rear triangle.

Mike in AR:beer:

seaswood
12-06-2016, 08:40 AM
I had a 53L TG until it (and I) lost a battle with a mini-van. The L was for the slightly longer top tube. In this case , it was 53 st x 55 tt. I rode it a lot as a 2nd bike. Liked it quite well, but when pushed hard in corners, I thot it kinda steered funny. Like the front wheel wanted to turn in more -- attempt to jack-knife. At slower speeds it was just fine. It's now hanging in my basement with a destroyed rear triangle.

Bilenkys can fix that triangle.

rccardr
12-06-2016, 11:54 AM
A Colorado LT (pretty sure it was a '93) that I purchased from VAV here on the forum. Needed a bit of work on the top tube braze-ons & got a nice paint job in '83 Ford Mustang Teal by Al Wanta.

The Tricolor group came after the paint job & before it got moved on to the wife of a local guy. Nice bike:

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/93%20Serotta%20CO%20LT/SerottaCOltrightside_zps677250d8.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rccardr/media/93%20Serotta%20CO%20LT/SerottaCOltrightside_zps677250d8.jpg.html)

Big Dan
12-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Mine is 91 or 92. Bought new.
Emerald/Onyx fade I think.
56L
Somewhere in my attic now.

http://i.imgur.com/AadAt0y.jpg

regularguy412
12-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Bilenkys can fix that triangle.

Thanks for the kind words. It actually has at least one other issue: Where my left knee hit the top tube, it's bent a bit there too,, just behind where the front brake cable stop sits. (where the butting probably gets thinner). So there is really a lot to 'fix' on it.

All three docs that attended while I was in the hospital said ' I can't believe you have no broken bones!' And I didn't, but I was dang sore for more than a couple weeks.

cueoner
12-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Here are my two Colorado LTs. The blue/pink one was originally white and I got it repainted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/cueoner/Serotta%20Colorado%20LT/IMG_6295.jpg
https://s13.postimg.org/tgid53tbb/Full_Size_Render_1.jpg

seaswood
12-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Installed Chris king head set, but with washer installed there are no threads left.
Shown with lock nut installed, the top of tube is 7 mm down from top of lock nut.
Assuming this will not work, wondering of options?
I would like to use that headset, appears steerer tube is not long enuf!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-h7NRvHs/0/M/IMG_0356-M.jpg

Peter P.
12-19-2016, 06:27 PM
...Liked it quite well, but when pushed hard in corners, I thot it kinda steered funny. Like the front wheel wanted to turn in more -- attempt to jack-knife. At slower speeds it was just fine...

The reason the bike felt that way to you was because it had too little fork rake, resulting in a high trail figure.

It makes me wonder whether it was just your taste in handling that you didn't care for it (others may not have minded or noticed), or whether the bike had the proper fork to begin with.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Installed Chris king head set, but with washer installed there are no threads left.
Shown with lock nut installed, the top of tube is 7 mm down from top of lock nut.
Assuming this will not work, wondering of options?
I would like to use that headset, appears steerer tube is not long enuf!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-h7NRvHs/0/M/IMG_0356-M.jpg

7mm is a lot. You can have the head tube faced..the top portion(don't uber face the bottom, it'll change geometry)..but you aren't going to get more than 2-3mm MAX. Some short stack HS..Some track HS, DA, old cup and ball.

seaswood
12-19-2016, 06:52 PM
7mm is a lot. You can have the head tube faced..the top portion(don't uber face the bottom, it'll change geometry)..but you aren't going to get more than 2-3mm MAX. Some short stack HS..Some track HS, DA, old cup and ball.

Yes 7mm is a lot too much :crap:

Either I clean up the ball set that was there felt rough see how it looks.
Or another fork carbon.
How does one measure to get the correct length of steerer tube?

regularguy412
12-19-2016, 07:08 PM
The reason the bike felt that way to you was because it had too little fork rake, resulting in a high trail figure.

It makes me wonder whether it was just your taste in handling that you didn't care for it (others may not have minded or noticed), or whether the bike had the proper fork to begin with.

