PDA

View Full Version : Tips for adjusting Campy Deltas?

KJMUNC
12-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Pouring here all day so I recabled my Lemond....forgot how big of a pain in the ass Delta brakes are :crap:

So here's my issue: no matter how tight I torque down the bolt that holds the cable, it still slips if I grab a fistful of brake. I basically started with the pads tight against the rim and then squeezed the brake to stretch the cable, but the bolt keeps slipping the cable further than I want it, which opens the calipers farther then I'd like.

Any tips/tricks to setting them up and getting your pads close to the rim?

johnmdesigner
12-03-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm no expert but this is how I set mine up:
I used some styrene material and cut two shims to place between the rim and the brake pad. Then I clamped all of it to the rim.
Pulled the cable down with pliers as hard as I could and then tightened the screw.
Pull out the shims.

I'm not quite sure if I understand your situation but I've never really grabbed them so tightly as to pull the cable out from the set screw. Perhaps there is a lot of lubricant on the cable there?
There are some videos on youtube but seems pretty straight forward.
Screw the cable adjuster all the way down before you cut?

thirdgenbird
12-03-2016, 07:05 PM
I used cable ties to hold the calipers where I wanted them at rest, pulled the cable snug with pliers, and tightened down the cable. No slip that I remember.

Wakatel_Luum
12-03-2016, 07:50 PM
I don't know about the cable slipping but I use my hand to hold the caliper arms down, then tighten...I then use the barrel adjuster to finish off...

Trick I learned was to get deltas to work well allow the arms to do their full throw, don't position pads too close to the rim...

19wisconsin64
12-03-2016, 08:28 PM
I recall switching the brake cables to Suntour Superbe Pro braided cable. These were easier to clamp. Also recall switching to the five pivot design vs. the original three pivot, this helped too.

lhuerta
12-04-2016, 01:14 AM
So here's my issue: no matter how tight I torque down the bolt that holds the cable, it still slips if I grab a fistful of brake.

...at the risk of stating the obvious, are you holding the anchor bolt with a 9mm open end wrench as you tighten allen head with a 3.5mm allen?

oldpotatoe
12-04-2016, 05:22 AM
Pouring here all day so I recabled my Lemond....forgot how big of a pain in the ass Delta brakes are :crap:

So here's my issue: no matter how tight I torque down the bolt that holds the cable, it still slips if I grab a fistful of brake. I basically started with the pads tight against the rim and then squeezed the brake to stretch the cable, but the bolt keeps slipping the cable further than I want it, which opens the calipers farther then I'd like.

Any tips/tricks to setting them up and getting your pads close to the rim?

Using a 9mm allen to hold the fitting as you tighten the bolt? Ooops, said right above. And yes, use the 3.5mm allen.

I open lever, barrel adjuster all the way 'in'. I pull cable tight with lots hanging out of the brake, tighten bolt, close the lever and squeeze. Then fine adjust with barrel adjust, cut cable flush with bottom of bolt/fitting.

ultraman6970
12-04-2016, 10:21 AM
I did this in a friends long time ago.

Wonder if this dude is using thinner cables or maybe coated cables and thats why he is getting slip? Carefull you can strip the stuff.

I used cable ties to hold the calipers where I wanted them at rest, pulled the cable snug with pliers, and tightened down the cable. No slip that I remember.

KJMUNC
12-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Figured it out I think.....hadn't been using the barrel adjusters and once I got the cable locked down I used that to get the adjustment I needed.

Pastashop
12-04-2016, 11:35 PM
http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2014/03/campagnolo-delta-brakes.html?m=1

oldpotatoe
12-05-2016, 05:41 AM
http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2014/03/campagnolo-delta-brakes.html?m=1

Ayup..using too small spacers under the brake block holders(they came with 4.3 and 5.6mm) or using them with blocks way worn down, they do get to their 'limit'. BUT when set up right, with proper spacer/rim combos..they work fine and dandy..I use them everyday on my Merckx.

Jobst(may he RIP) complained about a lot of stuff..hey, so do I!!! But I don't think he actually ever used them on one of his bikes. I use 'em, like 'em, for me they are fine. Even on old school Campag Delta XL tubie rims.

Wakatel_Luum
12-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I have three or four pairs of Record & Croce D'Aune deltas and never bothered to see if they were 3-5 pivot types...I just set them up the same and they all work well...

So many complaints about them but I've never had a problem?

oldpotatoe
12-06-2016, 05:37 AM
I have three or four pairs of Record & Croce D'Aune deltas and never bothered to see if they were 3-5 pivot types...I just set them up the same and they all work well...

So many complaints about them but I've never had a problem?

Well, a lot of stuff gets complained about when people hear or read about stuff 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th hand...and on the interweb, kinda becomes some sort of gospel, even if it isn't true. Even happens with pizza joints..

CampyorBust
12-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Well, a lot of stuff gets complained about when people hear or read about stuff 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th hand...and on the interweb, kinda becomes some sort of gospel, even if it isn't true. Even happens with pizza joints..

Like totally, we should go directly to the source…

https://youtu.be/qKjuTv85Maw

Its like the game of telephone…Kimmy Gibbler ends up turning into kiddy diddler. Whodathunkit? But there is a big difference just like with Delta gens.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Kim_zpsvhe9jpox.jpg