Disclaimer: I don't know a 'whole' lot about front-center.

I 'inherited' this bike from my ex. Decided to make it my backup bike. I suspect that the extra 2 cm length top tube to make it a 53L might have been the culprit. I have a more rearward position on the bike. (think: French fit/GregL type stuff). This is mainly because I have longish arms and legs for my height. This puts my weight just slightly farther back. So maybe the combination of a slight change in geometry and my position might lend itself to more over-steer. My CSI that is 56 square and my Fondo Ti that is 56 square neither one have this characteristic -- and I raced the CSI hard for 3 years after first purchase.

Alas, the TG is now a piece of wall art in my basement. I liked it well enough to actually buy it twice ! :)

seaswood
12-20-2016, 04:12 AM
Disclaimer: I don't know a 'whole' lot about front-center.

I 'inherited' this bike from my ex. Decided to make it my backup bike. I suspect that the extra 2 cm length top tube to make it a 53L might have been the culprit. I have a more rearward position on the bike. (think: French fit/GregL type stuff). This is mainly because I have longish arms and legs for my height. This puts my weight just slightly farther back. So maybe the combination of a slight change in geometry and my position might lend itself to more over-steer. My CSI that is 56 square and my Fondo Ti that is 56 square neither one have this characteristic -- and I raced the CSI hard for 3 years after first purchase.

Alas, the TG is now a piece of wall art in my basement. I liked it well enough to actually buy it twice ! :)

Move the seat forward see if it changes .

regularguy412
12-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Move the seat forward see if it changes .

Uh. Well. It's kinda broke. Rear triangle trashed and top tube bent where my knee hit it (knee was between van grill and the bike when I got hit).

My point was that my other two bikes with slightly different geometry handle what I would consider neutral,, with my position on all three bikes being the same (reach, saddle height, etc.).

Thanks for input,
Mike

seaswood
12-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Is there a good way to determine correct steerer tube length needed?
Or is it just buy a fork with at least long enough tube that it could be cut if necessary.
Seems 173 mm would work with the Cris king headset

oliver1850
12-20-2016, 02:39 PM
If you have 7 mm gap, you need about 5 or 6 mm longer steerer if you want to use the King HS. Just measure the steerer, add 6 mm, and order a fork that's at least that long. A new off-the-shelf threaded fork is going to require trimming to length or extra spacers under the top nut. Dave Kirk can build you a pretty close replica of the original. I'm sure he'd make it to the exact length needed if you request it.

I would simply get a shorter stack headset. Tange Levin CDS is about 32 mm. King Gripnuts are around 39, so there's your 7 mm.

Black Dog
12-20-2016, 02:46 PM
If you have 7 mm gap, you need about 5 or 6 mm longer steerer if you want to use the King HS. Just measure the steerer, add 6 mm, and order a fork that's at least that long. A new off-the-shelf threaded fork is going to require trimming to length or extra spacers under the top nut. Dave Kirk can build you a pretty close replica of the original. I'm sure he'd make it to the exact length needed if you request it.

I would simply get a shorter stack headset. Tange Levin CDS is about 32 mm. King Gripnuts are around 39, so there's your 7 mm.

And there is a post with lots of very good advice. :D

seaswood
12-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Thnx have the shimano balls headset need to clean up see what shape they are in.
To use the Cris King I may look for a carbon fork & have both eventually.

seaswood
12-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Is there a resource of the geometry of Serotta's dimensions/angles?

Big Dan
12-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Check on the 1991 Serotta catalog.
The links are somewhere in the forum.

seaswood
12-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Check on the 1991 Serotta catalog.
The links are somewhere in the forum.

Thnx the 1991 catalog dimensions are not readable.

Big Dan
12-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Check the 1992 catalog. My LT is 92.

seaswood
12-21-2016, 05:07 PM
The 1991 does show the white as that year.
I cannot read either year spec sheets. 91-92.

Big Dan
12-21-2016, 05:07 PM
What size is your bike?
55L
Top tube 55.5
Head tube angle 73.5
seat tube angle 73.0
Chainstay 41.5
Fork rake 43
Fork height should be 365. (Dave K would know, he made a custom steel fork for mine?

seaswood
12-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Yes 55L thanks that helps.
The L I think brings size real close to 56 TX I have.

seaswood
12-31-2016, 12:08 PM
I went with this, when I clean the other head sets I will be able to use either.
Or I may just like this set up.
There really is not room for washer if the top of the inside of top nut needs to be flush with top of tube.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-M4BgcHF/0/M/IMG_0370-M.jpg

seaswood
01-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Everything's transfers from Centurion fine.
Will need new brakes for front fork.
Which is why this started, bought pads from lbs cheap & now I know why.
Pads picked up sand & scuffed wheels up pretty good before I realized what was happening.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-9Cp3pd6/0/M/IMG_0373-M.jpg

seaswood
03-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Have added TG decals missing after painting blue Serotta.
There are two small sets of "S" these are for the forks & ?
Where else?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-TSxJB5t/0/M/IMG_0551-M.jpg

oliver1850
03-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Looks like a generic decal set. Circa 2003 Serottas with carbon seatstays had an "S" on the side of the stay about level with the brake mounting hole and one on the fork crown just below the headset. The LT wouldn't have had a decal in either place.

seaswood
03-07-2017, 12:02 PM
I got that decal set to finish out the Colorado TG on this bike below, the other Serotta.
I assumed one set of small S could go on the carbon forks the other I was not sure where they could go?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-rshB6Xn/0/M/IMGP0122%20%281%29-M.jpg

oliver1850
03-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Sorry about overlooking that you were talking about the TG, but the same comments apply. I don't recall seeing seeing an "S" on the fork of a TG. The fork decals didn't come out until the TG was out of production. If you want to use all 4 the main triangle would be the logical place. Some the older Serottas had an "S" decal on the seat tube instead of "Serotta". Most of those had the chevrons, but a few just had the "S". To be correct, a TG should only have an "S" decal on the head tube.

seaswood
03-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Thanks, it has a S on head tube & behind seat tube, the Colorado TG & chain stay decals got left off. I bought this set just for those.
I will leave the rest alone, it looks good as is.
The carbon fork I got for the Lt has small s on each side, right or not they are there.
Only other question I have is the CC versus CCL Serotta stickers on seat tube, they designate?

oliver1850
03-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Serotta would paint bikes in colors that they hadn't sourced matching model name decals for. I have an NHX that has colors intended for a Colorado II. As a result it doesn't have the NHX decal on the top tube. This is also very common with frames that got sent back to the factory for repaint. Factory repainted frames often have a Serotta decal on the top tube where the model name would have been, simply because they didn't have every model name on hand in every decal color. They always had the smaller Serotta decals on hand in most colors.

I think the LT is just a couple of years off from being available with the F1 fork. Certainly nothing wrong with using an F1 on an LT. Serotta supplied lots of frames in that era with AL forks, and many were upgraded to carbon within a few years.

I'm drawing a blank on the CC/CCL stickers. Picture might help.

seaswood
03-10-2017, 10:16 AM
This is https://seaswood.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-X5nbVtv/A

It would not load picture not sure why.

dougdye
03-10-2017, 12:55 PM
wrong post

oliver1850
03-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Colorado Concept and Colorado Concept Light. The CC would have been correct for a Colorado CR and the CCR for CRL. The TG used the CC tubing. You can see the red decal in the picture in the 1993 catalog.

seaswood
03-12-2017, 08:47 AM
The older Serotta brochures are hard to read unfortunately.
The F1 fork was used to compensate for the Chris king headset that needed more threads. The old ball bearing headset is cleaned ready to install someday.
The blue TG frame has a EMS composite fork, EK?
Is that a carbon fork?
Looks like the Lt is 55L & TG is 56L. No production # on the Lt, assuming higher production numbers there

seaswood
04-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Twin serotta's!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Serotta/i-tRsVwgm/0/M/IMG_0666-M.jpg